Dolphin encounter advice

claven

We are on the March 5th, Norwegian Getaway Eastern itinerary. We are looking at a dolphin encounter, me, my wife and 6 year old. I see there are a few options for all the ports we are going to. Any recommendations for the best one of all the ports.

Roatan, Bay Islands, Honduras

Harvest Caye, Belize

Costa Maya, Mexico

Cozumel, Mexico

Dennis

Not sure about those particular ports, but we used a company called Dolphin Discovery when we were in Tortola. They have multiple locations across the Caribbean so they probably have one at least one of those ports. Definitely book on your own and definitely book the Royal Swim. This is the highest level of encounter, where you get two rides. One you hang onto their fins and they pull you, the other you lie flat in the water and they propel you through by pushing your feet. I found that the offerings from NCL were 1) overpriced and 2) basic.

My kids absolutely loved it. My daughter is a dolphin fanatic and was so happy she got to actually pet one.

Be prepared to get flamed by many activists on this board who will tell you how inhumane these encounter centers are, or how the only place you should see dolphins is in the wild, etc etc etc. Don't let it bother you. To each their own.

• 1 month later...

I would very highly suggest to do this in Rotan Honduras. The setup is different then in other places.

Its on the man made beach with calm water, other places are on a platform. I hated it in Cozumel, but in Rotan it was a completely different experience.

Harvest caye is really just a beach stop. There's a sea world like place in Cozumel that offers all kinds of encounters; thinks there's dolphin, sea lion, etc. haven't beeen there though so can't recommend or not recommend it.

Jojoacq, can't answer how to get from st thomas to tortola; but just keep in mind you'll be changing countries if you do that so you'll need a passport with you. I know ferries run between the bvi's, there may be ferries that run to and from the usvi's too.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums