Alternative Dining in KC on QM2

MarkBearSF

I recall hearing very positive reports of the rotating regional cuisine-themed dining area in the Kings Court. We like dressing up, tend to avoid buffets (even ones better designed than the previous KC), and truly enjoy the Britannia Dining Room. However, we're coming up on a 16 day RT crossing, so I'm thinking that at least one night we'll do the alternative dining for a change of pace. I have questions.

• Are the themes announced in advance, so one can plan the night to choose?
  • Is the area separate from the normal Kings Court buffet?
  • Is it a full-on buffet, or is some type of modified table service used?
  • Any recommendations which "ethnic" night to choose?
    ...or any other recommendations in general?

The themes rotate, a few days at a time and yes, they are advertised in advance.

We have only been to Coriander, the Indian themed pop-up restaurant. It was FULL table service in a separate area to the main part of KC and nothing short of superb. I couldn,t recommend it more highly and can not wait to go again.

All of the themes get solid reviews but in as much as the Britannia dining room offers usually at lunch, Italian, Curry and other ethnic dishes at least once or twice each voyage I could not see why I needed to pay a premium for the same food and none of the three different themes offer anything I can not get at home.

Yes the evening themes are arranged in advance. You can collect a full 'print out copy' from the 'Lido Maitre d' on the day of your embarkation. Although they are still printed daily in the Daily Programme , a full printed copy for your entire voyage/cruise comes in very useful for planning and booking ahead.

Just to add, Coriander is the most popular and is the one that is often booked up the most. If you enjoy Indian food then book it quickly. I aways enjoy Coriander and never miss a visit, however, the other month I booked the Italian and have to say, that was a delight also.

Edited by Bell Boy

All of the themes get solid reviews but in as much as the Britannia dining room offers usually at lunch, Italian, Curry and other ethnic dishes at least once or twice each voyage I could not see why I needed to pay a premium for the same food and none of the three different themes offer anything I can not get at home.

It is SOOOOO much more than a curry. It was Indian themed fine dining.

Interesting - I just posted the same query about QE on another thread.

It is interesting to hear the comments about these dining options on QM2. I am not sure if they have Coriander on QE, although I have in my mind that I read somewhere that the offerings will be consistent across the fleet ... but I could be wrong!

Yes the evening themes are arranged in advance. You can collect a full 'print out copy' from the 'Lido Maitre d' on the day of your embarkation...

Thanks - Would I be able to find this person on the first afternoon? Would s/he have a table set up?

Also, what are the themes? Coriander, Italian, and what?

- Mark

"Kings Court - Buffet style dining throughout the day and into the evening. In addition an area of this restaurant becomes a speciality dining area with table service.

Aztec (Mexican cuisine) $17.50pp

Bamboo (Pan-Asian cuisine) - $17.50pp

Coriander (Indian cuisine) - $17.50pp

La Piazza (Italian cuisine) - $17.50pp

Smokehouse (American cuisine) - $17.50pp"

copied from https://ask.cunard.com/help/life-on-board/cover_charges

----------------------------

Last month we dinned in La Piazza, a very pleasant venue with excellent service. As a main course, I ordered Chicken Parmesan. It tasted very much like the same dish I had ordered in the MDR at lunch a few days prior - both were not very good and bore little resemblance to the Italian food we know and love. The appetizer was barely editable and the dessert looked very tasty but I had lost my appetite at that point.

May I suggest that you take a look at the menu for each venue (available in Kings Court) prior to making a reservation as the choices are limited.

Edited by Salacia

I see Indian mentioned, can anyone tell me what other themes I can expect?[/

Asian (Lotus), Italian (La Piazza), American (Smokehouse)

"Kings Court - Buffet style dining throughout the day and into the evening. In addition an area of this restaurant becomes a speciality dining area with table service.

Last month we dinned in La Piazza, a very pleasant venue with excellent service. As a main course, I ordered Chicken Parmesan. It tasted very much like the same dish I had ordered in the MDR at lunch a few days prior - both were not very good and bore little resemblance to the Italian food we know and love. The appetizer was barely editable and the dessert looked very tasty but I had lost my appetite at that point.

May I suggest that you take a look at the menu for each venue (available in Kings Court) prior to making a reservation as the choices are limited.

Thank you both, trying to work out the "musts" for our five nighter.

An especial thank you for the last part about where the menus can be viewed.

In December, there was an electronic sign outside the alternative dining area that scrolled through the schedule. We were happy with the PG and didn't bother trying the alternative restaurant. They close it off from the D stairs, so it's no longer like eating dinner in a hallway. Nicer for the diners, but it does mean the only route to/from the grills at dinner time is via D stairs/lifts.

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder

We all seem to agree that taste in food in very subjective. I have tried Aztec, Coriander and Bamboo, previously known as Lotus. I have not tried La Piazza since I can easily make Italian food at home. Asian is my favorite of those that i have tried. I believe that if you take stairway C you will find the maitre d' at his desk along with menus posted on a shelf behind him. The menus are displayed in order of presentation. I have been told that it is up to the chef what themed cuisine will be offered from week to week.I don't know if this is really true. The maitre d' is very pleasant and you can speak to him and make your reservations. I have watched the prices climb over a short period of time and wonder if the 17.50 is truly worth the price.

In December, there was an electronic sign outside the alternative dining area that scrolled through the schedule. We were happy with the PG and didn't bother trying the alternative restaurant. They close it off from the D stairs, so it's no longer like eating dinner in a hallway. Nicer for the diners, but it does mean the only route to/from the grills at dinner time is via D stairs/lifts.

I have attached a picture of the new electronic boards appearing around the fleet.

IMG_0377.jpg.1e2435be800574a6d10506ca50e010b7.jpg

Edited by Pennbank

As always, thank you, Salacia, for your excellent suggestions and complete response!

- Mark

Well some of us did try to help. :(

I certainly enjoyed my meal ( La Piazza) and that's coming from someone who owns a holiday home within the confines of the Emilie and Lombardie Provinces , south of Piacenza.

Edited by Bell Boy