Trouble deciding Ketchikan!

FishersFrogs

So many good things to try - so little time. We're a family of 5 (2 adults, 3 kids ages 10, 10, 12) cruising in June. Everything is once in a lifetime for us, so we're really struggling. Snorkling was our top pick - but not sure we'll meet the 80lb weight minimum for one daughter. So we've "narrowed" it down to...

Fjords Floatplane - Top of Dad and one daughter's list. Only main con is that we have a helicopter trip in Juneau - so if the weather is bad they could both be scrapped??

Deadliest Catch - Second daughter's top pick

Ketchikan Kayak Co - Just looks cool

Would love to have a bit of time left over to explore town. If we could get to totems even better, but thinking that is not in the cards. We're only there from 6a - 1p :(

Thanks for any thoughts/suggestions!!

We really enjoyed the Misty Fjords floatplane. With a family of 5 you might fill up a plane. We didn't Kayak but saw folks doing it and it looked like fun. Short kayaking through the town, calm waters pretty easy and scenic. We had beautiful weather which is unusual. Plan on rain..... if that helps your decision some... Have fun...

Yes certainly both flights can be canceled.

Frankly, split up. You have people with specific interests and priorities, with a "once in a lifetime", claim- (sorry for being jaded, but that was my thinking as well, now it's over 50 trips later :) ). This isn't the place to compromise and pick only one tour. Your port time is short. You will have essentially one tour choice- each.

Decide what you are going to do, and book your tours. Come back to this board- with what you booked and times, and I'll suggest some add on totem options.

We'll be in Ketchikan from 7:00-4:00. Just booked the Deadliest Catch excursion and it runs for 3 hours(9:00-12:00). We booked it directly with the company as the cruise line price was $50 more per person. We're both "older" and empty nesters, but it looks like it would be an interesting trip learning about one of Alaska's biggest industries. I would think the kids would enjoy it....especially handling "the catch of the day"! We're hoping to get out to Totem Bight Park after that, then a walk around Creek Street and the dock area before re-boarding. I need to check on transportation out to the park yet and hope we can do it. May also consider taking the bus out to Saxman Village instead of Totem Bight. Still figuring it out.....

It's hard to decide in each port on what to do so you can capture as much as you can while you are there....so many choices and decisions to make!

We'll be in Ketchikan from 7:00-4:00. Just booked the Deadliest Catch excursion and it runs for 3 hours(9:00-12:00). We booked it directly with the company as the cruise line price was $50 more per person. We're both "older" and empty nesters, but it looks like it would be an interesting trip learning about one of Alaska's biggest industries. I would think the kids would enjoy it....especially handling "the catch of the day"! We're hoping to get out to Totem Bight Park after that, then a walk around Creek Street and the dock area before re-boarding. I need to check on transportation out to the park yet and hope we can do it. May also consider taking the bus out to Saxman Village instead of Totem Bight. Still figuring it out.....

It's hard to decide in each port on what to do so you can capture as much as you can while you are there....so many choices and decisions to make!

If you want to get to Totem Bight, I'd suggest being on the 12:25p city bus.

The day we did the Deadliest Catch trip a lot of other excursions were getting cancelled due to the rainy and windy weather. We, DW and 6yo DD, had a lot of fun on it. DW was pretty ambivalent to it but after the sights of the Bald Eagles she was very glad we went. We also lucked out and had Derek Ray as one of the deck hands, he was on Deadliest Catch as the captain of the Cornelia Marie I would def do this trip again.

Here are a couple of pics.

CIMG3080_zpsnfbpqtbk.jpg

CIMG3057_zpsnxktp5nk.jpg

If you want to see more check out my trip report in my signature.

If you want to get to Totem Bight, I'd suggest being on the 12:25p city bus.

Thank you! I was trying to figure out the bus schedule and see where we need to be to pick it up and where it will drop us off. I'm not sure if we'll have time to hit Creek Street/Married Mans trail and the other shops downtown if we go out there.

Still trying to figure it out.... :)

You can email Snorkel Alaska if your little one is close to but not quite 80lbs. He said there is an extra vest that helps children who are 70 lbs fit the wet suits. Our trip isn't here yet, but we plan on trying with our child who is currently 75 lbs.

Thank you! I was trying to figure out the bus schedule and see where we need to be to pick it up and where it will drop us off. I'm not sure if we'll have time to hit Creek Street/Married Mans trail and the other shops downtown if we go out there.

Still trying to figure it out.... :)

When you get off the boat, cross the street and walk to Dock and Front St. There is a bus stop sign near the corner. You want the Silver line bus. You can include the Married Man's trail which is on Creek St. easily. From Totem Bight take the 1:50/2:13p bus (may have to stand if you get on with the second stop). An hour is enough time for the short loop trail.

Thanks everyone!!!

The deadliest catch gets great reviews. One I read said all the catches are "staged" does anyone who has been on it know if that is true?

If you've been on a float plane - how long are you off the plane at the lake?

If you've done the canoe - is it very similar or different to the wilderness safari in Skagway (we're booked for that)

Awesome tip on snorkeling - that could solve all of our problems!!! 🤣 Will call today!

Thanks everyone!!!

The deadliest catch gets great reviews. One I read said all the catches are "staged" does anyone who has been on it know if that is true?

If you've been on a float plane - how long are you off the plane at the lake?

If you've done the canoe - is it very similar or different to the wilderness safari in Skagway (we're booked for that)

Awesome tip on snorkeling - that could solve all of our problems!!! 🤣 Will call today!

Yes it is a "theatrical" planned experience with Deadliest Catch.

Fly most every trip, IF you land, it is a short time, at most 20 minutes. There are numerous places where there can be landings. but landing at the fixed "dock" is common, due to permit limits for other landings.

What "canoe" trip? I've kayaked several times. What is significant is WHERE the tour goes. What "wilderness safari"???? Do you mean the tour out of Haines- Glacier Safari??? NO, comparison to there, any place in Ketchikan.

Thanks everyone!!!

The excursion shows different types of crab fishing with the live crab being "staged" in the traps. This is especially true for the Alaska King Crab that is not in season. Of course the various crab pots contain a variety of sea creatures that wander into them and the crew takes the time to describe every sea creature encountered.

You can email Snorkel Alaska if your little one is close to but not quite 80lbs. He said there is an extra vest that helps children who are 70 lbs fit the wet suits. Our trip isn't here yet, but we plan on trying with our child who is currently 75 lbs.

Thank you lundnak! He did agree to our daughter - so we're booked to snorkel!!

We should return at 1030a and our ship departs at 130p. What else could we do and not cut it too close. Are the totems an option?

Thanks everyone!!

Thank you lundnak! He did agree to our daughter - so we're booked to snorkel!!

We should return at 1030a and our ship departs at 130p. What else could we do and not cut it too close. Are the totems an option?

Thanks everyone!!

Yes you have time to see some totems. Once back downtown, walk to Creek Street. a few totems - at the Museum, Whale Park, Mission St entrance to Creek St.

take the funicular up to the Fox Lodge, walk out the back- several beautiful totems. you can turn right outside the lodge to the Married Man's trailhead. Walk down, and you'll be back to Creek St, then walk down any street- to your ship. You will see it ahead. Won't even take an hour so time for pauses.

Be prepared for the funicular not to be running, then consider walking up the MM's trail. It isn't long, but uphill. Can take your time. You'll see over 5 totems.

The excursion shows different types of crab fishing with the live crab being "staged" in the traps. This is especially true for the Alaska King Crab that is not in season. Of course the various crab pots contain a variety of sea creatures that wander into them and the crew takes the time to describe every sea creature encountered.

This past year they started keeping King Crab in a tank on board and pull a King Crab "tribute pot". They were going through so many King Crab, octopus will get in the traps and eat them, that they made the decision to keep them in a tank. 2 months into the season and they still had the original 12 they started with in the tank. I want to stay at that same point the previous year they had already lost 80 crab. The tribute pot has actual size fake King Crab they had made special for the excursion. For a donation you can write on a crab pot tag and they will attach it to the pot. At the end of the season the netting with the tags on them will be put on display at a museum in Oregon I believe they said and the monies raised will be donated to a charity that helps families who have lost family members at sea.

I knew it was staged before hand but still loved it. They also don't want to pull traps that are empty and disappoint those on the excursion.

CIMG3092_zpsrkt3igcq.jpg