Dining recommendations in Sydney

Budapestimp

We will be staying at the Rydges World Square for 3 days prior to cruise. I would love recommendations for breakfast/lunch/dinner during our stay. It doesn't have to be within walking distance as transportation is easy. We would enjoy more Aussie specialties and restaurants. Thanks for your suggestions

Edited by Budapestimp

We will be staying at the Rydges World Square for 3 days prior to cruise. I would love recommendations for breakfast/lunch/dinner during our stay. It doesn't have to be within walking distance as transportation is easy. We would enjoy more Aussie specialties and restaurants. Thanks for your suggestions

The first question is "What is an Aussie specialty" we are literally a multi cultural society including food. You will find most food types represented here.

The few things you must try in my opinion are

Meat Pie (plenty of pie shops around that area including a Harry's Cafe de Wheels)

Pavlova

Lamington (most cake shops will have them)

Vegemite

Cherry Ripe (a type of Chocolate bar)

But we tend to eat a lot of red meat (the Bar-B-Que is almost as close as you will get to a national meal) both lamb and beef. Seafood is very popular.

But you'll also get

Pasta

Pizza

Greek

Chinese (in fact you're not far from China town)

It's pretty much a case of you name you'll probably be able to get it.

We tried Vegemite at our hotel breakfast buffet. It was very salty. Is it always this way, or did we get a bad "batch" ?

Vegemite is very salty and for novices best taken as just a scrape on hot toast with lashings of butter.

If you like Taiwanese dumplings and other Asian food there is a Din Tai Fung at World Square. Din Tai Fung dumplings, Xiao Long Bao, have been rated the tastiest dumpling in the world. They are best dipped in black vinegar with a little shredded ginger on top. They contain hot soup so be careful how you bite into them.

Vegemite is very salty and for novices best taken as just a scrape on hot toast with lashings of butter.

Thank you Mr. Gut

We also tried pavlova (very good) and a meat pie (very good). I didn't know about lamington or cherry ripe but after reading about them they sound good as well. I guess we'll have to come back....:)

Here's a link, it includes some I didn't realise you poor buggers didn't have

https://www.buzzfeed.com/jemimaskelley/its-hard-to-have-a-gaytime-on-your-own?utm_term=.bxMY5NDdb#.vdw8DB1Oq

I was reading your list and am wondering if you guys have food trucks or ice cream wagons on the street? If so are they good?

I was reading your list and am wondering if you guys have food trucks or ice cream wagons on the street? If so are they good?

Food trucks are usually limited to industrial type areas, where getting to a shop isn't practicable.

Ice Cream trucks still exist in some rural areas, but have all but disappeared in cities, too much traffic and too much competition from shops.

Rest of the world doesn't seem to have caught on to Vanilla Slice either.

One of my local bakeries does a variation on a vanilla slice that is to die for. It's a caramelized mille feuille. The three pastry layers (bottom, middle and top) have been sprinkled with sugar and blowtorched to create a crisp sugar layer rather like a creme brulee topping. Then one filling layer is custard, the other is cream. OMG! Soooo gooood!

Food trucks are usually limited to industrial type areas, where getting to a shop isn't practicable.

Not always true - there has been one in the middle of Chatswood over the past month. I think there are a few in various parts of the Sydney CBD but not sure exactly where. Also in Melbourne CBD.

Another great thing to do is to catch a late afternoon ferry to Manly, have a look around then have dinner there. There are plenty of good cafes and restaurants along the Esplanade on the ocean side and also some near the ferry wharf. If you love seafood I highly recommend Garfish - opposite the ferry wharf and along to the right. Hugos in Manly Wharf is also excellent and has wonderful harbour views. Both of these are quite expensive though - but remember you don't add tips to the bill. The Manly Wharf Hotel is a cheaper option.

After dinner you can catch the ferry back to the city and enjoy the city lights.

One of my local bakeries does a variation on a vanilla slice that is to die for. It's a caramelized mille feuille. The three pastry layers (bottom, middle and top) have been sprinkled with sugar and blowtorched to create a crisp sugar layer rather like a creme brulee topping. Then one filling layer is custard, the other is cream. OMG! Soooo gooood!

Might be OK, but too fancy for a simple Country lad.

Another great thing to do is to catch a late afternoon ferry to Manly, have a look around then have dinner there. There are plenty of good cafes and restaurants along the Esplanade on the ocean side and also some near the ferry wharf. If you love seafood I highly recommend Garfish - opposite the ferry wharf and along to the right. Hugos in Manly Wharf is also excellent and has wonderful harbour views. Both of these are quite expensive though - but remember you don't add tips to the bill. The Manly Wharf Hotel is a cheaper option.

After dinner you can catch the ferry back to the city and enjoy the city lights.

Not sure if it was you or someone else who posted something similar to this a few months back. I loved the idea so much I added it to my "must do" list! We leave in 2 weeks. Thank you!

Kathleen

Not sure if it was you or someone else who posted something similar to this a few months back. I loved the idea so much I added it to my "must do" list! We leave in 2 weeks. Thank you!

Kathleen

There are also some good takeaway places in Manly (fish and chips, hamburgers that type of stuff) where you can get something and just sit on the corso or beach to eat. Very pleasant.

We may not have many food trucks but yesterday our family were having a picnic at a park alongside Gunnamatta Bay in Sydney's south, where there is a shallow calm water beach. In came the ice-cream boat and everyone was lined up to buy their ice-creams and other treats. All the kids were quite excited!

We may not have many food trucks but yesterday our family were having a picnic at a park alongside Gunnamatta Bay in Sydney's south, where there is a shallow calm water beach. In came the ice-cream boat and everyone was lined up to buy their ice-creams and other treats. All the kids were quite excited!

That's the sort of spot you will see them, parks, sporting grounds, anywhere people (preferably families) are likely to gather and be relaxed.

There are also some good takeaway places in Manly (fish and chips, hamburgers that type of stuff) where you can get something and just sit on the corso or beach to eat. Very pleasant.

Good to know. We love great food but it certainly does not need to be in a fancy restaurant!

Edited by ceba

oops duplicate

Edited by ceba

Kathleen

It was probably me - one of our granddaughters loves to do this every time she comes to visit us, and I quite often recommend it here.

It's nice as a lunch trip too, but better for dinner as you get to see the harbour in daylight and at night. Try to get on the ferry as quickly as possible to get a seat outside.