A nice hotel near Amtrak station & Port Everglades port for pre and post stay

swingphi

Hello,

Can anyone recommend a nice hotel for our stay before and after our cruise from Fort Lauderdale. We are taking the train from the Philadelphia and always enjoy a leisure train ride as we are retired and have no need to rush. Your input will be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your help.

There are two stations near the port. the first is at Broward Blvd which is NW of the port -about 15 min by Taxi- in Fort Lauderdale. The next stop south if Hollywood, SW of the port and also a 15-20 min ride. There are several hotels within10 minutes of each stop and the port. The Renaissance Hotel is directly across from the 17th street entrance of the Port in Ft. Lauderdale. It has recently been renovated and is convenient to walk to many restaurants and shops. Do you have a particular preference? If not that is where I would stay for convenience.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

There are two stations near the port. the first is at Broward Blvd which is NW of the port -about 15 min by Taxi- in Fort Lauderdale. The next stop south if Hollywood, SW of the port and also a 15-20 min ride. There are several hotels within10 minutes of each stop and the port. The Renaissance Hotel is directly across from the 17th street entrance of the Port in Ft. Lauderdale. It has recently been renovated and is convenient to walk to many restaurants and shops. Do you have a particular preference? If not that is where I would stay for convenience.

Actually, the stop is in Dania Beach at the intersection of I-95 and Griffin Road. It is also call the FLL Airport stop but you have to catch a shuttle to the airport which is about 4 miles away.

There are four hotels that surround the station, Courtyard, Residence Inn, Fairmont Inn and Homewood Suites, all of which are new or nearly new properties.

That is correct ? I always forget about that station because it is tucked away behind the Courtyard and Outdoor World. There are several new hotels but there is really nothing else there except Outdoor World and the International Fishing Hall of Fame. It is an OK location for a one night stay and then go to the port but if the poster is looking for more and being able to wall to a grocery store and other places and restaurants then I think the 17th street area is better.

Actually, the stop is in Dania Beach at the intersection of I-95 and Griffin Road. It is also call the FLL Airport stop but you have to catch a shuttle to the airport which is about 4 miles away.

There are four hotels that surround the station, Courtyard, Residence Inn, Fairmont Inn and Homewood Suites, all of which are new or nearly new properties.

Amtrak does not stop at the station at Griffin Road, only Tri-Rail does. Amtrak stops in Fort Lauderdale at Broward Blvd and in Hollywood at Hollywood Blvd.

Edited by brunello22

That is correct ? I always forget about that station because it is tucked away behind the Courtyard and Outdoor World. There are several new hotels but there is really nothing else there except Outdoor World and the International Fishing Hall of Fame. It is an OK location for a one night stay and then go to the port but if the poster is looking for more and being able to wall to a grocery store and other places and restaurants then I think the 17th street area is better.

You were correct in your first post. Amtrak does not stop at Griffin Road, only at Broward Blvd and Hollywood Blvd.

No, you need to visit the area and refresh your memory. Two icon Ft Lauderdale restaurants are easy walks from the hotels...

Rustic Inn Crabhouse

http://arkrestaurants.com/rustic-inn-fort-lauderdale/

Tropical Acres Steakhouse is less than a block west of the new Residence Inn...

http://arkrestaurants.com/rustic-inn-fort-lauderdale/

There's also a brand new Wendy's that just opened on Griffin Road in front of the Fairfield Inn and Homewood Suites and a Dunkin' Donuts that will open any day now if it hasn't already. There's a Subway across from Tropical Acres and a Mexican Restaurant one block west. A Publix Grocery Store and The Field Irish Pub & Eatery is another two blocks to the west.

At Bass Pro Shop is Islamoroda Fish Company...

http://restaurants.basspro.com/FishCompany/DaniaBeach/

The OP can arrive by train and literally walk across the street to their hotel of choice. Then they can shuttle, Uber or Taxi 4 miles to Port Everglades.

Edited by Lido_Deck

Amtrak does not stop at the station at Griffin Road, only Tri-Rail does. Amtrak stops in Fort Lauderdale at Broward Blvd and in Hollywood at Hollywood Blvd.

I wasn't aware of that. I thought Amtrak did stop at the FLL Airport stop. It would still be pretty easy for the OP to tranfer to the TriRail even for one stop to Griffin Road.

There are no hotels within walking distance of either Hollywood or Fort Lauderdale Amtrak stations.

Fort Lauderdale (Broward Blvd) is convient to Fort Lauderdale Beach.

Hollywood is convient to Hollywood beach.

Taxi's are usually at each train station when Amtrak trains arrive.

If you are getting off at the Broward stop, the 17th Street hotels are going to be 25 minutes from the Amtrak Station due to traffic.

Trust me when I say you don't want to stay anywhere near the Broward Boulevard Amtrak station. It couldn't be in a worse part of town.

Absolutely no reason to stay near the train station.

Just get off the train and take a cab to 17th Street and book a hotel there.

If you are getting off at the Broward stop, the 17th Street hotels are going to be 25 minutes from the Amtrak Station due to traffic.

Trust me when I say you don't want to stay anywhere near the Broward Boulevard Amtrak station. It couldn't be in a worse part of town.

Yup! Do this!

From Broward Station they might as well take a taxi to Hampton Inn Plantation where they have a free Port Everglades shuttle the next day. I'm sure the hotel rates will be much lower as well.