Info needed for Boston hotel & worth arriving a few days early?

bigsky

Taking a cruise end of May. Thinking of flying in a few days prior to the cruise instead of the normal day prior. Since we've never cruised from Boston, wondering if it's worth the extra cost since hotels are pricy? Much to see?

Also, any specific hotels you recommend that aren't too expensive? I'm reading they're expensive. Don't want to spend over 200.00 per night. Any hotels with free shuttle to the hotel. Very clueless with Boston as we always cruise out of Florida.

Thanks!

Taking a cruise end of May. Thinking of flying in a few days prior to the cruise instead of the normal day prior. Since we've never cruised from Boston, wondering if it's worth the extra cost since hotels are pricy? Much to see?

Also, any specific hotels you recommend that aren't too expensive? I'm reading they're expensive. Don't want to spend over 200.00 per night. Any hotels with free shuttle to the hotel. Very clueless with Boston as we always cruise out of Florida.

Thanks!

What exact dates are you looking at? If you're on the Dawn, you have a better chance of getting a hotel deal post cruise on a Fri and Sat night than you do on a Tues, Wed, Thur night precruise. $200 is a very tight budget. If the right deal is out there on Hotwire, you have to be prepared to act on it. Generally any 3.5*+ hotel in central Boston with at least a 80% approval rating is going to suit just fine. It will all depend on the dates you are considering.

What exact dates are you looking at? If you're on the Dawn, you have a better chance of getting a hotel deal post cruise on a Fri and Sat night than you do on a Tues, Wed, Thur night precruise. $200 is a very tight budget. If the right deal is out there on Hotwire, you have to be prepared to act on it. Generally any 3.5*+ hotel in central Boston with at least a 80% approval rating is going to suit just fine. It will all depend on the dates you are considering.

Post cruise was too expensive to fly home. We're flying in about the 24th of May. Just no clue where to stay. Any area good that has stuff to do close by? Yes the Dawn

Post cruise was too expensive to fly home. We're flying in about the 24th of May. Just no clue where to stay. Any area good that has stuff to do close by? Yes the Dawn

For May 24-26 there is a 4* hotel on Hotwire right now in the Seaport Area for $227 plus taxes and fees. My best guess is that this is the Seaport Hotel, but it could be the Westin, the Renaissance, or the Envoy. None of these hotels would disappoint. The Seaport area has the newest pool of hotels in Boston developed within the last twenty years.

If you can roll your luggage, all these hotels are accessible for free from Logan Airport via the Silver Line bus. They are also the closest hotels to the Back Falcon pier, so your transportation costs can be kept to a minimum.

For May 24-26 there is a 4* hotel on Hotwire right now in the Seaport Area for $227 plus taxes and fees. My best guess is that this is the Seaport Hotel, but it could be the Westin, the Renaissance, or the Envoy. None of these hotels would disappoint. The Seaport area has the newest pool of hotels in Boston developed within the last twenty years.

If you can roll your luggage, all these hotels are accessible for free from Logan Airport via the Silver Line bus. They are also the closest hotels to the Back Falcon pier, so your transportation costs can be kept to a minimum.

Good area for these hotels? 227 a descent price? thanks for your help! Then how far is the port from these hotels? Much to do? Any hotel better than the other due to location with lots to do in walking distance? Just plan on taking local transportation?

Good area for these hotels? 227 a descent price? thanks for your help! Then how far is the port from these hotels? Much to do? Any hotel better than the other due to location with lots to do in walking distance? Just plan on taking local transportation?

This is a good price. The Black Falcon Terminal is located in this area just blocks from these hotels. There are restaurants in this area as well as the waterfront harbor walk. It's primarily a new office, hotel, and convention area near the water.

What are you planning to do in Boston? Freedom Trail, Hoho trolley, shopping, Faneuil Hall/Quincy Market? What do you consider "lots to do"? You would have to take Public transit to get to some places, but that's true of any area you stay in.

This is a good price. The Black Falcon Terminal is located in this area just blocks from these hotels. There are restaurants in this area as well as the waterfront harbor walk. It's primarily a new office, hotel, and convention area near the water.

What are you planning to do in Boston? Freedom Trail, Hoho trolley, shopping, Faneuil Hall/Quincy Market? What do you consider "lots to do"? You would have to take Public transit to get to some places, but that's true of any area you stay in.

No idea what to do!! We just booked it because of the America's Cup in Bermuda. Came out of the blue and never been to Boston. Not sure what are must sees. I just thought since we've never been there, would be nice to explore a little. Is this near the "theatre district"? Just read something about that area. Have not done my homework on what there is to do. Mixing a little historic and shopping sounds fun to me. But I'm kind of open to anything.

No idea what to do!! We just booked it because of the America's Cup in Bermuda. Came out of the blue and never been to Boston. Not sure what are must sees. I just thought since we've never been there, would be nice to explore a little. Is this near the "theatre district"? Just read something about that area. Have not done my homework on what there is to do. Mixing a little historic and shopping sounds fun to me. But I'm kind of open to anything.

What time does your flight arrive on Wed? If budget is a concern, My suggestion would be to Hotwire the 4* hotel in the Seaport area. This will keep your transportation costs down. On Thur take the Silver Line two stops to South Station and transfer to the Red Line direction Alewife and go two stops to Park St which is on the edge of the Boston Common. Walk the Freedom Trail through the downtown area to Faneuil Hall/Quincy Market to shop and have lunch. In the afternoon either walk the North End or take the MBTA water taxi to see the Constitution in Charlestown. Either walk along the waterfront back to the Seaport area or take a cab.

I'm not really keen on the Theater District. The less expensive hotels there (less expensive is a relative term) are not as nice. My husband stayed in several of them during snow events and was underwhelmed. The other nice area for hotels is Back Bay/Copley, but prices are very high for your dates.

I booked it! Got the Seaport Hotel. Now what to do on Thursday? Booking our air. How far is the airport from port? Trying to see what time to fly out. Found one that works...11:20 Think that should be good...?

I booked it! Got the Seaport Hotel. Now what to do on Thursday? Booking our air. How far is the airport from port? Trying to see what time to fly out. Found one that works...11:20 Think that should be good...?

Excellent! If you get yourselves off the ship (self disembark?), you should be able to make a 11:20 flight. The airport is across the harbor from Black Falcon just through the Ted Williams Tunnel. 10-15 minutes by cab.

When you fly in the free Silver Line is a definite option for getting to the Seaport. The bus comes through the Williams Tunnel and stops right on Congress Street near Seaport Lane which is where the hotel main entrance is located. If you can roll your luggage, it's a very easy trip with one step up onto the bus (board at the rear doors). If you want to go in town, you go into the World Trade T Station, buy a ticket from the machine ($2.75), and ride two stops to South Station where you can do a free transfer to the Red Line. http://www.mbta.com/schedules_and_maps/subway/

https://www.zagat.com/c/boston-ma/seaport-district-restaurants

https://www.yelp.com/search?cflt=breakfast_brunch&find_loc=Waterfront%2C+Boston%2C+MA

711 across the street from the hotel on Northern Ave.

Excellent! If you get yourselves off the ship (self disembark?), you should be able to make a 11:20 flight. The airport is across the harbor from Black Falcon just through the Ted Williams Tunnel. 10-15 minutes by cab.

When you fly in the free Silver Line is a definite option for getting to the Seaport. The bus comes through the Williams Tunnel and stops right on Congress Street near Seaport Lane which is where the hotel main entrance is located. If you can roll your luggage, it's a very easy trip with one step up onto the bus (board at the rear doors). If you want to go in town, you go into the World Trade T Station, buy a ticket from the machine ($2.75), and ride two stops to South Station where you can do a free transfer to the Red Line. http://www.mbta.com/schedules_and_maps/subway/

https://www.yelp.com/search?cflt=breakfast_brunch&find_loc=Waterfront%2C+Boston%2C+MA

Thanks so much! We get in at 5pm on Wed. We'll probably go to our hotel, eat dinner, and walk around the area. We'll set Thursday to explore.

Taking the bus is easy for sure?? Just used to taking shuttles or taxi's.

Thanks!

Thanks so much! We get in at 5pm on Wed. We'll probably go to our hotel, eat dinner, and walk around the area. We'll set Thursday to explore.

Taking the bus is easy for sure?? Just used to taking shuttles or taxi's.

Thanks!

I think it's easy and do it all the time to and from Logan Airport. You don't have to decide now. Check it out when you get there. If you don't like the look of it, get in the cab line. What airline are you flying? The bus picks up on the arrivals level. Outbound from Logan the World Trade Center street stop (not the inside world Trade Center stop) is the first stop after Terminal E. Be sure to get on the rear door with your luggage. There are luggage racks.

As for what to do in Boston, the Freedom Trail is always a recommendation, and mandatory for a history buff. Depending on how in depth you want to visit the many sites along the trail, it can be a couple of hours, or all day as you have a late breakfast near the Common, lunch at Quincy Market, and dinner in the North End or Charlestown. All the history of colonial America is there to see. The Kennedy Library is another great site. Not sure I'd recommend renting a car in Boston, as it's a challenge, but if you do, Lexington and Concord, or Salem are possibilities as well.

If you're in the North End, see a little known historical site on Commercial Street, the plaque commemorating the "Great Molasses Flood" where a wave of molasses 40 feet high, traveling 35 miles an hour wiped out a good portion of the North End in 1919, killing 21 people, and resulting in the first "class action" lawsuit in the US.

As for what to do in Boston, the Freedom Trail is always a recommendation, and mandatory for a history buff. Depending on how in depth you want to visit the many sites along the trail, it can be a couple of hours, or all day as you have a late breakfast near the Common, lunch at Quincy Market, and dinner in the North End or Charlestown. All the history of colonial America is there to see. The Kennedy Library is another great site. Not sure I'd recommend renting a car in Boston, as it's a challenge, but if you do, Lexington and Concord, or Salem are possibilities as well.

If you're in the North End, see a little known historical site on Commercial Street, the plaque commemorating the "Great Molasses Flood" where a wave of molasses 40 feet high, traveling 35 miles an hour wiped out a good portion of the North End in 1919, killing 21 people, and resulting in the first "class action" lawsuit in the US.

Not much of a history buff. Spending all my time doing that isn't for me :D

No renting a car either. Too much of a hassle. More stress than it's worth. Going to keep notes of what's there to do and research what appeals to us. Always welcome recommendations! Thank you

I think it's easy and do it all the time to and from Logan Airport. You don't have to decide now. Check it out when you get there. If you don't like the look of it, get in the cab line. What airline are you flying? The bus picks up on the arrivals level. Outbound from Logan the World Trade Center street stop (not the inside world Trade Center stop) is the first stop after Terminal E. Be sure to get on the rear door with your luggage. There are luggage racks.

We're flying in on Alaska

Is it pretty easily found the place you go to catch the bus? Takes us directly to hotel? (seaport) Sorry so many questions. Just used to Florida! : )

Been looking at it more. The Freedom trail looks interesting. I want to go to the market area for sure for some shopping. Looks like a nice day it will be. Glad I decided to have an extra day there.

Alaska

I fly Alaska a lot to Portland. I just did it two weeks ago. They arrive at Terminal C. The baggage claim is very quick because the plane is gated just above the baggage claim. When you exit the terminal on the lower level, you cross over to the first traffic island and the Silver Line stops on the left side. There is a display board that tells you how many minutes to the next bus. Couldn't be easier.

Try to get on the rear door if possible. If you can, tell the driver you want to get off on the street by the World Trade Center stop (there is also an indoor World Trade Center Station that is for all other traffic - the bus only "debarks" on the street coming from the airport). You go to the traffic light (same direction as the bus is going), cross the street (Congess St), and continue straight ahead on Seaport Lane to the hotel main entrance.

Edited by 138east

I fly Alaska a lot to Portland. I just did it two weeks ago. They arrive at Terminal C. The baggage claim is very quick because the plane is gated just above the baggage claim. When you exit the terminal on the lower level, you cross over to the first traffic island and the Silver Line stops on the left side. There is a display board that tells you how many minutes to the next bus. Couldn't be easier.

Try to get on the rear door if possible. If you can, tell the driver you want to get off on the street by the World Trade Center stop (there is also an indoor World Trade Center Station that is for all other traffic - the bus only "debarks" on the street coming from the airport). You go to the traffic light (same direction as the bus is going), cross the street (Congess St), and continue straight ahead on Seaport Lane to the hotel main entrance.

Thank you! Does sound easy

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I live outside Boston as well - you are getting some great recommendations here. The Seaport Hotel is very centrally located and in a safe area to walk around day or night. My teenage daughter went to a convention there last year and I was very comfortable with the kids walking around Harborwalk and the general hotel area as long as nobody was alone. Taxis are very plentiful in front of the hotel and the Silver Line "T" (subway) station is very close.

The Freedom Trail is really interesting, even if you aren't totally into history. I would recommend starting from Boston Common, and doing one of the official Freedom Tours with the costumed guides. We've taken guests in to the city and done the Trail both with the guides and with a self guided map - with the guide is much better.

Fanuil Hall and Quincy Market are definitely fun for shopping and lunch/dinner. If you aren't particularly hungry at lunch it can be fun to get a bunch of different foods from the center of the Market, and sample some different things. Newbury Street is also a fun place for shopping and lunch, if you are into that.

If you run into bad weather and want to do something inside, I think your best bets would be the Aquarium (located on the waterfront right behind Quincy Market), the Museum of Fine Arts, or the Museum of Science, depending on what you are into. All are IMO worth the time and money.

Unless you plan to venture out of the city I would not bother renting a car. Boston is definitely not very driver friendly - you will sit forever in traffic and have a hard time parking. I would either buy a day pass for unlimited travel on the MBTA system, or cab it around. It is a super walkable city if you end up with nice weather and don't mind walking.

Let me know if you want recommendations on restaurants and such. My husband works in the city and we go in a lot.