Millennium or Volendam for transpacific

boom_boom

Trying to decide between Millennium and HAL's Volebdam for Vancouver to Tokyo in September.

Know they are vastly different ships, but hope someone has been on both and can sort of compare an FV on Millennuim and Vista suite on Volendam.

Have sailed HAL many times, but only once on X(Century)

Big shows, elaborate entertainment aren't important. Want comfort, good food and the ability to find quiet nooks for downtime.

Appreciate any insight.:o:o

Trying to decide between Millennium and HAL's Volebdam for Vancouver to Tokyo in September.

Know they are vastly different ships, but hope someone has been on both and can sort of compare an FV on Millennuim and Vista suite on Volendam.

Have sailed HAL many times, but only once on X(Century)

Big shows, elaborate entertainment aren't important. Want comfort, good food and the ability to find quiet nooks for downtime.

Appreciate any insight.:o:o

I've cruised both ships and feel the experience, food, and environment of the Millennium are much better than that of the Volendam. Service will be different, but excellent on both ships. We just cruised the Westerdam this past December and felt the food in the MDR and Lido were good, but not great. Having said that, our experience in the Pinnacle Grill was the best ever, and we've dined in this alternative restaurant on ten different HAL cruises.

I'm not a cabin person, so inside, OV, balcony, mini-suite -- I don't really care as long as I am on the ship!

Both ships are older, but well maintained. Can't make a mistake with these two, but "dollar for dollar" I would always go with the Millennium.

Good luck and enjoy!

Kel:)

I've been on both. I loved Volendam, especially the dining room.

However...... when we were on her there were many problems with air conditioning. This was right after a refurbishment, and people were commenting that "why wasn't this ongoing problem fixed....it's been ongoing for years." I'd check the reviews. The problem wasn't just in the state rooms but in MDR too (one part was sweltering).

Just noticed your itinerary. Perhaps air conditioning would not be a concern in Sept.

I've been on both ships and prefer the Volendam. Vista suite is very nice and would take it over an M class veranda cabin. However if you can get a corner FV I would probably go for it, but only if you use your balcony in all weather conditions as I do. Part of the FV balcony is covered and generally protected against bad weather. Not as fussy on the other FV cabins, Just seem darker with not much natural light as balcony is long, narrow and mostly covered.

The last time we sailed on HAL was when the Eurodam was new. We have just gotten off Millennium and were booked in a suite. We booked with all 4 perks. Michael's Club was great. MC was staffed 7am- midnight. Lucy is the Concierge in MC. She was fantastic. Lucy book shore excursions for suite guest and small private 4 or 6 size shore excursions for suite guest, booked restaurant reservations. Between your butler and the Concierge they handle all the passport formalities. Even walking you through passport control on the ship when required. MC had afternoon tea from 3 to 4. Then at 5pm the had appetizers. You could get coffee drinks, wine, water, soft drinks, alcohol drinks of most types.

Luminae as the suite restaurant was also very nice and the staff and food was very good. Breakfast and dinner on port days. Breakfast, lunch and dinner on sea days. Another great thing about Luminae you can order off the MDR menu. We would order from both.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm looking at this Millenium crossing as well (Volendam sails too late for my needs as far as to getting to Asia goes, though I do prefer HAL and had a good sailing on the Zaandam (sister ship to Volendam(?) a few years ago). I did read the reviews posted after the ship repo'd to Asia last autumn and they're overwhelmingly and dismally negative. Complaints are the poor food (cold, poor quality, over or under cooked, limited choices) in the MDR, poor state of repair of the bathrooms, and poor/surly/slow service. Reviews on the TPAC and Alaska cruises prior seem to be mediocre and nowhere as negative. More recent reviews (January onward) seem to be better but the sample is small.

It'd appear Concierge and Aqua class pax weren't impressed either.

The current cost of the cruise for me is attractive, CAD 815 p.p. all-in for steerage + USD 195 mandatory tipping.