App for texting group on NCL Dawn

World Gallery

We are trying to research the best way to communiciate with our group while on the NCL Dawn. We have been on tons of cruises but none in the past 3 years so I am assuming things have changed. I found the Norwegian iConcierge App but it has mixed reviews. There is a small fee but that is fine if it actually works. All we need is to be able to text back and forth basic info about meeting up, etc. Any ideas and has anyone used the NCL app recently? Are there any other apps that can work this same way?

I read in another thread about using Post-Its to communicate. Sounded like such a great idea I went out immediately and bought a pkg with 6 different colors (for the 6 of us that are cruising together).

Apps are wonderful when they work but our rooms are all close enough together that I think simply leaving notes on a designated door will be more efficient for us.

I am researching this as well. Here's what I found...

The small fee is per device and everyone should get the app on your phone before the ship sets sail. Everyone will have their own iconcierge tele#. Put your phones on airplane mode so there's no text/call fee. You can text and you can call. One bad thing: You cannot group text..bummer...so you have to text everyone individually. People at home can have the iconcierge app also and you can communicate with them even if they are not on the ship with you.

We are a group of 8+ and thinking of taking walkie talkies as alternative but those aren't always convenient.

We typically use post it notes and stick them on each other's cabin door. This works well if you go to/from your room a few times during the day. I guess we could call eachother's rooms and leave messages--that might be another good solution.

Since we are going on the Breakaway, I doubt we will be to/from our rooms as much so something like the iconcierge or walkies might have to do the trick.

Because of the name, I was surprised to find the app is also available for Android.

When you say "hit and miss," what do you mean? Did your phone not always connect with the ship's system? Were you unable to send messages? Did messages not get through to the recipient?

Also, did you use it for getting ship info? What kind of info is available for meals, entertainment, excursions? It apparently only works once you are on board, until then you just have a "Cruise Countdown."

I'll be on the Pearl which is one of the ships it supposedly works on, and I am an app fancier. ;)

Leaving phone messages would not work for us. To get the message, you have to look at the phone, see the light is blinking, and call the number to retrieve messages. I guarantee we will miss one or more of those steps. lol

Edited by mamasylvia

Post it notes work well for us. I am always amazed at how often we all end up running into each other anyway. We also pick the same area to sit in the sun so thats always a good meeting spot too. Tried the walkie talkies back in 2001 but it was a pain to lug them around.

The app for Android is free, I got it from Google Play yesterday.

The app description says that it is free to use on the ship to get info. Obviously have not tested that yet and from other comments it appears that there is a charge to use the message feature onboard.

Also from the app description:

To reach guests who are sailing onboard Norwegian Epic, Norwegian Breakaway, Norwegian Getaway, Norwegian Pearl, Norwegian Jewel, Norwegian Pride of America, Norwegian Star, Norwegian Sun, Norwegian Jade, Norwegian Escape & Norwegian Gem using the Norwegian iConcierge Phone Feature, please call: 1-877-308-5605 (Toll-Free, US Only) or 305-400-4629 (Local or Outside US), select the ship the guest is sailing on, and dial their stateroom number or their direct extension…

Is there a cost for the app itself or just the usage fee on the ship? Also, is it true that someone not on the ship can use the app to text someone on the ship?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Do a search on CC for use of Apple's iMessage (text not pictures)...... this is what you probably heard about. The NCL wireless network allows for iMessage to communicate with other iMessage users both on the ship and back home without the iConcierge Text \ Talk add on to be purchased.

Because of the name, I was surprised to find the app is also available for Android.

When you say "hit and miss," what do you mean? Did your phone not always connect with the ship's system? Were you unable to send messages? Did messages not get through to the recipient?

Also, did you use it for getting ship info? What kind of info is available for meals, entertainment, excursions? It apparently only works once you are on board, until then you just have a "Cruise Countdown."

I'll be on the Pearl which is one of the ships it supposedly works on, and I am an app fancier. ;)

Leaving phone messages would not work for us. To get the message, you have to look at the phone, see the light is blinking, and call the number to retrieve messages. I guarantee we will miss one or more of those steps. lol

The iconceirge app for Norwegian will only activate when on board the ship or sometimes from the terminal pre-board. Using it for just basic information or to book dinner is free. Using it to text/call others ONBOARD the same ship is $9.99 per device. It worked just fine for communicating with others on ship.

I am researching this as well. Here's what I found...

The small fee is per device and everyone should get the app on your phone before the ship sets sail. Everyone will have their own iconcierge tele#. Put your phones on airplane mode so there's no text/call fee. You can text and you can call. One bad thing: You cannot group text..bummer...so you have to text everyone individually. People at home can have the iconcierge app also and you can communicate with them even if they are not on the ship with you.

We are a group of 8+ and thinking of taking walkie talkies as alternative but those aren't always convenient.

We typically use post it notes and stick them on each other's cabin door. This works well if you go to/from your room a few times during the day. I guess we could call eachother's rooms and leave messages--that might be another good solution.

Since we are going on the Breakaway, I doubt we will be to/from our rooms as much so something like the iconcierge or walkies might have to do the trick.

In this post it says that people can message through iconcierge. I'm trying to find out if this is true.

In this post it says that people can message through iconcierge. I'm trying to find out if this is true.

It is true and costs about $9.95 per device for the text / call add on.

You cannot text family / friends at home via iConcierge as it only works to other iConcierge users with the $9.95 text / call add on.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Forums mobile app

I was on the Dawn in November and iMessages on iphone actually worked when connected to Wifi, even if not logged in to ship internet access. IT guys have told me that imessage is notoriously hard for firewalls to block, and we were able to do imessage back and forth the whole cruise. Wasn't able to send pics, but short text worked fine.