Civitavecchia to Rome

ascot2012

Not so easy now since they moved the free Port Shuttle drop-off point to further away from the station. If you can get to the port gate the station is quite near but now it drops quite a bit further away in Citi town. We haven't done this since the move but used to do it every time and it was about 9 euro return to Rome, You can get off at San Pietro for the vatican or Termini for the city centre. Maybe someone who has done this recently can comment how difficult or not it is now. P&O did do an 'on your own' train trip to Rome (San Pietro) but nowhere near as cheap as public transport.

Good Luck with it.

Not so easy now since they moved the free Port Shuttle drop-off point to further away from the station. If you can get to the port gate the station is quite near but now it drops quite a bit further away in Citi town. We haven't done this since the move but used to do it every time and it was about 9 euro return to Rome, You can get off at San Pietro for the vatican or Termini for the city centre. Maybe someone who has done this recently can comment how difficult or not it is now. P&O did do an 'on your own' train trip to Rome (San Pietro) but nowhere near as cheap as public transport.

Good Luck with it.

I am told that there should be a second shuttle from the drop off, a car park, to the station. The last time we were there it had not been running. The taxis would not take anyone short distances, they would only go to Rome. I felt sorry for the passengers off another ship who had to carry or roll their luggage to the station.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

The OP may not have been to Rome before (or not often), in which case they should certainly do the trip. However, there are alternatives to Rome when calling at Civitavecchia. We've been to Rome a number of times, and on our last two calls did other excursions. In 2013 we did the "Taste of Tuscania" excursion which featured a visit to the small town of (you guessed) Tuscania plus a visit to an agri-tourism location, the Casale Bonaparte, for a taste of some local produce. Then in 2015 we did the excursion "Wine Tasting & Marta" on which we drove to Montefiascone and visited the Cantina Leonardi wine merchants/cellars for a taste and then were driven to the town of Marta for a stroll along the shore of Lake Bolsena. We enjoyed both of these very much, and I believe they (or similar excursions) are still in the list.

I am told that there should be a second shuttle from the drop off, a car park, to the station. The last time we were there it had not been running. The taxis would not take anyone short distances, they would only go to Rome. I felt sorry for the passengers off another ship who had to carry or roll their luggage to the station.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

When we went last summer the ship's shuttle took us to the car park as noted and we had to wait (and pay a few euro) for a second shuttle to the station. It worked OK but I suggest an early start as it adds time to your journey into Rome. We felt pushed for time all day and wished we had started earlier.

Oh, and get off at San Pietro because the journey through to Termini adds another 20 minutes or so to the time getting there.

Rome is place where you need more than one day to explore properly.

Hi we are going to Rome (Civitavecchia) in April this year, has anybody got any up to date information on getting to Rome from the cruise port via the local railways.

Thanks in advance:)

Once you have got to the Civitavecchia railway station you can follow this...

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2014/05/15/one-way-to-do-rome/

14007646744_f5ef14fb8c_z.jpg

Frankly, if you don't have mobility issues it is now quicker to walk from ship to railway station.

.... However, there are alternatives to Rome when calling at Civitavecchia. We've been to Rome a number of times, and on our last two calls did other excursions. .

Another option is the Etruscan Necropolis at Cerveteri.

We did this from Britannia: Scroll down to Itinerary to read more...

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2015/03/30/britannia-the-maiden-cruise/

16748363597_5c56a24d51_z.jpg

If it is your first time to Rome it may pay to maximise your time there and maybe take a P&O tour. If you take the train you have to allow a safety cushion for getting back. You can always take a P&O 'on your own' tour if you prefer you own itinerary of seeing what you want to with the oportunity of maximising time and the security of getting back to the ship on time. I would not put anyone off going by train as we have done many times but maybe not ideal for the first time.