Pride of America Feb 2017

Blondie2017

Good morning!

I'm getting excited about our trip! We haven't cruised for a LONG time and are doing some things a bit differently than other times we have gone :) As a result I have a few questions:

1. Tendering, do you get tickets for this and if so how far in advance? We have a tour booked for 815am and want to be sure to be on the first tender (we didn't book through the cruise line)

2. We are renting a car on Hilo and would like to go the volcanoe national park. Is there enough time to do both the crater drive as well as the drive and walk to the end of the chain of craters? How long approx does the chain of craters drive take? I've read 45 minutes to 3 hours???

3. We want to be sure to see the lava flow from the ship. Is it off the port or starboard side and is the information posted ahead of time as to what time?

4. Does anyone have suggestions as to what to do/how to avoid all the crowds on boarding day? We want to have a relaxing day and be sure to not miss the safety drill!

5. Anything you wish you knew ahead of time? Hints as to best viewing/least crowded viewing, secret little spots :)

Thanks everyone!

Good morning!

I'm getting excited about our trip! We haven't cruised for a LONG time and are doing some things a bit differently than other times we have gone :) As a result I have a few questions:

1. Tendering, do you get tickets for this and if so how far in advance? We have a tour booked for 815am and want to be sure to be on the first tender (we didn't book through the cruise line)

Tender tickets were available starting at 6:30 a.m. - all members of your party had to be there to get them. It will be posted in the dailies.

2. We are renting a car on Hilo and would like to go the volcanoe national park. Is there enough time to do both the crater drive as well as the drive and walk to the end of the chain of craters? How long approx does the chain of craters drive take? I've read 45 minutes to 3 hours???

Can't help you here - we did a private tour and did not do the walk.

3. We want to be sure to see the lava flow from the ship. Is it off the port or starboard side and is the information posted ahead of time as to what time?

Lava flow was off the starboard side beginning at 9:45 p.m. Yes, the info will be posted and announced.

4. Does anyone have suggestions as to what to do/how to avoid all the crowds on boarding day? We want to have a relaxing day and be sure to not miss the safety drill!

We got on the ship, ate lunch, then went to see King K's statue and Ioni Palace. We then went back on the ship and sat deck 10 aft - no crowds.

5. Anything you wish you knew ahead of time? Hints as to best viewing/least crowded viewing, secret little spots :)

Thanks everyone!

Just keep reading all the reviews you can! On here and the Hawaii message board!

Good morning!

Thanks everyone!

I'll answer what I can.

1. As previously stated, the time and info re tender tickets, and this is for Kona only, will be posted in the Freestyle Daily. For us, it was in Pinks Lounge. Be there before the stated time if you want the first tender. All in your party have to be there. If you're in a suite, the concierge will walk you off.

2. I'd ask this question on the Hawaii Board.

3. They'll post the sail by info in the Freestyle Daily the night before. You'll probably want to stake out a good deck spot early ( if you don't have a balcony cabin that side ), but I'd opt for a port side cabin due to the Na Pali sail by.

4. Not sure if you mean on the ship or during check in. Check in was a breeze for us in the early afternoon. I think because sailaway is so late and many people are touring, the process is much more spread out than the typical cruise. I would suspect it busy early, 10:00 to 11:00 and then again after 1:00 or so.

5. Get a deck map and find the Aloha Lanai. It is behind the Garden Cafe, on the aft of the ship, open air but covered. Has its own bar, mini buffet, or you can easily walk food out from the buffet for any meal. Has dining tables and chairs and also lovely padded couches and chairs facing that great aft view. This is usually uncrowded and a great place for breakfasts, lunches, sailaways, sunsets. There is soft lighting at night, and a few nights there was live music there. Nothing loud. When you leave Hilo, you will have a very long view of the island from there as the ship sails out and then turns and follows the coast.

Next to the Aloha Lanai, and with doors which open onto the lanai, is Moderno. This was open for breakfast with fruits, pastries, etc as well as a cooked to order station. It opens a little later than the main buffet. i think most people don't even know these two spots exist, or think Moderno is for suite guests.

There is also a newly refurbished spot, maybe on 13? It was a work in progress during our last cruise immediately post dry dock. It has a mini pool with various levels of decks around. Lots of padded seating. Much more secluded and private compared to the main pool deck.

Thanks everyone! This is all really great information! Since I'm new to CC where do I go to the Hawaii message board? Just posting a note proved tricky for me :D

See if this link works for you: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=62

If not, go to top of this page where it says "community" - the go to "message boards" - the go to "ports of call" and you will see hawaii listed.