A Request/Query to my British Friends Regarding Pricing

johnjen

It came up the other day, we had thought of my father, who resides in Scotland, of getting him to perhaps accompany DW and I on our upcoming cruise on Brilliance out of Barcelona.

He went to a TA and was quoted, for the 12 night med cruise for a balcony, £9000! I had to ask him that again for clarification. I even asked if he mistakenly meant £900....no, he said the first.

I'm finding that figure a bit out of this world; he wanted a quote for a balcony cabin first and then would see the difference if he got a cheaper inside cabin.

Can someone from the UK please throw me a round about figure on a quote for this cruise? Even with the 30% current discount? My dad's a bit on the age factor so I am just questioning that exorbitantly high amount. Mind you, this was even without the flight RT from Glasgow/Barcelona.

It came up the other day, we had thought of my father, who resides in Scotland, of getting him to perhaps accompany DW and I on our upcoming cruise on Brilliance out of Barcelona.

He went to a TA and was quoted, for the 12 night med cruise for a balcony, £9000! I had to ask him that again for clarification. I even asked if he mistakenly meant £900....no, he said the first.

I'm finding that figure a bit out of this world; he wanted a quote for a balcony cabin first and then would see the difference if he got a cheaper inside cabin.

Can someone from the UK please throw me a round about figure on a quote for this cruise? Even with the 30% current discount? My dad's a bit on the age factor so I am just questioning that exorbitantly high amount. Mind you, this was even without the flight RT from Glasgow/Barcelona.

I have just looked at the U.K. site and it showed Balcony Cabins at around 2,200 Pounds per person for June 30th cruise. We will be getting off as you get on, we board June 18th !!!

Just to agree with Jelly - the ship is sold out, except for suites which come in at just under £9000 for 2. Very misleading on the RCI website as it suggests you can get an interior room for £2000 but when you go through the booking it tells you there are no interiors left!

I did look on a travel agent website too (thomas cook) and by taking advantage of the current offer of buy one get one half price it still comes to £9000 for a GTY Junior Suite, but includes return flights from Glasgow.

Weirdly enough there are cabins available for 3 people

If they booked 3 people and made up a dummy third person I can see Balcony Cabins for about £6000 in total (including Gratuities)

They'd also get the Deluxe Drinks package thrown in for both of them which you can offset against the cost of the Cruise

Although, they're basically paying £1000 for someone who isn't traveling. They'd get the taxes refunded for the 'no-show' though

Edited by swoopy2110

Thanks for the great feedback. I was at work earlier and couldn't call RCL until I got home this evening; sure enough, the cruise is close to capacity with only a couple of suites left, and indeed, quoted for one at $8000. The RCL agent told me that when a cruise reaches near capacity, prices go up but she did tell me that between now and Apr 1st, the last payment date, they usually see a few cancellations to try and avoid cancellation fees.

Spoke with dad, he's not upset about it, but he's meeting us July 12th at Dulles as he's coming over here on holiday with us instead of cruising with us, so it's all good....but we're determined to get him on a cruise with us in 2018!