Alaska Cruisetour Questions

I have been looking at Alaska cruises, and wanted to include either pre or post cruise land tour but not sure which one to book. Was thinking of doing the 4 or 5 night option. We are looking for one that has the most family friendly options - our son will be 8.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have been looking at Alaska cruises, and wanted to include either pre or post cruise land tour but not sure which one to book. Was thinking of doing the 4 or 5 night option. We are looking for one that has the most family friendly options - our son will be 8.

We did a 4 day land tour in Alaska 3 years ago with our then 10 year old and had a great time. To be honest, though, we could have done the same land itinerary ourselves for less than half the cost. If you want more specifics on what we did, just let me know.

Can't advise on family friendly. But do recommend doing the pre cruise . The days on cruise tour are very long. Bags out by 6am, usually not at hotel for night until 9pm, meals not included and prices are very high, usually $10 for lunch sandwich, dinners can easily run $20. Hotels do not include breakfast, a poor continental breakfast at lodge in Seward was $12.95. Meal times were usually late, lunch @ 1pm, and you only have hour, dinner 6:30 or later. And it was difficult to find or have time to pick up snacks.

The folks I've talked to said that with children they would not do a cruise tour but instead rent a car. There is a lot of bus time on cruise tours which most children find boring. In Denali the best tour into the park is 9 hours long on a school bus. If you are going to rent a vehicle and go on your own be sure to make hotel reservations way in advance. The nice inns/lodges are almost completely booked by cruise lines. Near Denali I counted 50 tour buses in the lot, dinner was on our own but only the lodge could be walked to and a hamburger was $15 (no fries), got there at 6:30, hour wait for table.

The prices for cruise tours are very expensive and IMHO way overpriced. You pay top dollar for a hotel room you will be in for limited time, meals not included, few excursions are included and the optional ones are very expensive, and you need to tip the driver and tour guide. My biggest complaint that I put on the survey was that the schedule provided in the description was not even close to reality- free afternoon in Anchorage became arrive at 5pm, and this was common every day.

Don't get me wrong, do a pre cruise , but for 2 adults and a child the price will be very high with little flexibility. When the tour buses fill the lots you can't see much, come a day later on your own and see what you want.

I am a senior solo cruiser and because of a great deal that popped up for only a few hours I was satisfied with the cruise tour price, but not the actual schedule that was so different from brochure. I also took the advice from cruise critic posters and went up a few days early to be sure to see some things not included on the tour.

Hope that helps. Alaska is fantastic.

We did a 4 day land tour in Alaska 3 years ago with our then 10 year old and had a great time. To be honest, though, we could have done the same land itinerary ourselves for less than half the cost. If you want more specifics on what we did, just let me know.

Thanks. We are trying to figure out which tour covers the things we think our son would love to do - we were leaning toward 3A/B (Mountain Valley Explorer) or the 9A/B (Family Tundra Express). It sounds like 9A/B would be perfect for him, as it is geared towards families.

Can't advise on family friendly. But do recommend doing the pre cruise . The days on cruise tour are very long. Bags out by 6am, usually not at hotel for night until 9pm, meals not included and prices are very high, usually $10 for lunch sandwich, dinners can easily run $20. Hotels do not include breakfast, a poor continental breakfast at lodge in Seward was $12.95. Meal times were usually late, lunch @ 1pm, and you only have hour, dinner 6:30 or later. And it was difficult to find or have time to pick up snacks.

The folks I've talked to said that with children they would not do a cruise tour but instead rent a car. There is a lot of bus time on cruise tours which most children find boring. In Denali the best tour into the park is 9 hours long on a school bus. If you are going to rent a vehicle and go on your own be sure to make hotel reservations way in advance. The nice inns/lodges are almost completely booked by cruise lines. Near Denali I counted 50 tour buses in the lot, dinner was on our own but only the lodge could be walked to and a hamburger was $15 (no fries), got there at 6:30, hour wait for table.

The prices for cruise tours are very expensive and IMHO way overpriced. You pay top dollar for a hotel room you will be in for limited time, meals not included, few excursions are included and the optional ones are very expensive, and you need to tip the driver and tour guide. My biggest complaint that I put on the survey was that the schedule provided in the description was not even close to reality- free afternoon in Anchorage became arrive at 5pm, and this was common every day.

Don't get me wrong, do a pre cruise , but for 2 adults and a child the price will be very high with little flexibility. When the tour buses fill the lots you can't see much, come a day later on your own and see what you want.

I am a senior solo cruiser and because of a great deal that popped up for only a few hours I was satisfied with the cruise tour price, but not the actual schedule that was so different from brochure. I also took the advice from cruise critic posters and went up a few days early to be sure to see some things not included on the tour.

Hope that helps. Alaska is fantastic.

Thanks for this. The 2018 schedule has not come out yet, so we have time to look at different options. I went to a travel show over the weekend, and spoke with the representative from RCI and a few TA's, and most of them have taken their kids on land tours and raved about certain activities. No one mentioned a very long day and most of it spent on a bus...LOL

A couple of follow up questions...

How do you know what options/excursions are included within each cruisetour? It looks like the huskies are included in 9A/B, but hard to say - but wondering if this is optional or extra with other tours?

Do cruise tours count at points towards C&A?

When booking, do you book cruise tour right from beginning when you book cruise, or can it be added later?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

A couple of follow up questions...

How do you know what options/excursions are included within each cruisetour? It looks like the huskies are included in 9A/B, but hard to say - but wondering if this is optional or extra with other tours?

Do cruise tours count at points towards C&A?

When booking, do you book cruise tour right from beginning when you book cruise, or can it be added later?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes the nights of the land portion count the same as sea nights. If you are in a junior suite or suite you receive double points. So for our 13 night cruisetour in a junior suite we received 26 points.

Each tour has everything included spelled out. When you look at the tours it will give you what is included for the day.

I did a very long detailed report on our trip a couple of years ago. It has all of the info we received as well as how to plan additional tours on your own.

The link is in my signature or if you go to my blog and search Alaska cruisetour I broke it down by individual days and port stops. There are menus from the train & Denali so you can get an idea of prices. Also the additional excursions offered thru RCI (besides what is included) could not be booked until we arrived at the first hotel. That may have changed in the last year or so.

Alaska is amazing. I'm sure we could have done it cheaper as a DIY trip but it was worth it to us to have someone else do the driving and load/unload the luggage each day.

Cindy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let me add another vote for a do it yourself land tour! With 3 people it will be half the price. Rent a huge SUV and spend time in Denali.

Be aware hotels fill up fast in Denali. Make reservations as soon as you can. Hotels will usually email you when the 2018 reservations are available.

We loved it so much we went back a second time. Enjoy.

Yes the nights of the land portion count the same as sea nights. If you are in a junior suite or suite you receive double points. So for our 13 night cruisetour in a junior suite we received 26 points.

Each tour has everything included spelled out. When you look at the tours it will give you what is included for the day.

I did a very long detailed report on our trip a couple of years ago. It has all of the info we received as well as how to plan additional tours on your own.

The link is in my signature or if you go to my blog and search Alaska cruisetour I broke it down by individual days and port stops. There are menus from the train & Denali so you can get an idea of prices. Also the additional excursions offered thru RCI (besides what is included) could not be booked until we arrived at the first hotel. That may have changed in the last year or so.

Alaska is amazing. I'm sure we could have done it cheaper as a DIY trip but it was worth it to us to have someone else do the driving and load/unload the luggage each day.

Cindy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks. As soon as I can get to CC on my laptop I will read through your review! I have the cruisetour brochure from RCI and it gives some ideas of what's included but not sure if it covers everything or not.

Let me add another vote for a do it yourself land tour! With 3 people it will be half the price. Rent a huge SUV and spend time in Denali.

Be aware hotels fill up fast in Denali. Make reservations as soon as you can. Hotels will usually email you when the 2018 reservations are available.

We loved it so much we went back a second time. Enjoy.

Thanks. Everyone keeps recommending DIY, but I am waiting to see the cost of going through RCI first. I already priced out an AK land tour with A&K, but it was 8 days and we wanted to do more mix of land and sea. I am hoping that the RCI land/cruise costs will be comparable or less...