Those long lists of ships after each person's name?

Blazerboy

I'm wondering how people feel about the listing of cruise ships after your name when you post? I haven't done it yet because people already think I'm a braggart when I talk about cruising anyway! icon_smile.gif But I sort of like it. It's nice to see what ships others have sailed on, and especially nice to see an old favorite like the S.S. France, or one of the former Italian line ships that I sailed on as a child. So...that's the question: "Nice informative touch" or "too much information"???

Blazer Boy

Hi Blazerboy. I know some people don't like the long lists and I suppose it may appear to some that it is bragging. But I do like to list my cruises and I enjoy seeing what ships others have been on.

It's kind of like adding countdown clocks and cute little gifs. Just makes it more fun to me and shows love of cruising. Just my opinion.

Karen & Paul

kmbix56@wmconnect.com

8_3_23.gif

http://community.webshots.com/album/124134511FOjEih

Infinity

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;06;27;17;45;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Galaxy B2B 10/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;10;16;17;45;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Mercury 03/04

Radiance 01/04

Summit 09/03, Infinity B2B Hawaii 03/03,Infinity 10/02,

Maasdam 07/02, Sun Princess 03/02,Maasdam 11/01,Statendam 07/01,Dolphin 1990?

I list the name of the ships I've been on because I'm proud of them, they have been my favorite cruises, let the flames begin!

This ship 10/91

That ship 11/95

Whatever ship 12/98

here a ship 13/99

there a ship 14/00

everywhere

a

ship ship 15/05

<font size="3" color=red>Over 1 year</font> into my LMBO cruise

I also like the list of ships other people have cruised on. It just shows how long a person has been cruising and how much diversity or experience people have had on different ships and different cruise lines.

Carol

Obviously, I enjoy posting the ships I've been on because I liked the cruise. Not bragging, just glad I was there. Now my sister thinks that it's bragging and doesn't even like people to post reviews. Again, I like reviews. They've told me so much about the cruises before we even leave land. I say - keep posting everything.....even complaints.

Judy

Summit, Alaska - 7/22/05 - countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00ffff&cdt=2005;7;22;17;45;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Constellation, Southern Caribbean - 2/19/05 - countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00ffff&cdt=2005;2;19;23;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Infinity, Alaska - 7/25/04 -countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00ffff&cdt=2004;7;25;17;00;00&timezone=PMT-0545

2/21/04 - Constellation, Southern Caribbean - Another incredibly wonderful cruise

2/22/03 - Constellation (Just a wonderful, wonderful cruise)

2/22/99 - Mercury

Monarch of the Sea

judyssfw,

I totally agree with you. We are booked on an Alaska cruise in May, 2005. Any info you could give us would be so appreciated. Thank you in advance.

P.S. We've been on lots of Caribbean cruises, but this is our first Alaska cruise.

Carol

I had read the complaints from some people about the long lists on each posting. I was all set to remove the list from my signature when three messages in a week came from complete strangers who had been on some of the cruises I'd experienced. icon_smile.gif I'm still corresponding with one of those people. The more I cruise the more I'm convinced that the great thing about cruising is the people you meet.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=228b22&cdt=2004;10;24;19;00;00&timezone=GMT+0100

Until our Millenium Month (10/24 & 11/07)<BR

Constellation-Transatlantic-Eastbound-26/04/03;

Norwegian Star-Hawaii & Fanning Island-11/24/02;

Bolero-Transatlantic W to E-04/99;

Triton-Greek Isles & Turkey-07/97;

Triton-Transatlantic W to E-03/94;

Atlas-Transatlantic W to E-04/87;

Lord Selkirk II-Lake Winnipeg-06/75 (Honeymoon)

I also like the list of ships people have sailed on included. I have used these boards mostly as an information exchange and I like to know what the persons perspective is when they are opining and think that it may help them to see what my experience has been when I'm giving my opinions. It never even occurred to me that it was bragging. Keep listing those ships!!

Starward 03/91; Dreamward 04/94; Victory 04/01; Mercury 01/03; Imagination 05/03; Paradise 11/03; Legend 01/04; Infinity 07/04; Zuiderdam 12/04

I just list the ones upcoming...

There has to be three groups of people...

1) Those who have been on too few cruises to impress anyone who might be impressed with such stuff...

2) Those who have been on just enough cruises to make for an interesting reasonable length list...and

3) Those who have been on far too many cruises to list without eating up unduly amounts of bandwidth...

Generally, it seems only those in Group #2 bother with the lists...

If I've been on a particular ship and the topic or thread relates to that ship, I can let people know in my reply...

But, merely listing ships and dates tells people little...Like saying:

"Grandeur of the Seas--1999" is not the same necessarily as:

"Grandeur of the Seas--2002"

Both would find their way onto my "list"... but the first was an Eastern Caribbean sailing, the second a Mexican Riviera sailing...and the ship also did European or Alaska sailings in those same years...

So, to really let people know if you've had shared experiences, you may have to list not only the ship and date, but the geographical area as well...

But, wait...one Mediterranean sailing, for example, might go from Barcelona to Marseilles to Nice to Rome to Tunis and back to Barcelona...while another might go from Venice to Corfu to Santorini to Rhodes to Mykonos to Athens...Those really aren't the same either...So, maybe we should all list Cruise line--ship--Date--Geographical area--list of ports...

At some point, some folks' "lists" are longer than their posts...

I always find it funny when someone's post reads:

###########################################

"I agree with Steve.

screennamebob

Phoenix, Arizona

417 days 13 hours 43 minutes until

Pirates of the Caribbean Cruise

Western Caribbean

7 nights out of Galveston, Texas

Carnival Elation

Come join us at this link: http/:http://www.croozecritics.com.pirates.1234567890.joinus.krooz

Carnival Elation 2004

Carnival Elation 2003

Carnival Elation 2002

Carnival Elation 2001

Carnival Elation 2000

Carnival Elation 1999

Carnival Elation 1998 (twice)

Norwegian Southward 1997

Norwegian Westward 1996

Norwegian Eastward 1995

Norwegian Northward 1994 (twice)

Staten Island Ferry 1993 (twice)

Jungle Cruise at Disneyland 1963-2002 (87 times)

Fishing with my Uncle Fred-Lake Castaic (it was in a boat) 1962

(3 or 4 dancing graphics)

My motto: "Time's sure fun when you're having flies"

Number of Posts: 4,873"

############################################

Summit, July 3, 2004: Alaska: 13 night cruisetour

Constellation, July 16, 2005: Northern Europe: 14 nights

I keep thinking I should delete mine... But it does orient you to the product that the person favors as well as the type of experience that they favor. Then you can place their remarks into context.

If someone with a lot of Carnival cruises complains about HAL being dull, that won't weigh heavily on my mind for example. I will just know that they favor a different type of onboard experience.And if a HAL cruiser complains about all the loud music by the pool (this did just happen), I wont really give it much thought. Whats interesting is when people who have been on both Celebrity and Carnival agree that the food is equally good !

Jacqueline

Constellation 3/20/04

HAL Westerdam 7/30/04

Tahitian Princess August 2003

Grand Princess Western Caribbean 2003

Brilliance of the Seas Baltic 2002

Ocean Princess- Alaska 2001

Celebrity Zenith- Bermuda 2001

Grand Princess Med 2000

Wise Guy. icon_wink.gif

Celebrity Century 5/8/04 -Western Caribbean

Carnival Ecstasy 2/04 - Baja

Tahitian Princess 2/03- French Polynesia

Sea Princess 7/02 - Alaska

Carnival Ecstasy 5/02 - Baja

Royal Caribbean Monarch 10/00 - Southern Caribbean

Carnival Elation 10/99 - Mexican Riviera

Royal Caribbean Monarch 1/97 - Southern Caribbean

<a href="mailto:PrincessOfQAL1@aol.com"> Click here to email me

<a href="http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/princessofqal1">Celebrity Century pics

I don't list mine primarily because of using other boards, where such lists make searching impossible (ie a camera forum where the models the poster owns in the sig means anyone searching for any model gets tons of irrelevant posts.)

However, I am unsure here if the search engine indexes signatures on posts. Of course, since the search engine here seldom seems to be working, this all may be irrelevant. icon_wink.gif

Dave

No Phil, it's Dave HAU icon_biggrin.gificon_razz.gificon_wink.gif

I think listing any cruise over two years old is not relevant as cruising has changed quite a bit since the "grand old days". Any review of such is pretty much irrelevant as well.

Have pity for those on dial-up who can wait long minutes waiting for a thread to open without crashing because off of those off-line silly graphics. Less is more, IMHO.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by flagger:

I think listing any cruise over two years old is not relevant as cruising has changed quite a bit since the "grand old days". Any review of such is pretty much irrelevant as well.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Flagger I have to disagree at least with Celebrity. We sailed the Century on the maiden voyage in 95 and sailed her again this year - 9 years difference - and found nearly everything the same - especially the ambience, service, and quality.

Zenith-Western Caribbean-6/92

Zenith-Eastern Caribbean-6/93

Century-Maiden Voyage-12/95

Galaxy-Southern Caribbean-11/99

Mercury-Northbound Alaska-6/00

Millennium-Westbound Transatlantic-9/01

Horizon-Western Caribbean - Adults only cruise-11/02

Millennium-Westbound Transatlantic 10/26/03

Century - Western Caribbean 1/31/04

HI Phil! icon_biggrin.gif

I was glad to read in the Roll Call thread that you survived your latest excursion!

As to your huh, I assume it's a request for clarification? The lists at the bottom of the posts are similar to ones found on other boards where folks might list cameras they own, or cars, or whatever. Some board operators ban these sort of lists because the search engine for the board indexes all the words in a post, including the list, and this makes search pretty useless. (Imagine someone searching for information on the Galaxy, and instead of getting posts about the Galaxy, gets every post where someone has put Galaxy in their list of ship names.) I spend a lot of time on a camera forum where using such lists in your signature gets you castigated at length, so I've gotten used to not doing it.

It's a board-specific thing though, and here it seems to be widely accepted.

I just tried the search here again to see if it indexed signatures, but got the ol' "TXT_ERR_SEARCH_IS_CURRENTLY_UNAVAILABLE" message. oh well....

Dave

Don't yell at me, but I think they are a waste of space, along with countdown clocks, winking and blinking signs, graphics, animated ships, people, animals, pens signing a signature, flowers growing, wine bottles filling a glass, and cows jumping over the moon. They are distracting and take up too much space. Sometimes folks have posted that the boards are verrrrry slow. I think these boards would probably be a lot quicker to navigate if half the space wasn't taken up by all that. Say what you want to say and post. Period!

I could live without the clocks and the animations...however the listing of past cruises speaks to the credibility of the poster. If someone says of a past X cruise "best (or worst) cruise I have ever had", it matters to me whether this is their first cruise or 21st cruise. For some strange reason I also seem more comfortable knowing where the person is from...I'm not sure why.

I have tried to condense mine so they don't take up as much space.

Dan

CenturyX1,GalaxyX2,HorizonX5,VolendamX1,

Zenith to Bermuda Oct/04

Century to E.Caribbean Feb/05

**email mrtnb(at)efni(dot)com

Marco,

Thank you for your input. We value everyone's comments.

Judy

Summit, Alaska - 7/22/05 - countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00ffff&cdt=2005;7;22;17;45;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Constellation, Southern Caribbean - 2/19/05 - countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00ffff&cdt=2005;2;19;23;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Infinity, Alaska - 7/25/04 -countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00ffff&cdt=2004;7;25;17;00;00&timezone=PMT-0545

2/21/04 - Constellation, Southern Caribbean - Another incredibly wonderful cruise

2/22/03 - Constellation (Just a wonderful, wonderful cruise)

2/22/99 - Mercury

Monarch of the Sea

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by marco:

Don't yell at me, but I think they are a waste of space, along with countdown clocks, winking and blinking signs, graphics, animated ships, people, animals, pens signing a signature, flowers growing, wine bottles filling a glass, and cows jumping over the moon. They are distracting and take up too much space. Sometimes folks have posted that the boards are verrrrry slow. I think these boards would probably be a lot quicker to navigate if half the space wasn't taken up by all that. Say what you want to say and post. Period!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just curious....do you like the little umbrellas in your drink? icon_wink.gif

I have no problem with the list of ships except for Newts. I have my doubts that he has ever cruised.

yanceycruiser

Carnival Pride Feb 03

Grand Princess Jan 01

RCL Enchantment of the Seas Jan 99

NCL Norway Jan 97

NCL Dream Jan 95

Sapphire Princess 8/22/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=000080&cdt=2004;8;22;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Archived