Reschedule Cruise Reservations?

cf3670

I am aware of NCL's cancellation policy, but wondering if they will accommodate rescheduling a cruise due to a death in the family? Our departure is in 2 weeks, and was informed through Hospice today that a family member has about 2 weeks. I have a bad feeling that we will have to cancel, but would like to reschedule to another date.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I am aware of NCL's cancellation policy, but wondering if they will accommodate rescheduling a cruise due to a death in the family? Our departure is in 2 weeks, and was informed through Hospice today that a family member has about 2 weeks. I have a bad feeling that we will have to cancel, but would like to reschedule to another date.

Sorry to hear about your family member. Just put a claim thru the travel insurance.

You didn't mention if you had insurance or not. If no, you're out of luck.

If you have a great PCC in NCL then phone and ask. If you are a good customer then I am sure that he/she would do everything possible to help. If you don't ask how are they to know what your situation is.

I think it would be great if Ncl accommodated them at no extra cost....

But then of course I would expect them to accommodate every single pax in this situation

Buy insurance!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm so sorry about your family member. Since you simply want to change the date and are not asking for a refund, NCL might accomodate you. But since you are technically cancelling and re-booking there might still be a cancellation fee.

It doesn't hurt to ask though.

Thanks for the responses. I did buy the insurance when we booked. I was just wondering if anyone had any experiences with rescheduling a booking, rather than just cancelling.

As others have said, rescheduling is effectively cancelling your existing reservation and then making a new one (even if the reservation# stays the same as it can happen for their convinience while making the changes).

Thanks for the responses. I did buy the insurance when we booked.
Was it the enhanced protection or the basic policy? Because from what you described in your first message, it sounds like your situation would not be covered by the basic policy (although you still get 75% future cruise credit for non-covered reasons).

If I read the basic policy correctly, which I have, it refers to immediate family. I'm not too concern about having to cancel and rebook for myself, it's for our friends who were going with us. They also have the basic insurance policy, but I'm not sure if they qualify under the terms of cancelling. This is why I posed the question about "rescheduling" our reservation.

It's not what NCL will cover, it's what the insurance company will cover. You won't get any money back from NCL. When my mom was diagnosed with an aggressive cancer, she had a cruise booked with other family members, 3 cabins. It took a lot of fighting, but eventually everyone got some money back, because they booked together.

But no, you can't move your cruise, you will need to cancel and rebook.

If I read the basic policy correctly, which I have, it refers to immediate family. I'm not too concern about having to cancel and rebook for myself, it's for our friends who were going with us. They also have the basic insurance policy, but I'm not sure if they qualify under the terms of cancelling.
The way I read it, the policy covers a Traveling Companion's Sickness and an Immediate Family Member's Sickness, but it does not cover a "Traveling Companion's Immediate Family Member's Sickness", so I'm afraid your friends would not be covered if they decided to cancel.

Also, in your case, your Immediate Family Member's Sickness has to be an illness that "commences while the plan is in effect". If they were already in hospice care when you purchased the policy, and depending on the exact details of the illness, I fear that the insurance company would try to exclude this as a pre-existing condition.