immigration process

LANDIX

ESTA is an electronic system that collects data. It's not a visa. My statement is accurate. As a UK citizen a visa is not required to enter the United States for brief travel.

ESTA is a visa waiver program. OP will need a visa if they are turned down for an ESTA. A reasonable person would assume OP was asking if they needed any travel documents to enter the US in addition to a valid passport.

Edited by 6rugrats

I am from Ireland and my aunt from England, we both needed an ESTA to travel to or through the US.

The link above is correct it costs $14 each and is valid for 2 years.

If you are being charged more than $14 you are not on the official US government website.

There are a lot of 3rd party websites that will do the A ESTA for you but will charge you +$60 each. These are a complete scam, the info you give them is the exact same as the official site. These sites also make themselves seem official with flags and what not.

My Aunt & I travel through US to go on cruises a couple of times each year. Our last cruise was to Alaska, which was great.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Yup, follow the link above to apply for an ESTA.

That way all the possible reasons that might make you ineligible for a visa waiver will be checked (you don't mention if you are a joint citizen of another country that means you need a Visa, if you have a criminal record, if you have been previously rejected from visa-free entry to the USA etc. - plus with the recent change of US administration there could be brand new shiny reasons that prevent visa-free travel based on your religion or who knows what else coming in any time now...)

Yup, follow the link above to apply for an ESTA.

That way all the possible reasons that might make you ineligible for a visa waiver will be checked (you don't mention if you are a joint citizen of another country that means you need a Visa, if you have a criminal record, if you have been previously rejected from visa-free entry to the USA etc. - plus with the recent change of US administration there could be brand new shiny reasons that prevent visa-free travel based on your religion or who knows what else coming in any time now...)

I last stayed in LA on an ESTA but am currently waiting on an application to become French which would make me bi-national . I hadn't thought of that being a problem . Also as you say who knows what Mr T could do:(

^If your LA stay was <2 years ago that ESTA remains valid. Can't recall French-UK dual citizens having issues as both are on the list of Visa Waiver countries. Cases I've seen were joint Iranian, Iraqi, Syrian, or Sudanese. With the on-again-off-again threats about no travel/restricted travel/more careful checks on Muslims changes could still be a-comin' to Visa Waiver system, so I'd be inclined to renew that ESTA right away if it isn't still valid...

Please also remember that you now need an ETA to enter Canada, this came into effect last fall and applies to most EU countries.

Good catch - OP did specify they were thinking of boarding a cruise to Alaska in Vancouver so there's a good chance they are flying into Canada and would need an eTA!

NB: in case you'd be flying to SEA and crossing the land border, or book a cruise out of Seattle instead, an eTA wouldn't be needed - it's explicitly mentioned on the very first page of the official government site that land and sea entry conditions have not changed.

Since all Alaska cruises do visit Canada - even if it's just a token stop in Victoria on a Seattle RT - it's certainly sensible to check what you need for Canadian enttry - this page has links covering documentation etc. Between that and eTA you'd be covering all possible bases.