Missing Cruise Passenger

AZPam

I am going on my 3rd cruise - I have heard of a few individuals that were missing, but this is very troubling, to say the least.

Royal Caribbean should be ashamed of themselves for just sloughing it off like she was a piece of rubbish.

HORRIBLE.

My apologies and sincere sympathy to her family.

Guest AdiosReality

What do you say to that? The cruise line didn't do crap to help them really, but reading all missing persons reports from cruise lines, everyone knows they don't help, nor do they care, nor do they have to. The laws need to change about maritime cooporation in these cases. No, nothing should have been moved in her room, after 3 days of her dissappearence they should have been sending her name over the P.A. and with no response, an M.I.P case should have been filed, not weeks or months after the cruise had ended. Horrible, just horrible. You never hear of men missing on ships, it makes being a woman, a very scary thing on board. No matter if you with your husband, family, friends etc. Just goes to show you are never safe. They don't do background checks on these people from other countries, they could be murderers and they would never be tracked, not even by their own country, if they were wanted, they would never find them, its the perfect escape. :(

WOW! SCARY STUFF! People travelling alone need to be especially careful and have some type of system to "check in with someone, some how, on a regular basis". Perhaps with folks in the adjoining cabin? All alone on a ship with 1,000 to 3,000 people and if you disappear you have to depend on an overworked, underpaid staffer to be concerned. Too sad.:(

This story makes me want to stop cruising with RCCL so badly!!!! How could they ever cover up something like this???? I don't think that it was a suicide because she had bought round trip airfare. I don't even feel like cruising with them after I read this story. I wonder how many other times they have covered up things like this. It really makes me think... what would they do if my wife and kids went missing??

. Horrible, just horrible. You never hear of men missing on ships, it makes being a woman, a very scary thing on board. :(
Actually, there have been just as many men. The latest is the Smith guy. There have been several that have jumped or fallen overboard.

I really have to wonder about this women. It is obvious that she committed suicide, but that is no excuse for RCCL not to report anything. Perhaps they didn't know who to report to. This woman was so secretive about her trip, that she may not have left any contact information. Just very strange!

They don't do background checks on these people from other countries, they could be murderers and they would never be tracked,

Just a thought, what makes you think people from your country should not have background checks? Is it only "those" people from "foreign" countries that should have background checks?

It was unusual that she would not tell her daughter/parents about her leaving on a cruise, but she had gone missing before and seemed pretty independant, remember she was a "retired" investment banker and was independently wealthy....... I personally think she met with foul play...anyone could have put the "tip money in place", why bother to take clothes and unpack, if you are going to commit suicide sounds fishy to me RCL should be ashamed.

Does anyone, besides me, wonder why this story is surfacing now, so long after the event and in a newspaper article in an Arizona newspaper for that matter? Celebrity and RCCL's alleged handling of this matter certainly doesn't reflect well on them, but do we really know the facts of the case or are we basing our judgment on one newspaper article?

Without a body to examine or witnesses to what actually happened, it is possible that we will never know all the answers to this case. Unfortunately, unlike mysteries on TV, the solution to a case in real life, is rarely resolved within an hour. Before deciding what happened, murder, suicide, accident, perhaps we should show some restraint and be less judgmental. Speculation rarely does any good, and sometimes can be very hurtful to the families and others directly involved.

This story makes me want to stop cruising with RCCL so badly!!!! How could they ever cover up something like this???? I don't think that it was a suicide because she had bought round trip airfare. I don't even feel like cruising with them after I read this story. I wonder how many other times they have covered up things like this. It really makes me think... what would they do if my wife and kids went missing??

I don't mean to be flip but if your wife and kids went missing, I fear that there would be posts on these boards speculating that it is obvious, to the poster at least, that you were responsible. Irresponsible speculation is dangerous and ought to be avoided, but unfortunately it won't be :(

This post has been made on several different boards today. What's up with that, AZPam??? And Cruiser_Guy...are you still asking about a refund from RCI for your upcoming Jewel cruise? Is this why you want a refund? I also notice that you have two other RCI cruises booked. Please fill us in! I also don't know why this link has been provided for an unfortunate event that is a few years old.

This post has been made on several different boards today. What's up with that, AZPam??? And Cruiser_Guy...are you still asking about a refund from RCI for your upcoming Jewel cruise? Is this why you want a refund? I also notice that you have two other RCI cruises booked. Please fill us in! I also don't know why this link has been provided for an unfortunate event that is a few years old.

I simply feel that this is a story to be shared. I cruise a lot with my teenage daughter, nephews, neice and such. I think all should be aware of what can happen on a cruise ship whether this passenger took her own life or not. So many people let their kids and teens have run of the ship, having no clue as to their whereabouts or actions much of the time. What if a crew member had some part of this? It is possible, you know. A tragic situation like this can happen on any ship, on any cruise line. That's why I posted this on multiple boards. And, I wasn't the only one. Apparently there were a few other posters who thought this was worth sharing. I typically stick to the Princess boards since that is who I typically cruise with and I am sure there are others on CC that stick to one board too. Sorry if I offended you.

What if a crew member had some part of this? It is possible, you know. A tragic situation like this can happen on any ship, on any cruise line.

We can all play the speculation game but to what end? What if a fellow passenger had some part of this. As you say, it is possible you know. A tragic situation can happen, not only on any ship or any cruiseline but at any vacation resort, hotel, or in your own hometown. And what if it truly was suicide? or an accident? The point is we don't know what happened in this matter. All of our speculation doesn't add any light to the situation but it does get folks stirred up.

Pam...I found the story interesting so thanks for posting it...

....and as far as speculation( per Bill)...I think it is more conversation...yes we would all like the particulars...but I can still have an opinion with the information given...plain and simple RCL needed to contact someone after the cruise was over PERIOD!

After reading this article I find it outrageous that RCI would not have originally informed the family of details regarding Merrians disappearance, that they later disclosed to the family only after the family hired legal, and investigative help. This in itself conveys a RCI policy regarding missing passengers towards family members/loved ones that is uncaring, not forthright, and insulting. After looking at the picture of Merrian in the newspaper article she appears to be an attractive women who was traveling alone. Unfortunately, the reality is, whenever you board any of these ships you must realize that the same precautions that we are used to in the U.S. regarding background checks .....are not in S.O.P. used by cruise lines. They have no way of knowing who many of their employes are, and consequently we have no way of knowing what inherit dangers they may present. Regardless, it appears obvious that RCI is far more concerned with contriving a story, way after the fact, that places dispersions on the missing passenger rather than have a policy in place that immediately protects the passengers safety and properly investigates a dissappearance early on. This is inexcusable. I have been on 5 RCI cruises, until they have made changes in their policies regarding Merrian and other like her, there will be no 6th.

And you know for a fact (or based on a single newspaper account?) that they didn't? I don't know whether they did or not. If they didn't, it certainly doesn't reflect well on them. But if anyone could think that not contacting anyone would make the situation go away, that person certainly isn't qualified to hold any position of responsibility in any corporation.

You can call what is going on " conversation " but I think that talking about things without any solid and reliable information is speculation of the worst sort. It doesn't shed any light on the matter but it does generate a lot of heat.

Archived