Alcoholic Beverage Package & Added Gratuities

Tarnished45

We're booked on Epic next year and as part of the deal we have the drinks package.

The gratuities have been added to our booking to pay before sailing. Even if they weren't we would tip each bar server while on board.

So my thread IS NOT about avoiding paying gratuities.

What I don't understand is how legally NCL can require you to pay the gratuities on something they have given you free that has cost $0.

Can anyone explain this to me please? :confused::confused::confused:

We're booked on Epic next year and as part of the deal we have the drinks package.

The gratuities have been added to our booking to pay before sailing. Even if they weren't we would tip each bar server while on board.

What I don't understand is how legally NCL can require you to pay the gratuities on something they have given you free that has cost $0.

Just think of the $100.00 prepaid gratuity as exactly that and don't pay anymore on board. Unless you get Great service and feel the need

Just think of the $100.00 prepaid gratuity as exactly that and don't pay anymore on board. Unless you get Great service and feel the need

I don't have any issue with the gratuity.

I just wondered how they can do it :) :) :)

Where did you book?

If in the U.K. then I think you may be confused between the different gratuities. We don't pay any gratuity on the beverage package that you get as a promo.

I wonder if what you are seeing is the daily service charge, which is nothing to do with gratuities on drinks, and is paid by everyone (although can be adjusted).

What does it say on your confirmation, and how much is it. The Daily service charge is £8.50 per day (unless you are in a suite) and on my confirmations it says "service charges".

Edited by KeithJenner

On our recent 7 day cruise with the free UDP, we were each charged $99.54. It is still better then paying for the entire weeks beverages. I looked at it this way, we got the UDP for free only, we just payed the gratuities on it.

Edited by hannibal54

The OP isn't complaining about it. They are just asking how it is legal to charge it.

The answer to that question is that in the U.K. It appears not to be legal, which is why NCL don't charge it.

That's why I assume the OP has got confused between the different charges and what they see on their confirmation is actually the DSC.

Either that or they booked overseas in which case whether it is legal in the U.K. Is irrelevant.

OP

Here in the US you have many vacation type places now charging extra.

Las Vegas has a resort fee they now charge at hotels.

US hotel/water parks are doing the same.

Many major city hotels have a daily parking fee.

Buying tickets to a sporting event yep pay a processing fee.

As long as there are $$$$ to be made corporations will continue to "find" ways to charge the consumer.

As mentioned above if you are from the U.K. , unless it's changed recently you don't pay.

You evidently booked through US site where this is legal. Since the ship has an 18 1/2% gratuity automatically added to drinks purchased onboard, it puts that total gratuity charge on the included beverage package since it won't then be charged onboard.

OP

As long as there are $$$$ to be made corporations will continue to "find" ways to charge the consumer.

As mentioned above if you are from the U.K. , unless it's changed recently you don't pay.

We have all those things in the UK too. The issue raised is that the charge is on something which is free. From the discussions I've seen on here many people from the US question this as well (even though it isn't actually illegal).

I booked in the UK yesterday and got the UBP and we do not pay any extra gratuities on top. Here the price you see is the price you pay, same as when you go to a shop if it says £19.99 that's what you pay at the till no added extra tax. It is already included in the price.

What I did elect to have added and prepay was the daily service charge at £59.50 per week per person.

I am not sure why any UK resident would book via the US with the horrible exchange rate for us.

You evidently booked through US site where this is legal. Since the ship has an 18 1/2% gratuity automatically added to drinks purchased onboard, it puts that total gratuity charge on the included beverage package since it won't then be charged onboard.

Where did you get the 1/2? It's 18%.

I am not sure why any UK resident would book via the US with the horrible exchange rate for us.

I don't think they necessarily did. I think they may be seeing the DSC and assuming it's the gratuity on the beverage package.

It would be handy if the OP can back to stop all the speculation.

OP

I agree, if 'they' can find some other charge(s) to add 'they' will. But the OP is curious as to how a gratuity can be added to something that is 'free'. I know it is something that we will have to pay(US and Canada) but really it does not make sense to charge 18% on $0.00

The cost of the service is 100% irrelevant. Someone prepares your drink for you the same way no matter how much it costs you. The bottom line is this. If you do not like the fact that NCL adds the 18% of the value of the package as a gratuity then pick a different freebie!

We have all those things in the UK too. The issue raised is that the charge is on something which is free. From the discussions I've seen on here many people from the US question this as well (even though it isn't actually illegal).

The fact that the promotion offers the DRINKS for free has nothing to do with the fact that you still need to pay for the (what would normally be automatic) 18% gratuities on those drinks. The promotion doesn't say free drinks AND gratuities.

To be technical... NCL refers to this as a service charge.

It's doesn't matter that they give you the drinks for free, the servers and bar tenders still need to be paid what would typically be 18% of the drink purchase price. This part of their compensation. To insure this, NCL charges 18% of what the UBP would normally cost to insure that the crew gets it's due.

When getting unlimited drinks for free, the gratuity can often get overlooked, or be difficult to determine correctly. Charging up front removes these issues.

Dan

From NCL:

Guest is responsible for 18% gratuities & service charges on the retail value of the Ultimate Beverage Package and/or Soda Package prior to cruise, except when booking a Haven or Suite.

Retail value of Ultimate Beverage Package is $79 USD per person per day. Package price is subject to change.

Retail value of the Adult Soda Package is $7.50 USD per person per day. Package price is subject to change.

Edited by The Fun Researcher

The fact that the promotion offers the DRINKS for free has nothing to do with the fact that you still need to pay for the (what would normally be automatic) 18% gratuities on those drinks. The promotion doesn't say free drinks AND gratuities.

It's doesn't matter that they give you the drinks for free, the servers and bar tenders still need to be paid what would typically be 18% of the drink purchase price. This part of their compensation. To ensure this, NCL charges 18% of what the UBP would normally cost to insure that the crew gets it's due.

When getting unlimited drinks for free, the gratuity can often get overlooked, or be difficult to determine correctly. Charging up front removes these issues.

Dan

From NCL:

Guest is responsible for 18% gratuities & service charges on the retail value of the Ultimate Beverage Package and/or Soda Package prior to cruise, except when booking a Haven or Suite.

Retail value of Ultimate Beverage Package is $79 USD per person per day. Package price is subject to change.

Retail value of the Adult Soda Package is $7.50 USD per person per day. Package price is subject to change.

The long version of what I just said.

It's doesn't matter that they give you the drinks for free, the servers and bar tenders still need to be paid what would typically be 18% of the drink purchase price. This part of their compensation. To insure this, NCL charges 18% of what the UBP would normally cost to insure that the crew gets it's due.

Dan

From NCL:

I basically agree with what you say (I'm not the one asking the question), but it misses the point.

The OP asked how it can be legal for NCL to charge him. The answer, as far as we know, is that it isn't legal, which is why they don't charge us.