Outdoor Bars closed at 7PM????

cmdchiefthom

I'm wondering if recent cruisers aboard the Dawn, or Gem, Sun, etc., the older and smaller NCL ships, have noticed the nightlife on the outdoor spaces, including bar hours, could better be described as evening hours? I was recently amazed spending two weeks aboard the Gem, Topsiders, Bali Hi were usually closed by 8-9 pm, and the Great Outdoor bar by 7:30 or so. The weather was gorgeous, yet closing hours forced guests to find indoor venues to imbibe inside the ship which were crowded, loud and noisey, with horrible service. On the Escape or Getaway, seems to me there was always something going on around the pool deck, or Spice H2O late into the night. What gives NCL?????:(

Bars are one of a major source of revenues and it is really surprising and unusual to close shop early.

My guess is it may be an effect of pre-paid drink packages. Probably, they experienced that most late night bar customers have drink packages and are already a captured market. They can divert these guests to designated bars inside that can open late, and close outdoor bars early to save on cost, knowing that the guests have no choice but to make the most drink out of their package.

Just a guess.

This is disappointing to hear. We usually sit at a table at Bali Hi till at least 11 or 12 at night. I hope these shorter hours isn't the new norm.

Are you going on the Gem? Reason I ask is, as someone else posted, it is smoking on both sides now so that could be good or bad for you. I'd have to look at the recent Gem Dailies to see the hours for our trip. They did have a couple night parties out there so I'd guess one of the bars would be open for that, but again, I'd have to check.

Are you going on the Gem? Reason I ask is, as someone else posted, it is smoking on both sides now so that could be good or bad for you. I'd have to look at the recent Gem Dailies to see the hours for our trip. They did have a couple night parties out there so I'd guess one of the bars would be open for that, but again, I'd have to check.

We are looking to go again this Spring. Smoking was allowed on one side of the bar the last time we sailed the Gem. I'm not thrilled with the smoke but I am a former smoker and hubby is a smoker. One of the reason's we sit up there.

Meanwhile, on the Escape, we sat outside on the Waterfront with 50 of our newly made best drinking friends doing shots at 1AM at the 5 O'Clock Somewhere bar. :D

This made me LOL at work. I want to hang out with you on a cruise. (And your 50 new friends ;))

We were on the Gem for two weeks last October, November, and would go up to Bali Hi after dinner to have an after dinner cigar. Most often, the bar was closed by 8:30-9, but ashtrays were left out, so passengers spread out where ever they wanted at the tables on both sides of the ship. The observation lounge was usually open until 11 or so and that wasn't far to get a beverage.;) Problem with that was, on our second week, there was a group of 400+ folks on a Aquafest charter, and the observation lounges was closed for a private function!:(/COLOR]