Barbados flights

ospreycruiser

Hiya,

I paid £300 in total for premium for just me. I even phoned Thomas Cook and asked if they charged for seat reservations for premium and they confirmed they did not. They gave me their booking link and said I could book the seats direct, I did try but it said on an information page that

" Please note that if you have booked a cruise with P & O cruises, you will need to check in at the airport as P & O have already allocated your seat" !!!

Therefore I could not book my seat with Thomas Cook. I noted on Cruise Personaliser that a lot of seats were greyed in and not bookable, maybe these have been saved for cruise passengers.

Seems that P & O are actually making on the £30 each way seat reservations. Either way it is still not right to have to pay extra for a seat - I will email the agents and phone Thomas Cook tomorrow, as I only chatted online to TC yesterday.

Sorry to go on, but this has really got my goat as they say.

Lyneehub :confused:

Sorry but I really don’t think you can go any further with this. If P&O charter the aircraft then they make the rules. We are not enthusiastic about paying for seats either and I was really surprised to discover it but that’s the way it is. Just going to accept things as they are. Maybe you could save yourself further aggravation by doing the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am going in Jan 18 to Caribbean on Britannia and have paid for premium seat but disgusted to find that p and o have a fee of £30 each way for reserving seats, even though Thomas Cook states the reservation with premium is free. Has anyone else experienced this?

The advice page on the P&O website shows the booking fee for a ‘standard seat’ (£30 one way) and an ‘emergency exit seat’ (£70 one way) No mention of charges for a ‘premium seat’. If I were you I would go back to where you booked your upgrade. It would make sense to book the seat at the time of booking the upgrade. I would want to know that I was sitting with my partner before paying a £600 surcharge for the two of us. Maybe they forgot to give you the option to select your seat when you booked the upgrade?

PS. I would be disgusted too.

Edited by lansonlady
incorrect term used

We booked the upgrade at the same time as the cruise. You have to book with P&O and you can’t choose seats at that time. There are no premium seats only standard or extra legroom seats. Seats become available, I think, 14 weeks before the flight, regardless of the cabin you choose, so unless you book late then you don’t have the option to choose seats at the same time as requesting the upgrade to the premium cabin.

We booked the upgrade at the same time as the cruise. You have to book with P&O and you can’t choose seats at that time. There are no premium seats only standard or extra legroom seats. Seats become available, I think, 14 weeks before the flight, regardless of the cabin you choose, so unless you book late then you don’t have the option to choose seats at the same time as requesting the upgrade to the premium cabin.

Out of interest Sundancer, did you pay £60 per passenger to book your seats? And did you do it yourself on the cruise personaliser? And were you told the cost of booking your seats when you booked the premium economy seat with P&O?

Thanks.

Yes we paid £60 each to book the seats. We booked our cruise through a travel agent, not direct with P&O. I should add that we have never cruised with P&O before and are quite unfamiliar with charter flight arrangements. I was not aware of the cost of reserving seats as a relative had recently flown in Premium with TC and did not pay to book seats. Hers was a flight booked direct with the airline however. Our travel agent told us when the seats would become available and I booked on the CP on the day they were released to ensure we were sat together.

I don’t believe anyone should be surprised or burdened with hidden charges.

The advice given on the website of what is included in a premium economy upgrade does not show free seat reservation. However, the charges for reserving seats does not show any charge for a premium economy upgrade seat. The seat charges shown are for standard seats and emergency exit seats only. This is ambiguous.

P&O might say the passenger should ask about any seat booking charges before or whilst booking the upgrade.

The passenger might interpret all the information provided on the P&O website advice pages and believe the charges are included in the £300 upgrade charge as they are not paying for a standard seat.

Advice given by P&O on charges should be clear and not intentionally or unintentionally ambiguous.

If passengers don’t look for charges in the P&O advice pages, then I suppose they can’t complain. But if you do look to determine how much your cruise extras are going to cost then you should be able to expect clear and accurate information from the P&O Website.

Edited by lansonlady
missing text

I am going in Jan 18 to Caribbean on Britannia and have paid for premium seat but disgusted to find that p and o have a fee of £30 each way for reserving seats, even though Thomas Cook states the reservation with premium is free. Has anyone else experienced this?

I’m sailing this Jan and have also paid for premium economy.I think it’s disgusting that they expect to £30 more each way when we have already paid £350.I’m not paying will just get to Check early enough and let them book my seat.I also booked through Thomas Cook.

I’m sailing this Jan and have also paid for premium economy.I think it’s disgusting that they expect to £30 more each way when we have already paid £350.I’m not paying will just get to Check early enough and let them book my seat.I also booked through Thomas Cook.
If you booked a BA club ticket you would pay £60 each way to select your seat. Why do you think it is "disgusting " to pay £30 ?

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app

Booked premium economy for a BA scheduled flight as part of a cruise package. Had to pay the total flight costs when seats released (in order to book specific seats), we also then had to pay extra to book the seats. I get stressed flying and as I want to be sure that we’re sitting together and where, I pay for the privilege. It seems to be the way of the world me that where they can get more money out of folks they will. For peace of mind I’ll pay it even if I’m not too happy about it.

Booked premium economy for a BA scheduled flight as part of a cruise package. Had to pay the total flight costs when seats released (in order to book specific seats), we also then had to pay extra to book the seats. I get stressed flying and as I want to be sure that we’re sitting together and where, I pay for the privilege. It seems to be the way of the world me that where they can get more money out of folks they will. For peace of mind I’ll pay it even if I’m not too happy about it.

Makes sense if you’re not a happy flyer but for us £120 return would go towards an excursion or two onboard - hopefully if we get to check in early enough there’ll still be seats together on aisles, given the seat configuration of 3 3 3

If you booked a BA club ticket you would pay £60 each way to select your seat. Why do you think it is "disgusting " to pay £30 ?

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app

If I was booking a BA club ticket I would have the option to book my seat immediately, for a charge, but I would know what that charge was before I proceeded with my booking and payment. I would have all the information about my flight costs.

If I book a Premium economy with P&O, I would not know there is an additional charge for reserving seats before booking and payment. The website does not tell you, and you can not choose your seat at the point of booking and payment.

That’s what is ‘disgusting’. Intentional or unintentional ambiguity?

Paying to choose a seat is still optional, P&O will book you in and allocate if you don't want to pay. Perhaps thats why they don't mention the supplement as it is optional. They make the surcharge very plain in respect of regional airport departure charges as there is no choice if you fly from those you will be charged for it. £299 is a lot to pay for premium but I like it for the small package of extras, I do pay for a seat as I need to be on the aisle, if I didn't I wouldn't.

However P&O flights to the Caribbean get a major tick from me for the way they are bonded flights and you just check in, fly, arrive, get on a bus and travel to the ship where your luggage magically reappears and repeats in reverse when you depart. I would pay much more then £30 for that service to be offered on a scheduled flight. Many horrendous memories of using BA scheduled from the Caribbean post cruise as Thompson did not fly over Xmas, never again.