Advice for "elegant nights" on Carnival Sunshine

Skafos Phileo

• 3 months later...

That's a shame; I consider that the combination the mullet of business attire.

It's Elegant Night, not Boss is in town, try to look more professional without any serious effort night. I'll always wear a tuxedo.

//Every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man. ;)

More casual by the year. You will see more shirt and tie with no jacket and polo shirts than anything else. The cruise industry has evolved to more of an island resort feel instead of the stuffy early 20th century passenger ship atmosphere where it got its roots.

Some will still dress like they are a first class passenger on the Queen Mary in 1936, many more are dressing down though. Pick what suits you best.

A small percentage of people dress up, someone else said 25% which may be closer to being accurate. You still have the older folk who will wear a suit and tie or tux. Most guys will just wear khakis and a polo now. Myself included.

278790000-front-grid.jpg

A small percentage of people dress up, someone else said 25% which may be closer to being accurate. You still have the older folk who will wear a suit and tie or tux. Most guys will just wear khakis and a polo now. Myself included.

278790000-front-grid.jpg

My experience also. Some are still stuck thinking 'class' somehow equates to wearing a suit.

My experience also. Some are still stuck thinking 'class' somehow equates to wearing a suit.

Class has nothing to do with wearing a suit - I agree. But it isn't "class" evening; it's elegant evening. And a polo and kakhis are not "elegant;" at best it is business casual by today's standard. I understand it is within the dress code but the title has become a misnomer - and let's face it, CCL doesn't enforce it on elegant or casual evenings. When I am having to look at a man's armpit hair tufting out of his tank top it's hard not to lose ones appetite!

DH wears a suit everyday for work and I do the same or a dress. So "dressing up" is no big deal for us. But we both feel that you get out of it what you put into it and the atmosphere is intended to be more upscale. The atmosphere loses something when so many are trying to do the bare minimum to comply rather than just going to the lido deck. So I always will pack a little black dress and heels he will have a sport coat and we will "take it up a notch" and enjoy our romantic elegant evening.

And no, if you wear kakhis and a polo it isn't going to bother me...but how a person dresses broadcasts a great deal so that's up to the individual as to what message they wish to send.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Class has nothing to do with wearing a suit - I agree. But it isn't "class" evening; it's elegant evening. And a polo and kakhis are not "elegant;" at best it is business casual by today's standard. I understand it is within the dress code but the title has become a misnomer - and let's face it, CCL doesn't enforce it on elegant or casual evenings. When I am having to look at a man's armpit hair tufting out of his tank top it's hard not to lose ones appetite!

DH wears a suit everyday for work and I do the same or a dress. So "dressing up" is no big deal for us. But we both feel that you get out of it what you put into it and the atmosphere is intended to be more upscale. The atmosphere loses something when so many are trying to do the bare minimum to comply rather than just going to the lido deck. So I always will pack a little black dress and heels he will have a sport coat and we will "take it up a notch" and enjoy our romantic elegant evening.

And no, if you wear kakhis and a polo it isn't going to bother me...but how a person dresses broadcasts a great deal so that's up to the individual as to what message they wish to send.

A&J family: I give you nothing but mad props. You made your statement succinctly, without malice or ill will. Not only that, I fully agree with your opinion. Well done!!

Sent from my VS995 using Forums mobile app

I was on the Sunshine the end of February for an 8 night cruise. On Elegant nights everyone I noticed was dressed up. Ladies in nice dresses or pant suits. Men in suits or at least sports coat and ties. There were 5 men at the table where I sat age ranging from 25 to 65 and all were dressed well on elegant nights and on the other nights it was no less that a collared shirt and dress pants. I didn't go looking all over the dining room but in the general area I sat, everyone dressed to the suggested dress code.

• 1 month later...
...but how a person dresses broadcasts a great deal so that's up to the individual as to what message they wish to send.

I'm not quite sure what that comment is supposed to mean, but when I'm on vacation the last thing I really care about is what "message" my outfit sends to SOMEONE ELSE. I applaud those that like to go all out on elegant night, it is very nice to see them dressed up. However me and my three sons dressing in khakis and polos and my wife wearing a nice sun dress is very sufficient and is taking it up a notch from the majority of people.

We usually cruise in the hot summer months. My DH wears dress pants and a dress shirt and I would say that is what the majority of men wear. You will also see a lot of men in khakis and a polo. There are plenty of guys that still wear suits, but they are definitely not the majority anymore. I don't think I have seen a man in a tux in years. Personally, I like to wear a nice cocktail dress, put you will see women in anything from a pantsuit to an evening gown, with most women somewhere in between like me.

I'm not quite sure what that comment is supposed to mean, but when I'm on vacation the last thing I really care about is what "message" my outfit sends to SOMEONE ELSE. I applaud those that like to go all out on elegant night, it is very nice to see them dressed up. However me and my three sons dressing in khakis and polos and my wife wearing a nice sun dress is very sufficient and is taking it up a notch from the majority of people.

It means that how we dress always makes a statement about our thought process. What about people that come to breakfast in the MDR in a robe? That says I don't care if anyone sees me in my PJs and I am not going to dress appropriately because I don't care. I want to wear my robe so I will.

The fact that you wear polos and kakhis shows that you feel that is a comfortable attire for you - as you noted you are dressed better than many - but the reality is that is dress for casual nights, not elegant BY CARNIVALS CODE. Polos are not dress shirts.

It tells me exactly what you said - you are comfortable because you are up a notch from everyone else. So whether you wish to acknowledge it or not, you are dressing relative to others and thus sending a message. You aren't going to wear a dress shirt because you want to be comfortable but you won't slob out really pushing the rules with jeans and a tshirt .

Madonna and Lady Gaga for example send a message by their clothing. The president doesn't go to international dinners in kakhis and a polo...it would send the wrong message.

Hope thy clarifies my point for you....

I have learned elegant and dressy is different to everyone. I go to a lot of formal events so I am packing two elegant dresses like you would wear to a

Formal event. My sister is a jean person so to her dressed up is a nice pair of pants and a dressy top. As

Long as you are in swimsuits, shorts or jogging attire or bath robes you will be fine.

I wear a suit and tie (an Armani on our last cruise), and the rest of the family dresses up as well, including a suit and tie for DS (15 y.o.). For us, we enjoy it and it is a rare opportunity for nice family pictures in formal attire :). That said, to each his own and I am not bothered one bit by how others dress on elegant/formal night. It's their cruise too!