LA>Hawaii>LA cruises

AZPurdue

Greetings. I am a cruiser with 12 voyages so far. I am interested in taking one of the LA to Hawaii and back cruises. Hoping someone can answer my question who has sailed this route before.

I like my days at sea and this circuit definitely has plenty. However, when I have sailed out of LA and San Diego in the past, the first day out and back has been quite chilly on deck. How are the days at sea on the cruises to Hawaii? Is there plenty of pool time on the deck?

Thanks so much!

First two days and last two days can be chilly. Usually warms up the closer you sail to Hawaii.

Deck time? You'll have 4.5 days going and coming back, you'll have plenty of deck time.

I have done this cruise out of LA 4 times and once out of San Francisco (much prefer the port for LA ones, BTW!)

When I went the first time I assumed "sunny southern California equals warm" and was SO wrong. Damp, chilly, windy! My first purchase was a hoodie sweatshirt!!

Fortunately, starting about day 3, the temps got warmer on the way to HI. On the way back, a couple of days out from CA, it cooled off again.

We did the San Diego to Hawaii r/t on Celebrity, a few years ago. It was late April, and very pleasant in San Diego. However, the weather quickly got colder, as we crossed the Pacific. Let's just say that, by the time we got to Hawaii, the beach towels on the pool loungers had been replaced by blankets! Of course the weather in Hawaii was gorgeous, but we needed our long pants and hooded sweat-shirts for the return trip, as well. Still, a great trip. I wish that Celebrity still had a ship doing that particular itinerary.

We did this route with Carnival Miracle a few years ago. As previous posters have mentioned, it was cool and windy, with rocky seas, for the first two days out of Long Beach, and the last two days as we returned. Around the islands the weather was beautiful and the temps were warm.

we've done this itinerary three times out of LA on Princess. The ships we were on had a covered pool (a retractable roof) so for those who like going swimming on board, but not in the cool air, had an option. Our cruises were all during the holidays (last couple of weeks of December/first week of January) so the weather by LA tended to be cool, and sometimes rainy, but our return for that first cruise actually was warm due to a post rain storm/Santa Ana wind condition -- it was in the 80s in LA, which made for an interesting drive back home due to the snow in the San Bernandino mountains.

On the Princess cruises, there's a wonderful Hawaiian cultural program with many indoor activities on sea days, in addition to the regular activities you'll find on any Princess cruise. Plus, there's usually a Hawaiian duo on every Princess ships that sails to Hawaii from LA or SF (Elua is one of these duos, and they perform just about every day in the grand atrium or up on deck).