Confused about free at sea

Ergates The Ant

I haven't cruised with NCL before, but considering a cruise out of Southampton this summer. The Free at Sea offer looks attractive, but I'm confused by the wording of the terms and conditions. If I take the ultimate Drinks Package, am I going to be charged additionally for a 'gratuity' on top of this? Ie, it's not actually free then?

I have sent a query to NCL UK asking for clarification, but would be interested to hear if anyone else with a UK booking has already found out what is going on?

For any offer that is subject to the gratuity charge, you pay for this gratuity as part of you cruise price. We paid approximately $32 gratuity for 5 specialty restaurant meals.

If you scroll to the very bottom of the Free at Sea promo detail page, you will find a link to the Terms and Conditions. Here's the info on the drinks package:

Guest is responsible for 18% gratuities on the retail value of the Ultimate Beverage Package ($14.22 USD per person, per day) and/or Soda Package ($1.35 USD per person, per day) prior to cruise, except when booking The Haven or a Suite.

Not if you are from the UK.

I haven't cruised with NCL before, but considering a cruise out of Southampton this summer. The Free at Sea offer looks attractive, but I'm confused by the wording of the terms and conditions. If I take the ultimate Drinks Package, am I going to be charged additionally for a 'gratuity' on top of this? Ie, it's not actually free then?

I have sent a query to NCL UK asking for clarification, but would be interested to hear if anyone else with a UK booking has already found out what is going on?

It IS free. You do not pay for the package itself. Depending on what country you are from you still have to pay the 18% gratuity, but that does not mean the package is not free. You can always pick another free at sea option and pay full price for the UBP as well as any required tip.

That's very helpful. I don't think it's really clear on their website, so thanks for sharing your experiences on this. I will let you know what response, if any, I get from NCL.

No need for any response from NCL. I've booked a number of cruises with the UBP and SDP, including one last week, and you don't get charged any gratuity.

You can test it if you want. Do a dummy booking and when you select your promos the prices are exactly the same for all options. If you were on the US site then the price changes to reflect the gratuity.

There's always confusion over this.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

I wouldn't say that there is confusion as such on this point.

Fairly regularly, someone sees discussions on here amongst people from the US and assumes it applies to all.

Whenever the question is asked, the situation is made very clear (except for the usual person or two who doesn't realise the person asking is from the UK).

So, yes, there is sometimes some initial confusion, but the actual situation is very clear.

We just booked this last month for our April sailing, it costed us

Choice Promotion Service Charge: $199.08 in our booking ... this is for 2.

Now from what i understood , all we have to pay is tax on drinks when in ports ... Is this true ??

Griz, that is 100% correct. As long as your drink is under $15 (and almost all are) then you have to pay nothing... your tip is already paid for. Anything over $15 (lets say you buy an $18 drink) would cost you $3 and they would add 18% gratuity to that $3 so your total would be $3.54 for that drink.

If you want to tip more, please feel free... but remember they are already getting at least 18% for that drink already.

Now from what i understood , all we have to pay is tax on drinks when in ports ... Is this true ??

Yes, that's true for all cruise lines and something that is required by law.

It ends up being under a buck for most drinks so we hardly noticed. That and the bartenders "forgot" to even ring us up a few times after we tipped generously.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk