Those who have done Carnival & RC, just booked on RC...

kctwinmommy

We got off the Independence of the Seas 3 days ago and we had My Time Dining. The 1st night we went down to the dining room at 6:30 and were told that they were full and to come back at 8:00 pm. When we tried to make reservations for 6:00 we were told that the 6:00 slot was full for the remainder of the cruise, so we made reservations for 8:00. The next night we showed up at 5:45 to see if we could get in without a reservation, we had no issue getting a table. Basically, we were told that the reservations are held for 15 minutes and then marked as a no show, which then opens up the table. They will give out the pagers when needed.

We loved the ice show and Grease. We didn't need reservations for the shows, we would get there at least 15 minutes early, usually 30 minutes though. We thought that the entertainment and food was better than Carnival.

Perfect! Thanks! At least it's something we'll be sure to check on.

Been on 6 Carnival and 2 Royal (and a few others). Just off Liberty last week (as was someone else on here).

I agree with what's been said:

Carnival

Younger crowd

Extensive "free" food options that are excellent (Guys, the Tortilla/Taco place, Seafood etc). None of that on Royal

24 hour ice cream - kids loved that

Popcorn for the movies on deck

Much more daily activities during sea days

Royal

Nicer and more elegant ships

Older crowd

Good outdoor activities (Flowrider, rock wall)

Kids didn't go with us on Royal last week, but we are planning our next cruise for next Jan - kids are coming and we are planning Carnival. Would only take kids if we were going on Royal Harmony (just too expensive).

Been on 6 Carnival and 2 Royal (and a few others). Just off Liberty last week (as was someone else on here).

I agree with what's been said:

Carnival

Younger crowd

Extensive "free" food options that are excellent (Guys, the Tortilla/Taco place, Seafood etc). None of that on Royal

24 hour ice cream - kids loved that

Popcorn for the movies on deck

Much more daily activities during sea days

Royal

Nicer and more elegant ships

Older crowd

Good outdoor activities (Flowrider, rock wall)

Kids didn't go with us on Royal last week, but we are planning our next cruise for next Jan - kids are coming and we are planning Carnival. Would only take kids if we were going on Royal Harmony (just too expensive).

Thanks for the response. We don't usually do much on the sea days anyway, other than sitting around in the sun, reading, etc... So I'm OK with a little less daily activities. Sometimes I wish Carnival wouldn't be so loud on the Lido deck all day! LOL! I do like the different ship amenities though, so looking forward to that. As I said, this itinerary has 4 port days and 3 sea days, so we're really only on the ship for those 3 days. The port days are long.

So you have to make a reservation to go to the shows??

Our last two cruises were on RCI (Independence and Radiance) but we've mostly done Carnival and HAL. It looks like you've booked Independence and unless they have changed it, you do not need reservations for the main theater shows - just show up 15-20 minutes early for decent seats. As someone mentioned the newer RCI ships (Oasis class, Quantum class) do require show reservations. The ice shows do distribute tickets the morning of the shows on a first come, first served basis and the location for that will be announced in the Cruise Compass.

Our last two cruises were on RCI (Independence and Radiance) but we've mostly done Carnival and HAL. It looks like you've booked Independence and unless they have changed it, you do not need reservations for the main theater shows - just show up 15-20 minutes early for decent seats. As someone mentioned the newer RCI ships (Oasis class, Quantum class) do require show reservations. The ice shows do distribute tickets the morning of the shows on a first come, first served basis and the location for that will be announced in the Cruise Compass.

Yes, on the Independence. And thanks for the info!