At what age did you give your kids "free reign"?

LincolnLog

It's 1am per the cruiseline policy so Calm Down.

Or don't cruise on NCL. :cool:

You Calm Down...

As I said, there should be a curfew of 11:00 PM. Children under the age of 17 should not be free roaming the ship without parental supervision at such a late hour.

You Calm Down...

As I said, there should be a curfew of 11:00 PM. Children under the age of 17 should not be free roaming the ship without parental supervision at such a late hour.

Obviously, NCL and some parents feel differently. It's not up to you.

This makes sense to me as well. There is not a reason to be combative and the response showed a lack of respect because a lack of respect was indicated toward them

I am with you 100%.... a simple hi guys exsuse me so I can get through? No doubt in my mind they would realize they were blocking access and likely would apolgize for it. So simple.

No doubt in my mind, either. I can count on one hand the number of times I have encountered a rude teen, and still have fingers leftover. Rude adults - now that's a whole different issue!

Nednrom,

Kudos to you! Kids need to be supervised at all times. Parents need to parent. I've been on many cruises only to see nonsense with unsupervised kids...running and screaming in the hallways, pushing all of the elevator buttons, having food fights in the buffet, etc. These would be the same parents having a fit if something happened to their unsupervised children.

Nednrom,

Kudos to you! Kids need to be supervised at all times. Parents need to parent. I've been on many cruises only to see nonsense with unsupervised kids...running and screaming in the hallways, pushing all of the elevator buttons, having food fights in the buffet, etc. These would be the same parents having a fit if something happened to their unsupervised children.

True. Parents need to parent, but that also means teaching independence. Parents need to teach kids that they need to be good if they are being watched or not. If you never let the kids build this independence at a early age and slowly Increase it then when they turn 18 they may go to extremes with having all of the freedom and it is not until the police get involved do they learn.

Like I said before. A parent needs to judge when each kid is ready and then slowly introduce more and more freedom and when they do reach adulthood it is just second nature to be a good person. There is no magic age that a light switch turns on and the kid is ready to be a part of the world as an individual.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

The problem here is that the Op asked about FREE REIGN for his kids. There is a huge difference between FREE REIGN and allowing them to go specific places for a specific amount of time. Kids congregating in a manner that they obstruct the normal flow of passengers around the ship is frowned upon and to pass it off as "kids will be kids" and excusing bad behavior as "they are kids on vacation" only exacerbates the problem. Allowing your kids to have some time on their own is one thing, giving them FREE REIGN of the ship is quite another. No children should have FREE REIGN of a ship ever.

The kids need to say where they will be...aka...I am going to the arcade for a while an might go grab a ice cream at the buffet....so guess what. I may just walk to those two areas and see what he is up to. As he gets older he may roam a few other areas at a time, but it is not going to be hard if you are a good parent and know your kid. You will know that he is not going to be sitting in on a talk about retirement savings or some other things you know woul be boring to him. There is only so much area on a ship too. Just the fact of walking around you will bump into him as well if he i always on the move.