Starting to feel a little ehhhh about our upcoming cruise

Soramor

We always had the feeling 7d vacays never cut it, AI's or cruises. The first and last day were write offs. After 12N's on the Anthem, I don't think we'll ever do anything shorter than a week, although I suppose that's personal preference. As for being in a small cabin, we went there to change and sleep, not hang out. But you're right, whenever we get home, our house feels like a gigantic mansion!

It is not a problem, but 4 people living in a small cabin for 12 days is a long time.

There is not really that much to do. You can only relax so much.

Even all the ports are pretty much the same.

For me, after 7 days of Sun, Drinking, Food, Etc. it starts to get old, I get antsy to get back to my daily routine.

Anything over 7 days would have to be Europe.

When our kids were that age, we'd be camping in a tent for a couple of weeks and had no problems. A cruise ship cabin would have been utter luxury! Wow, hot and cold running water and a flush toilet!!! :D

Sounds more like the problem lies with you than with taking kids for 12 days! :)

Sounds more like the problem lies with you than with taking kids for 12 days! :)

Many people are on a more stricter diet, regiment at home and don't drink all day.

After a week of that, it is time to get back to real life.

We take about 4 trips a year(2 are cruises) and its not a big WOW for us anymore that I need to be on a ship as long a possible. It just is not that great.

We have a great house and enjoy being home more.

I was telling the OP that 12 days in a small room with kids might be too long.

Remember, that the OP was asking opinions, I was giving mine.....

Many people are on a more stricter diet, regiment at home and don't drink all day.

After a week of that, it is time to get back to real life.

We take about 4 trips a year(2 are cruises) and its not a big WOW for us anymore that I need to be on a ship as long a possible. It just is not that great.

We have a great house and enjoy being home more.

I was telling the OP that 12 days in a small room with kids might be too long.

Remember, that the OP was asking opinions, I was giving mine.....

So the reason we booked this length cruise is not because we felt the need to "be on a ship as long as possible"... It's because we have four children and this is one of the ways that we make it possible for the older ones to not have to "share" time. They get special time without the little ones. Maybe you didn't mean to, but you read an awful lot into the original post and your subsequent responses come off as snarky instead of helpful

We were on the Grandeur last year (no kids) and actually prefer it to some of the larger ships! I know our kids would have loved it at that age...... Especially since they have nothing to compare it with. Like any vacation, it's what you make of it! There will be plenty to do AND great opportunities for some special family time! I hope you have a wonderful cruise and make lots of sweet memories with your children!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

WOW 12 day cruise with kids. Are they home schooled? In my town 8 unexcused absences fails the semester. Oh, it must be partly over spring break then.

Woosh, now I'm better[emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Not speaking for the OP but where I live, there is not a restriction on missed school days for vacation. After 7 per semester it's reportable to the state but my town does not include planned family vacations into the days in which they recommend a follow up action and that's documented in our handbook that family vacations are Allowed.

My kids have missed 5-9 days more than once.

And - like you said - a 12 day cruise over school vacation week would be hardly an issue - that's only 3 days. We are not cruising for that long but we are leaving on a Thursday and returning on a Monday for our 1 week cruise and since the Friday is not a school day, our kids will only have 1 day absence even though we are out of town for 12.

I think a 12 day cruise would be great - I always struggle to balance relaxing vs port intense days. The sea days at the beginning and end would be a perfect compromise to that!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I thought they may be! [emoji6] What wonderful flexibility and opportunities homeschooling allows! Our children were homeschooled from K-12 (they're now 21 and 23)!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

That's awesome! It's amazing how educational vacation can be, too!

We have a 12-night Southern Caribbean cruise booked on Grandeur in March. Our two kids (7 & 9) will be sailing with us. We decided on this particular cruise because the Panama Canal itineraries we were originally looking at just didn't seem very kid friendly (the itineraries or the ships). We have sailed RCI many times before but this is our first time with kids. I read good reviews about the kids program, etc. Also, sailing out of Baltimore eliminates the huge added expense of airfare (I looked for months, didn't find anything really reasonable.) Anyway, we booked in January and my kids are over the moon. The problem is the more recent things I read about this ship, the more I feel like I've made a huge mistake in booking it. I got a look at a recent Compass from Grandeur and I feel like even we adults will be scrounging for something to do. We have great excursions planned for port days, but there are 6.5 sea days to fill and evidently not much to do at all. Please tell me I'm wrong!

FWIW, my kids have never been on a cruise before, so it's not like they'll be comparing the experience to the huge mega ships. And my husband and I have never been on the mega ships either. I just don't want the kiddos to be disappointed and I'm feeling more and more that they will be :/

We did a 9-nt Canada/NE cruise on Grandeur last year with our 12yo. She liked it, but she likes most things about cruising. She does the kids club but not all the time (depends on who is there I guess), but she enjoys the shows, going to dinner, some of the activities.

One thing though, a 12-nt cruise in early March probably won't have a lot of kids on it. Most are in school, and having to take 2 weeks off (or one week right along with spring break) isn't something many do. So don't be surprised if the kids clubs aren't as crowded as you expect (for good or bad)