First RCCL Cruise Nov. 20

bethsheb

This is our first cruise on RCCL. Actually we have only been on about 3 other cruises. I have a few concerns I am sure all you pros out there can help me with. I am bringing my 10 year old and want to be sure I can keep in communication with him on the ship. Is it better if he has a cell phone or bring our own walkie talkies. (I am the nervous type and need to know where he is at all times). Also, when he goes into an age appropriate kids room are there people there to kind of watch them or are the 10 year olds on their own? Also, we booked a Grand Suite. Is anyone familiar with the perks that might be included such as is there free room service and/or free mini bar. I drink tons of bottled water and was wondering if I will be paying $3.00 per bottle or some outrageous price each time I want a bottle of water. I know about the soda deal if you purchase it in advance but that is good for my son. Thanks for any info.

Which ship will you be on? Cell phones typically have no service so a walkie talkie would be a better choice. The 10 year old kids club is supervised as a group in general. Ten is a bit too young to have free rein on any ship (in my opinion) No free water unless your ship has a Concierge club. There are free drinks (alcohol and sodas at various times) inside the club room. The room is accessable by a card key which is delivered to your stateroom. Have a great trip!

......and the water on board is freshly desalinated by reverse osmosis and is delicious and probably of higher quality than your average bottled water.

All room service is free, except for the tip of a few dollars you'll want to give to your delivery person.

Mini bar is a small not-very-cold refrigerator with feel-free-to-buy-them sodas and water.

You will LOVE your GS. The Mariner has a Concierge Lounge, and there will be free drinks, alcoholic and otherwise, before dinner. (times vary: 5 or 5:30 to 8 or 8:30 P.M.)

Well, I guess I would have thought the same way, however I drink more than most people and never go anywhere without water. I buy water by the cases and/or no calorie drinks. Whatever it is it is but was just curious. Cruises tend to put weight on many people and although I am not much on caring about the food I do care more about being able to continue my water intake and if it is 3.00/bottle the way I drink it could really add up more than an average liquor drinker. (Thank goodness I don't smoke).

Also, I thought the rate for a GS was extremely reasonable. I guess maybe because I booked early on or maybe because I am getting more room for our money than when we went on Caribbean Princess.

Oh well to each his own. Have a great sail! :)

We will be on Mariner of the Seas. Do you know if the 10 year olds have to sign in and out of the kids rooms. Last ship I was on I had to sign him in or out unless I gave him permission and I didn't. I am with you I believe 10 years old is too young to run free, especially since I always want to know where he is at all times. Hopefully there won't be other 10 year olds running around so at least I can let him know that he must be in a designated spot.

Mariner does have a conceirge lounge. Visit when the conceirge is in there, and you'll get beverages.

For water, there is always cold water available in Cafe Promenade, although they ask that you not refill water bottles there to control the spread of diseases. You might want to bring a travel cup, or sports bottle and drink your water out of there. (Using their paper cups to transfer the water.) It is just as good as bottled water, if not better.

Additional perks in a GS are robes, and a plate with treats delivered to your cabin every afternoon. (A fruit plate, a couple of brownies, etc.)

The "tap" water is free. You can go up to any bar on the ship, and they are everywhere, and just ask for ice water. They will give you a tall glass of "tap" water with ice for absolutely no charge. I did this all the time and found it to taste fine. There is no need to pack cases of water unless you are very very picky about your water. But i think Merion Mom is right.

Guest cruzr44
This is our first cruise on RCCL. Actually we have only been on about 3 other cruises. I have a few concerns I am sure all you pros out there can help me with. I am bringing my 10 year old and want to be sure I can keep in communication with him on the ship. Is it better if he has a cell phone or bring our own walkie talkies. (I am the nervous type and need to know where he is at all times). Also, when he goes into an age appropriate kids room are there people there to kind of watch them or are the 10 year olds on their own? Also, we booked a Grand Suite. Is anyone familiar with the perks that might be included such as is there free room service and/or free mini bar. I drink tons of bottled water and was wondering if I will be paying $3.00 per bottle or some outrageous price each time I want a bottle of water. I know about the soda deal if you purchase it in advance but that is good for my son. Thanks for any info.

I drink a lot of water too and if you are able to buy a case (or 2) of water on your way to the ship, put a cabin tag on the case and check it with your luggage. They will deliver it to your cabin. Tip the porter as if it were a piece of luggage.

We will be on Mariner of the Seas. Do you know if the 10 year olds have to sign in and out of the kids rooms. Last ship I was on I had to sign him in or out unless I gave him permission and I didn't. I am with you I believe 10 years old is too young to run free, especially since I always want to know where he is at all times. Hopefully there won't be other 10 year olds running around so at least I can let him know that he must be in a designated spot.

Kids in the 9-11 year old Adventure Ocean program can sign themselves out only if their parent signs a permission form.

FYI - this age group also does a scavenger hunt on the ship -- again, your child can only participate if you sign a permission form and there are check-in procedures where the kids on scavenger hunt have radion or phone contact with their counselors in Adventure Ocean every few minutes.

Archived