Carnival Valor - first cruise in 10 years

TexAggie10

Howdy!

My husband is coming back from deployment and we are going on a cruise in March. This will be his 1st and my 4th (but it's been a while) the last cruise I took was in July 2010 so I have a few "newbie" questions that I hope y'all can help me with...

1. Do we need passports? I don't remember ever having to use them but wanted to make sure.

2. Generally, what is the price for drinks on the ship? What's the average spent? We are trying to budget for it. Is the prepaid $50 card worth it?

3. What are some good but not too pricy excursions in Progresso? This will be the first time I've been there and from what I've seen on carnivals website it's mainly ruins/site-seeing.

4. We are looking at staying in an interior room but have the option to choose a room with a picture view. How does that compare to just a regular room?

Those are all of the questions I have for now. I'm sure more will come up.

Any other tips will be greatly appreciated [emoji4]

Thanks in advance!

-Kelli

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

How exciting! You both are going to have so much fun!

As for your questions, I can only answer a few:

No you dont need passports if it's a closed loop cruise (leaving and returning to the same port)

Drink prices vary but approx $8-$12 and gratuity is added. If you drink alot on vacation like hubby and I do, get the Cheers package ;)

Never been to Progesso

Never had a picture view room either.

Have lots of fun!!

We were just on Valor in December right before it moved from FL to TX and we loved the ship. Y'all should have a great time!

1. Nope, you don't need them - birth certificate and picture ID are all that is required for closed loop cruises (Where you leave and return to the same US port) BUT the usual caveat applies - if an emergency happens and you have to fly home from a foreign port, you must have a passport for that. It is a well-documented PITA to get one in an emergency but not impossible. Most people sail just fine without ever needing it but if you have time (this March is cutting it pretty close) and the cost doesn't bother you (about 125 each or thereabouts) it won;t hurt to get one. You can also get a passport card for around 30 bucks (I think) but that still won't let you fly. It will let you drive back and forth between US, Canada and Mexico.

2. beers start around 5.50 plus auto tip and mixed drinks are in the 8 ~12 dollar range and more if you get fancy sidecars and top shelf and all that. I honestly tried to make a case for the Cheers package but I just couldn't justify it. I LOVE beer but couldn't drink enough to make the package worth it to me. Bear in mind both of you have to purchase (everyone in a cabin over 21 has to get the package) so you both need to drink enough to do it. I suppose I could have had single malt scotches every time I turned around and that would have more than covered the cost but I don't think my liver could take it. So what I did was just buy a beer or mixed drink whenever I felt like it at whatever venue I was at and I had a great time, I never felt like I didn't get enough to drink and and I spent WAY less than the 800ish dollars it would have cost us for our 7 day cruise. If they would let me and my wife share a package, even with the 15 drink limit I would have thought that was a good deal. She doesn't drink much so 2 packages would just be silly for us.

3. Haven't been to Progresso but we went to ancient city of Tulum from Cozumel and I loved that even though it was a lot of walking through hot, Mexico, July sun. Not sure if you can get there from Progresso. Beautiful scenery for picture taking, interesting history, knowledgeable guide that made sure us old, fat people were keeping up and not about to die. (The young 'uns had no problem it seemed so it might just be me. ;) ) I wanted to see Mayan ruins and I did and I'm glad I did. Will consider others next time.

4. So far we've only had balconies although my wife keeps telling me I could go on more cruises if I didn't insist on a balcony every time. I told her we should still take more cruises but also get balconies every time. I suspect she's gonna win that one. If, on a future cruise, I can't have a balcony, I'd definitely want a picture window. Or a porthole. Our son and DIL get interiors every time. They DO go on more cruises than we do but only because they started much sooner than we did. We didn't know we loved cruising until last July really lol.

extra tips from me to you:

• Water shoes still need socks if you're gonna be hiking through Mayan ruins. Get those little no-show socks. Your feet will thank you.
  • No matter where you are on the boat, where you need to be is at the other end. Get used to it. :)
  • Stuff will happen but it does not have to ruin anything. 100% of the Carnival crew I've met so far have been pleasant to downright awesome. They want to fix problems so don't stew on a problem - if something comes up let them know.
  • Think of tips as part of the cost of vacation and spread them around as liberally as you are comfortable with and can afford. YOU get to decide how much that is. There will be people who go out of their way to make sure you have a good time. Those people I like to make sure get a little something extra - search for the many tipping threads here to get an idea of what many others do - there are many strong opinions on tipping (and mine is one of them) so just read and see what appeals to you. You and your husband have darn sure earned a vacation and you get to decide how best to do it.
  • Sun screen on the ship is more expensive than your local drug store. A lot.
  • Make dinner reservations in the steakhouse on the first night and they will give you a free bottle of wine or 50% off any other bottle. Folks who know are not convinced the free one is worth it lol. But the 50% off bottle is often very nice.
  • Lastly, for now, Have fun!

Re: excursions in Progreso

My husband did the kayaking excursion with Carnival and thoroughly enjoyed it.

My friend and I took the shuttle bus into town (the world's longest pier, 4 miles) and then walked/rode my scooter a couple of blocks to the water where we each got a wonderful massage on the beach CHEAP ($25 maybe?) and then hung out in seats under an umbrella in the sand for a perfect beach day.

Re: oceanview cabin

It reeeeeeally is nice to be able to see what's going on outside. Having cruised in both super-dark interiors (phenomenal for sleeping) and OV cabins, I always book one with a window now. Totally worth the small price difference.

Please thank your husband for his service to us!

WOW! thank you all so much. this has been really helpful. We are still on the fence about the Cheers package. I wasn't old enough to drink on the previous cruises so I'm not really familiar with the pricing and what not. Guess we still have some time to figure that out.

Another question: I get motion sickness and the previous cruises I wore a patch behind my ear. Do those still exist or is there a pill I can take? Also, where's the best place on the ship for the cabin. The room we are currently looking at is on deck 6, which I like cause I remember being towards the bottom and waiting FOREVER to get off the boat. Just curious :)

Thanks again for all of the advice!!

*Original post edit: I realized I put that my last cruise was in 2010, it was actually in July 2006 on Carnival Conquest.

Another question: I get motion sickness and the previous cruises I wore a patch behind my ear. Do those still exist or is there a pill I can take? Also, where's the best place on the ship for the cabin. The room we are currently looking at is on deck 6, which I like cause I remember being towards the bottom and waiting FOREVER to get off the boat. Just curious :)

Get a ReliefBand. Great for motion sickness.

Least motion on the ship is midship. From there, the lower it gets, the less motion. Forward has the most motion, even if on lowest deck.

Everyone seems to be answering your questions but I wanted to throw in one good tip! If you are eating in the Lido buffet and are looking for a good table go out the back of the buffet to the aft pool and there are some tables at the very back of the ship that never seemed too crowded and have a great view of the wake out behind you! You are going to have a great time! I absolutely loved Valor, she is a great ship!

WOW! thank you all so much. this has been really helpful. We are still on the fence about the Cheers package. I wasn't old enough to drink on the previous cruises so I'm not really familiar with the pricing and what not. Guess we still have some time to figure that out.

Thanks again for all of the advice!!

*Original post edit: I realized I put that my last cruise was in 2010, it was actually in July 2006 on Carnival Conquest.

Cheers package is $49.95 per person per day if booked ahead of time. It includes 15 drinks per day so long as EACH drink is under $50. It also includes specialty coffees, energy drinks, and milk shakes.

Basically, cocktails run $8-12 each (beer is obviously cheaper) so 5-6 of those a day and you will break even....or if you're like me 10-12 of those a day and it makes Cheers totally worth it haha.

One thing to remember, Cheers isnt available first day on the ship as Texas liquor laws are... irritating. You wont be charged for that day though.

I'll chime in about Progresso , since I have been there 3 times. If you want to go on an excursion, take a look (on Carnival's website) and see what would interest you. After you have figured that out, then go to the independent operator's website (autoprogreso dot com) and find the equivalent one there. They are significantly cheaper than Carnival's excursions, and usually are the company that provides transportation for all of Carnival's excursion. If you want to see ruins, I highly recommend Ushmal over Chitzen Itza. Shorter drive time, less crowded, and you can climb some of the ruins. Very impressive place. I wasn't impressed with the beach. It is on the Gulf of Mexico, so the water is brownish, not a crystal clear blue. Also, I have never been more harassed by the locals than ANY other place I have ever been to. While eating inside a restaurant, three different vendors came inside to offer us bootlegged DVD's, fake Cuban cigars, straw hats, and even other types of food. The beer ($1) and beach massages ($25 per hour) may be cheap, but you do so at your own risk. If you have a specific question, I will be more than happy to answer it.

Eric

Thanks for all of the replies! Super helpful! Keep them coming! [emoji4][emoji4]

This might be a dumb/silly question but we don't have to get off the boat at port, right? Nothing really is sparking my interest in progresso in all honesty lol

This might be a dumb/silly question but we don't have to get off the boat at port, right? Nothing really is sparking my interest in progresso in all honesty lol

No, you do not. In Progreso, if you do decide just to step on dry land, they do have a small village with a handful of shops. It is right there, after you exit the ship. To go into town, you will need to board a bus that will take you to a terminal, that is approximately 5 miles from the ship. You can not walk into town, since the pier is 4 miles long, and is not open to foot traffic. If you stay on the ship, while in port, you will be able to enjoy all the ship's amenities without all the people. I think the MDR is closed for lunch, but everything else should be open.

Cheers package is $49.95 per person per day if booked ahead of time. It includes 15 drinks per day so long as EACH drink is under $50. It also includes specialty coffees, energy drinks, and milk shakes.

Basically, cocktails run $8-12 each (beer is obviously cheaper) so 5-6 of those a day and you will break even....or if you're like me 10-12 of those a day and it makes Cheers totally worth it haha.

One thing to remember, Cheers isnt available first day on the ship as Texas liquor laws are... irritating. You wont be charged for that day though.

Thanks! I think we are going to get the package. Might as well!! Thanks!

Thanks for all of the replies! Super helpful! Keep them coming! [emoji4][emoji4]

Unless something just really excites you, the best excursion in Progresso is to stay on the boat. We referred to it as Pro-gross-oh. The locals are very pushy in town and it's just not a really pretty place.

Another question...

What time do you usually get off the ship back at port? I know it says 8am but know it'll take a while to actually leave. We have a wedding at 2:30 the day we get back about 2.5 hours away [emoji51]

Typically you're back in port before as the sun is coming up. We've always been off between 8 & 9am but we weren't in any hurry to get off since we were just driving back to the DFW metroplex and didn't have to catch flights. But, I see no reason you shouldn't be able to make a 2:30 wedding

Edited by BlondieB

• 2 weeks later...

Passport is not needed. If you are coming from a state with enhanced DL - you can use those - or birth certificate. Check with your booking agent for more info.

Cheers package things to know: everyone over 21 in the same cabin has to purchase. It's worth it if you drink more than 7? drinks a day. I have the actual info on a blog I wrote - http://www.kineappleunderpants.com - that gives out some hints and info.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. We've cruised out of Galveston several times - and have always left the ship by 10:00 am when we do it by zones. We are platinum so we've been the first ones off before as well.

Have a great trip.

One thing I don't see mentioned is that the name on the birth certificate needs to match your picture ID and I see you mentioned that you are married. I'm guessing that your married name is on your picture ID so you should bring a bridging document to substantiate the name change, ie marriage certificate.

We loved the valor!

Can't answer your room question - we always sail balcony.

How much you spend, depends on what you do.

We always pay for gratuities, excursions, spa reservations, etc. prior to ever sailing so we don't have to worry about those costs.

We aren't big drinkers ... do the math on the number of drinks Carnival will allow you per day x the amount of the package to determine if it's worth if for you. We usually have a glass of wine w/ dinner now & then and a mixed drink once or twice. Not worth the Cheers package. Same w/ Bubbles ... we don't drink soda so it's not worth it.

Shore excursions can be cheaper booked off the boat. Research the area you are traveling and look at options.