No clue what to do

msakmom

We are booked on a cruise stopping in Belize. This will be our first time there and I am struggling deciding what to do while there. Please tell me your favorite thing to do there. All input and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

One of the more unique things to do in Belize that's not available in other Western Caribbean ports is cave-tubing. Lots of threads on this board on the subject. I suggest looking at a non-ship excursion. Cheaper and less people.

The most common things to do in Belize are snorkeling and beach excursions and visiting Maya ruins.

Belize is a tender port and there are no nearby beaches, so you need to book an excursion to one of the cayes (islands). Plenty of private vendors and ship sponsored excursions around.

There are 3 relatively close Maya ruins sites. Altun Ha, just under a hour outside the cruise tender pier and can be handled via private vendors without fear of delays getting back. Xunanatunich, further away and known for occasional delays in route due to traffic or repairs on the main highway to the ruins. Using a ship sponsored excursion is preferable to avoid getting left behind if you don't make it back in time for the last scheduled tender. But good private vendors very cognizant of the time are available. Lamanai is the farthest away and least excavated set of ruins. requires a boat trip and overland passage to reach. Some ship's offer excursions but private vendors seem to offer better priced tours. Again, it's a risk you could get left behind.

And then there is Harvest Caye. If you are on a NCL ship, you will most likely dock in Harvest Caye not Belize City. Thus far reviews are very negative and you are limited to ship based excursions only. large thread of posts on this board regarding the port and excursion options.

We LOVE Belize.... the culture is rich, they are proud of their Mayan roots as well as their country's history. The country is very rustic, by choice, they have set aside the majority of the country as National Park. They want to preserve it in its natural state for the future. Jungle, Caves, Ruins, islands.... all amazing. Be sure to do something where you learn about it.

We have only been there twice.... we did a snorkel tour and did Xunantunich ruins. We are history buffs so of course we loved the ruins. We plan to go back later this year.

We did a ship-sponsored cave tubing (I know it is cheaper to go private vendor but I wouldn't enjoy myself b/c I would be worried, and I know their livelihood depends on it but I view it as insurance to get back to ship).

We had a great time - the bus ride was about an hour and the guides were very informative and kept us interested in their talks. The walk through the rainforest was lovely and then the cave tubing was very fun!