Carnival Dream 2/26/17 Mardi Gras/New Orleans (catching a parade)

TedR

If you are walking from the parking garage to the parade then take a stroll through the mall that runs along the Mississippi. If you get there as soon as the garage opens you will have plenty of time to relax in the mall till it's time to head out for the parade. There is a cafe du monde and if you are a coffee drinker I highly recommended trying the cafe au lait with your beignets. You can sit out and watch the ships sail by as you enjoy a quick breakfast.

Just to add my two cents, My DW are cruising on the Triumph the day after. We are staying Sunday night in the Quarter and plan on seeing the parades. I was advised by friends who live there or used to live there to get there early for traffic reasons alone. So we are planning on getting to our hotel at 8 and parking our car. Since it is our first time in NOLA during Mardi grad we opted with some encouragement from my friends to get tickets for the grandstands so we wouldn't have to fight the crowds. They are about 30 a person you might want to think about that.

ekajun1957 - just as I had posted below - do you happen to know if the port WILL take your bags early? We had read that they will turn you away until your board time. That is why, even though our hotel is a "Park and Sail" hotel (the original reason we booked with them), we are thinking to not take that benefit and just go ahead and park at the port parking deck around 9 and just walk around until time to board.

The time will vary I am sure of when they start taking bags as it depends on the time back in port, clearing customs and unloading. I would do the port parking if the money is not an issue. Get back to car in parking and unload bags when you want.

• 2 weeks later...

We are staying about an hour and 45 minutes outside of New Orleans on Saturday night. We plan on leaving our motel between six and seven. Will that allow us enough time to avoid some of the headaches of the traffic? Also, coming in from I-10, will any of the roads to the port from the I-10 exit be blocked by the parades?

We are used to traffic from driving to Pittsburgh.....have to sit an hour sometimes to go 1 mile because of the bridges and tunnels. Will it be much worse than this? Not that we like the traffic around Pittsburgh because we complain every time we have to drive there lol.

I have been worried about this all day. Read one review that someone had to wait 6 hours after arriving to the city. I hope this was because wherever they were going was blocked by the parades. I just want to make sure that we have ample time to park and board the ship.

i hope this helps. for all people who are taking cruise on feb. 26, please get to terminal before 8am. you should have no traffic at that time. Take Tchoupitoulas exit as it will bring you straight to cruise terminal. i live about 15 minutes from N.O. and i always go to the city on Bacchus Sunday for the parties and parades. we always get down there before 8am. NO TRAFFIC. anything later and traffic gets thicker and thicker. any questions please contact me. hope everyone has a safe and fun cruise.

P.S. we are sailing on Dream July 2

• 2 years later...

Did any of you end up watching the parade? I will be there around this time this year and looking to see if it is feasible to see the parade before boarding. We will be taking a taxi or Uber to the port that morning so I am also curious on if you were able to drop off bags early as we won’t have a car to leave them in

9 hours ago, sunlovinkittykat said:

Did any of you end up watching the parade? I will be there around this time this year and looking to see if it is feasible to see the parade before boarding. We will be taking a taxi or Uber to the port that morning so I am also curious on if you were able to drop off bags early as we won’t have a car to leave them in

We were on this cruise (posted 2 years ago). Had no trouble. We got there early, about 9, and checked our bags. Parked our car and left our carry-ons in the car. Should be no problem checking your bags unless you get there at daylight. 

Had no problem enjoying parades, touring the French Quarter ,etc. Place was crowded but better than expected. Walking would probably be the only option after arriving in the area. Or maybe the bicycle taxis.

We enjoyed a great lunch in The French Quarter (better than any meal on the ship), hung out with the total insanity and walked back to the port at about 3. We were literally the only ones in the terminal. No wait for anything and walked onto the ship. 

Allow yourself plenty of time for everything just in case. 

Best embarkation I have ever had. Literally walking from the madness of Mardi Gras onto the ship. Fantastic cruise but really hard to top Mardi Gras. 

Walking around the area with carry on bags may not be an option that time of the year. No problem checking bags though.