New to This & So Confused!

STBMrsP

Hi Everyone. I have been reading many of the threads over the last week, and you all have such great insight on cruising. I am kind of in deep water (HA!) since I have only 4 months to plan my wedding in port in May, and have never cruised before. I've got so many questions and if anyone can help, I would greatly appreciate it!

Here goes:

1) Location - Grand Cayman: Getting super nervous about this because I've only seen how much this port is skipped. Anyone have experience getting married in this port that can ease my mind, or give me insight as to what could happen if we have to skip the port? Carnival tells me one thing, but I'd like to hear from people who've actually gone through this.

2) Add-ons: How do these work for in port weddings? Is this an option? I'm referring to things such as flowers or cake, etc.

3) Packing: This is giving me anxiety! I've seen some things about checking luggage - what does that mean on a cruise ship? Does it work the same as an airplane? I'm not really planning to bring lots of décor type stuff, more worried about bringing my dress, welcome bags for guests, etc.

4) Getting to Port: Do I need to be dressed before leaving the boat, or does that happen in port at the location? (We are not getting married on the beach) Can anyone give me a typical timeline/how-the-day-goes rundown for an in port wedding?

5) Other Locations: Given the amount that I have seen people say Grand Cayman is skipped, I would love suggestions for a back-up port. We DO NOT want to be on a beach, but Carnival does not have pictures of their port ceremony sites. Does anyone have pics they can share of other port sites (maybe gazebo, garden, etc.)?

6) Tendering: I have no idea how this works....can someone please explain?

Probably so many more questions, just can't think of them now. But really, any advice is welcomed!

Thank you!

Edited by STBMrsP
More Questions!

I'm getting married in port in Grand Cayman. I have a lot of the same questions as you haha, but I'm a very go with the flow kind of person so i'm good with whatever happens. I can't control it so I'm not going to fret over it. I'm a planner by nature and that's one of the reasons i'm going with a cruise ship destination wedding, I am forced to not worry, lol.

I've heard that if they have to skip the port, they can still do the reception on board (if you are planning that) and then just get married in a courthouse back in the states.

I have no guidance for timeline as that's what I'm curious about as well.

You can bring welcome bag items, just not water or alcohol. Any candy/food needs to be in sealed unopened bags.

I'm planning to get ready on the boat so that i can stop to take pictures on my way to the ceremony on the beach.

If you need example pictures of what the ceremony locations look like just speak to your wedding planner from the wedding experience. They are more than happy to help you make decisions and provide pictures to help you decide.

1. No one can guarantee you will make this port. If the port is missed, you won't have the correct paperwork/license to get legally married at another port. Could Carnival get this completed for you? I don't know.

2. If it's through the cruise line, pricing is on their webpage.

3. Bags must fit through the scanners (like the ones at the airport). You can have more than one bag. Look at the "what to bring" or "packing" section on your cruise line's webpage.

4. Doubt you would wear a wedding dress on a tender. No experience with this, but assume you'd dress at the location. Ask your planner.

5. No idea, you may want to search online or in this forum.

6. Your cruise ship is anchored offshore. You carry your things down some narrow metal steps and step into a tender (a smaller boat) that takes you to shore.