West Indies - Catamaran & Lobster lunch in Antigua?

NE2AZ

Has anyone done the Catamaran & Lobster lunch Viking excursion in Antigua?

We are on board the Star right now and Viking has changed the description slightly and given us the option to cancel.

Wondering what your impression of this tour was? It's one of the more pricey excursions at $149 per person so don't want to be disappointed!

Thanks in advance for any comments - we have until Saturday (tomorrow) to cancel!

NE2AZ, could you advise of the changes, please? We have booked this excursion during our Feb 15 cruise. Feedback, if you take the tour, would be appreciated.

Feb 15, 2017 Viking Star – West Indies

Sep 14, 2015 Viking Star – Med Odyssey

2014 Celebrity Silhouette

2012/2013 Celebrity Equinox

2007/2009 Celebrity Constellation

2006 Celebrity Infinity

2004 Carnival

1988 RC Sovereign of the Seas

1987 NCL M/S Skyward

Jtm1979,

The new description reads as follows:

"Take a relaxing sail aboard a Caribbean catamaran, with stops t enjoy two of Antigua's 365 beaches and to indulge in a delicious Caribbean Spiny Lobster lunch. You will meet your welcoming and enthusiastic crew and head off into azure Caribbean waters, passing the white-sand beaches and resorts of Antigua. Moor in Deep Bay on the NW coast, where you will have time to swim and discover the underwater wonders surrounding Antigua, or simply relax while being gently rocked by the Caribbean Sea. Next, your journey will take you to a second beach location where, while at anchor, your crew will prepare your lunch, accompanied by an open bar. As you sail back to St.John's and the ship, warm sea breezes and the sweet sounds of Caribbean music is sure to leave you with memories to last a lifetime."

PLEASE NOTE: the delicious Caribbean Spiny Lobster has a texture and taste slightly different to the lobster you may have enjoyed elsewhere. Lunch is served on board the Catamaran. Snorkeling is not included in this excursions;however, if you have your own snorkel gear, you may bring it along to use during your swimming time.

We are still considering this trip as it is a chance to get out on the beautiful Caribbean sea and we have no issues with the spiny lobsters, we like them and we were not counting on the snorkeling! Just wondering if anyone had already done this trip, what they thought! If we decide to go, we will post a review.

On another note, I would like to highly recommend the St. Kitts railway trip offered by Viking as an optional excursion. It was a highlight for us - very different than any other way that we have toured any of the islands. The train is open-air, there is a bar on board and the scenery & commentary is spectacular! Very pleasant way to spend 3 hours.

I appreciate the time you took writing the full description. Thank you! We will keep the excursion booked........we haven't heard of spiny lobster and look forward to trying it!

We have been to St Kitts a few times and also enjoyed the train ride. Good recommendation for folks that would like to see the island away from tourist areas....and possibly see some small monkeys

I appreciate the time you took writing the full description. Thank you! We will keep the excursion booked........we haven't heard of spiny lobster and look forward to trying it!

We have been to St Kitts a few times and also enjoyed the train ride. Good recommendation for folks that would like to see the island away from tourist areas....and possibly see some small monkeys

I love the spines lobsters, smaller than Maine lobsters, Skelton is harder but delicious. We have it every year at sandals

We are so glad that we did not cancel this tour! By the 2nd to last day of our cruise, we were ready to spend some time out on the water.

In spite of the new itinerary that Viking posted, we could not find any fault with this delightful excursion. We, along with about 48 other guests from Viking boarded a large catamaran that had more than enough room/seating for all of us. The tour is listed as 6 hours but we actually spent about 7 hours cruising the coast of Antigua, cruising as far as where the Atlantic meets the Caribbean sea

Most of the time we were "under sail". The crew was pleasant, funny, and knowledgeable, pointing out local landmarks as we passed by. There was an open bar, which "opened" about an hour after we set sail. We had two beach stops. The cat brought us all the way to the beach where we could walk off or stay on the boat. The boat then anchored off shore where those of us who stayed on the boat could swim or snorkel off the back of the boat. (No one on my cruise brought snorkeling equipment, but you certainly could) .

During the first beach stop, the crew broke out a huge grill and started grilling up very large lobster tails. The spiny lobster tails are bigger than typical Maine lobsters and are a little tougher but no one complained. ( if anyone does not like lobster, you can order chicken but I think that must be done ahead of time). Lunch was served on board - the crew set up tables and chairs for people in seats that were not conducive to eating while sitting. Salad and roasted potatoes were served in addition to the spiny lobster tail.

After lunch we sailed to a 2nd beach where, again ,you could stay on the boat or go ashore. Drinks were flowing and the crew entertained with Caribbean music, as we sailed back to port. Most on board swayed to the music and many were dancing up a storm, prompting my husband to call it "spring break" for seniors:-).

Definitely a good time was had by all; would highly recommend this excursion. No complaints but if I could make one suggestion , it would be to serve a little desert after the meal but no one went hungry.

NE2AZ, your review of the Catamaran Cruise was delightful! We are definitely looking forward to our chance to enjoy it in just a couple of weeks. I don't suppose you're taking the America's Cup Regatta in St. Martin tomorrow? :D

Jtm1979,

Unfortunately no, I returned home on Thursday evening after a great cruise!

Sounds like you are in anticipation mode. I am sure you will enjoy your trip! I say, what's not to like?

We are big fans of Viking and this itinerary did not disappoint. Have you checked all of the new itineraries that Viking will sail in the next two years? Many are tempting:)

Thank you for your great review. We will stop in Antigua as part of the Amazon journey in December and this does sound tempting.

Good to know they also have alternative to lobster if requested prior for those with shellfish allergies....it must have been a fairly large catamaran to accommodate that many people and not feel crowded! Good to know that as well!!

NE2AZ......definitely in anticipation mode.......We've been to the Caribbean often, and there is always a new adventure to look forward to. We're actually going to check into the South America/Caribbean cruise for next Feb. We haven't ventured into South America before.

Feb 15, 2017 Viking Star - Caribbean

Sep 14, 2015 Viking Star – Med Odyssey

2014 Celebrity Silhouette

2012/2013 Celebrity Equinox

2007/2009 Celebrity Constellation

2006 Celebrity Infinity

2004 Carnival

1988 RC Sovereign of the Seas

1987 NCL M/S Skyward