Lobster Murano and Crepes Ballon Rouge Preparation and Recipe...

Stockjock

Just back from the Eclipse and man did we have fun, despite being a bit under the weather. I've been on a lot of cruise ships including MSC, Carnival, Croisieres de France/Pullmantur, Carnival, RCL, Norwegian, Princess, etc, but I hadn't been on Celebrity in somewhere between 10 and 15 years. Glad to report the experience was still outstanding and the food was still superior (although I think portions were previously bigger).

We had this really delicious (and evil) flambeed lobster dish in the Murano Specialty Restaurant called "Lobster Murano". Here's how they made it. Not really too complicated, but man was it good...

[YOUTUBE]yNYDldhnxh4[/YOUTUBE]

We also enjoyed Crepes Ballon Rouge for dessert...

[YOUTUBE]v-R6xCjtFrU[/YOUTUBE]

Did you thank Hendrik with a small gratuity? I would think so but this is our first time on X and not sure what the custom is. Thanks for sharing this! Definitely having Murano Lobster!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Did you thank Hendrik with a small gratuity? I would think so but this is our first time on X and not sure what the custom is. Thanks for sharing this! Definitely having Murano Lobster!

No, we did not. We paid the standard daily gratuity. I'm sure that you could do that if you wish to, but I don't think he would receive it personally.

Just a word of warning, you run a very high chance of a chewy, stringy lobster. We have eaten in Murano frequently enjoying the UDP on the last five cruises on Eclipse, Equinox and Reflection. Ask your waiter on the quality of the batch of lobster being served on your cruise before you order. I wouldn't take the risk any more and avoid totally, the Dover Sole is a better safer choice.

Totally agree that the warm water lobster served in Murano is a risky choice due to the hit and miss quality. We have had a superb lobster meal in Murano but also have had too many poor ones. Our waiter (Lorenzo) on Eclipse Murano earlier this year advised us that it is 50:50 chance of it being chewy, it is the nature of the lobster.

Just a word of warning, you run a very high chance of a chewy, stringy lobster. We have eaten in Murano frequently enjoying the UDP on the last five cruises on Eclipse, Equinox and Reflection. Ask your waiter on the quality of the batch of lobster being served on your cruise before you order. I wouldn't take the risk any more and avoid totally, the Dover Sole is a better safer choice.

We thought ours was very good, although the portion was small. Only 3 bites for me.

Because the whole concept of a gratuity is a reward for exemplary service. If someone provides a memorable experience, it is customary to reward them.

But this is the experience you're already paying for by paying the additional cover charge. Do you also tip extra when someone grates cheese onto your salad? Or refolds your napkin when you go to the restroom?

Can we please NOT turn my question into a "why should you tip extra" discussion? We will proceed as we would on shore....when an exemplary service is provided to us, we will act accordingly. To each their own...

we had the same meal and loved it!!! did not even think of asking how was the lobster, wow..

As for tipping, yes, we did, and were happy to do so, we thought we had amazing service there, and see no problem with adding extra tip on our bill when that happens, its like anywhere else we go, if we get great service and feel like it, why not! But I have to say that yes, service is included in the price you pay for these restaurants, and I have been on some, that we did not leave extra, to each their own!

frenchmeg

I would kill for that meal again lol the crêpe was sooo yummy!!

Can we please NOT turn my question into a "why should you tip extra" discussion? We will proceed as we would on shore....when an exemplary service is provided to us, we will act accordingly. To each their own...

You said you were not sure what the custom was so I was wondering why anyone would consider prep of a standard menu item to be anything that would warrant an extra tip. I'm not discussing whether or not to tip overall. I just don't see anything special with preparing your order that would automatically assume there should be an extra tip given.

Uh-oh. Here we go again

With what? It's a legitimate question. I'm truly dumbfounded why people think I'm "trying to start something." I tip generously all the time (I was a waiter in college), but that is based on the service for the entire meal. The intimation is that specific prep work would be considered worthy of earning something extra just because it's being done in front of you. Am I wrong?