San Juan????

tyrod15

Flying in to SJU and scheduled to arrive @5:50am on 3/11/17 for cruise to leave that night. My question is can I do both forts and be back at the pier for boarding around 12:00pm? And secondly, any suggestions on the best way to do the forts, i.e. which one first, how to get from one to the other, what to do with luggage, etc. Thanks for any help..

You should have enough time to do both. The forts open at 9am and theres a $5.00 fee which cover the two. A free trolly runs from directly in front of the cruise terminals. You also can catch the trolly to El Morro but its not a hard walk.If there are any ships in port for the day you might have to wait on line. Cristabol is about a 15 minute walk but its all up hill. To get from Cristibol to El Morro just follow the ocean wall to it. Takes about another 10 to 15 minutes. This walk is a flat and or downhill walk. From El Morro to the port, another 10 minute walk. There are a couple of restaurants that will hold your luggage, off hand I dont remember who they were. Look through the posts you might find them. Download a city tour map, theres a lot of sights to see in a small city.

You should have enough time to do both. The forts open at 9am and theres a $5.00 fee which cover the two. A free trolly runs from directly in front of the cruise terminals. You also can catch the trolly to El Morro but its not a hard walk.If there are any ships in port for the day you might have to wait on line. Cristabol is about a 15 minute walk but its all up hill. To get from Cristibol to El Morro just follow the ocean wall to it. Takes about another 10 to 15 minutes. This walk is a flat and or downhill walk. From El Morro to the port, another 10 minute walk. There are a couple of restaurants that will hold your luggage, off hand I dont remember who they were. Look through the posts you might find them. Download a city tour map, theres a lot of sights to see in a small city.

Thanks so much for the info!

• 2 weeks later...

Our flight is landing at 1:30 pm. We plan to head straight to our ship, leave our bags then head out to visit at least one of the forts. Do you think we would have time? I imagine we would like to be back on the ship by about 6:30 or so just to settle in, etc. Our ship leaves port at 10:00 pm. If we can only squeeze in one fort, which would you recommend?

The most known place to store your luggage is at Barrachina so make sure to take a taxi directly to it when they open at 9am or to the nearest taxi stand at Plaza de Armas, which is half a block from Barrachina. From there, and due to where you will be located in SJ, I would recommend going up Calle Cristo towards el Morro and do that first, walk over to San Cristobal (just under a mile, flat or downhill almost all the way) and then take Calle Sol to Calle San Jose and down to calle Fortaleza near where you started. Sounds like a freakin' maze but it's really simple. If you wait for the trolley in front of the entrance to El Morro (no the far entrance to the grounds but the main entrance to the fort) you will be able to catch the trolley on it's way back to San Cristobal. It might be more difficult to take it at San Cristobal to ride down to the pier since they come mostly full from El Morro.