Punta Sur vs Playa Palancar

Peace2U

We are going to Cozumel in March and we are stuck between these two locations. We like beaches, but I also love lighthouses. Which one would be easier to get to and which one would be more beautiful? We don't need to sun bathe, but just look around for a little while.

We are going to Cozumel in March and we are stuck between these two locations. We like beaches, but I also love lighthouses. Which one would be easier to get to and which one would be more beautiful? We don't need to sun bathe, but just look around for a little while.

Playa Palancar is easier to get to but not sure what you are meaning about "just want to look around"?

It is a beach bar with loungers, bar and restaurant with the opportunity for water sports, (extra). Don't get me wrong we like Palancar because it is quieter, being further from the pier (although after my last experience I would say it is certainly gaining popularity) but at the end of the day it is a beach bar and not enough to warrant the taxi fare "to look around" IMHO. That said it does have tables in sun or shade but bring bug spray because we got bitten last time we sat in the shade.

Punta Sur certainly has more to look at but it is part of National Park so will require an admission fee. You would be advised to hire a taxi to stay with you for your visit or make arrangements for one to return. I am not so sure there will be too many waiting taxis there and I have been advised cell service is limited.

I recall from an earlier thread you want to be able to access shade as required and I would suggest looking at a tour with Tours Plaza.

https://toursplaza.com/hiring-a-driver/

We have toured with them many times and you would be able to pick and choose your locations and how long you want you stay. Our very first tour round the island with them we called in Palancar for a while, then visited Punta Sur before continuing round the east coast for sightseeing and lunch. It was the beginning of many trips round the island both on cruise ship days and land vacations. They have suggestions of places to visit on their website.

Edited by c-leg5

Punta Sur certainly has more to look at but it is part of National Park so will require an admission fee. You would be advised to hire a taxi to stay with you for your visit or make arrangements for one to return. I am not so sure there will be too many waiting taxis there and I have been advised cell service is limited.

I recall from an earlier thread you want to be able to access shade as required and I would suggest looking at a tour with Tours Plaza.

https://toursplaza.com/hiring-a-driver/

We have toured with them many times and you would be able to pick and choose your locations and how long you want you stay. Our very first tour round the island with them we called in Palancar for a while, then visited Punta Sur before continuing round the east coast for sightseeing and lunch. It was the beginning of many trips round the island both on cruise ship days and land vacations. They have suggestions of places to visit on their website.

I will check them out. Thanks!

We were in Coz last month for the 10th time and rented a car. We drove to the Punta Sur area but didn't enter to get to the lighthouse. It is further from the pier than Palancar is-it's at the very southern tip of the island. Palancar has been our go to beach for many years. However there isn't much to do there if you aren't interested in swimming, sun bathing or snorkeling.

DSCN2246_zpslguiqeja.jpg

Ocean near Punta Sur

DSCN2210_zpss6qjbrob.jpg

Playa Palancar

DSCN1503_zpsaun46z5w.jpg

We were in Coz last month for the 10th time and rented a car. We drove to the Punta Sur area but didn't enter to get to the lighthouse. It is further from the pier than Palancar is-it's at the very southern tip of the island. Palancar has been our go to beach for many years. However there isn't much to do there if you aren't interested in swimming, sun bathing or snorkeling.

That's lovely! Okay, I think I will find something else to do. I actually just want to take pictures of a beach for maybe ten minutes.

We rented a car and traveled to Punta Sur. The Light House has some amazing views. We actually have visited several times. They reallydid some amazing things, then had the hurricane that sat on the island for daystook all of the progress on the park. They are coming back and the light house is still there and open.

Great place to go if you rent a car is Coconuts on the opposite side of the island from where the ships dock. Great food, awesome view, but not a swimming area. We love it as it really gives you a different type of beach scene then the beaches where you dock.

Enjoy!