Room safe

Groningen

I have read that I need to use an old magnetic strip credit card to open and close the room safe. As there are two of us, do we need to use the same card? That would not be very practical. Can we each use a different card? Thanks!

If your ship still uses a safe with a magnetic strip card, then yes, you both need to use the same card.

Find a decent hiding place in the cabin for the card, and keep it there.

Many (most?) ships have a safe that uses a combination to open/close.

When locking the safe, pay close attention to the numbers you entered. The safes are inside the closets and it's easy to punch a number button you didn't intend. You'll then find you cannot open your safe when you come back to it. Not that I've ever done that, mind you! :D

When locking the safe, pay close attention to the numbers you entered. The safes are inside the closets and it's easy to punch a number button you didn't intend. You'll then find you cannot open your safe when you come back to it. Not that I've ever done that, mind you! :D

Good point!

For safes that use a magnetic strip we use an old "whatever" card, like an expired AAA card or a library card... and we keep it in a pocket in a garment in the closet across from the safe... shhh, don't tell anyone.

I'm not sure I've been on a HAL ship that used magnetic cards, I think they are all a 4-digit code. I think the mag strip safes were on other lines. But I have had the joy of discovering that I needed Security to open the safe because I apparently used the wrong code to close it. Not good when on eis hurrying to the shore excursions gathering pint! It only took about 15 minutes for Security to come and save me. The lighting is poor for seeing the safes so it's critical to pay close attention to the numerals as they are entered and show up on the display briefly. m--

Helps to leave a small flashlight on the closet safe shelf, to see both the combo and contents more easily.

We have had the magnetic strip on at least one ship but it was some time ago - it was an inconvenience. Of late, all our HAL ships have been 4 digit codes.

Ah - been there - done that. Security will come right up and use their magic key to open the safe.