New York Airport?

CRUZFOOLS

We are thinking about cruising on Norweagan Dawn out of New York and will be flying from New Orleans, LA. Which airport (s) do we price out? There are so many and I am not familiar as to how far they are from the pier. We would fly in the day before but I don't want to fly somewhere too far out.

Help!

I've been told LaGuardia is closest, and sometimes easiest, with Newark being the next easiest. I haven't been told by anyone that JFK is the best one to fly to, but if you got a good price, that could beat out convenience too.

Will the Norwegian Dawn cruise originate in the Manhattan cruise terminal or the new one in Red Hook (Brooklyn). It will make a big difference. If it is Brooklyn, don't even think about trying to get from Newark to Brooklyn. Fly into either JFK or LaGuardia. If it is Manhattan, the following is applicable.

Newark will involve about $75.00-100.00 transport charges for private vehicle from the airport to the cruise terminal. You can also take the bus or train, but not recommended if you have much in the way of luggage. You will still need to take a taxi from Penn Station to the cruise terminal. Super Shuttle also runs into Manhattan for about $22.00pp. I have never had good luck with Super Shuttle at EWR. Seems they are either late or we drive around the airport numerous times trying to fill up the van.

LaGuardia and JFK are not necessarily closer, but I find they are easier getting into Manhattan. Taxi fare from either airport is about $45.00 for private vehicle, with LaGuardia being slightly cheaper.

Actually from a pure traffic-flow perspective EWR is the easiest airport to get to from the West Side Piers since you don't have to go crosstown and once you get through the Lincoln Tunnel it's a quick shot up 8th Avenue to the piers. That said though, it will cost an arm and a leg if going via taxi.

LGA is easy, just gotta make it cross-town. If you're cabbie is smart, he'll cut crosstown at 96th Street and then down the West Side Highway to the piers. Sometimes its quick, other times its not. JFK would be my third choice just because of its distance.

To negate the transportation costs to/from the airports, there are many private car services (Carmel or Dial 7 are the two biggies) and they charge approx. $30 for LGA-Manhattan and $45 for either JFK/EWR to Manhattan (plus tip & tolls). They also typically offer specials. Check out their websites for details. I use them always for going to the airports and they are reliable. Both charge a flat rate so you don't have to worry about the meter running up a tab if you're stuck in traffic.

Jeff

To negate the transportation costs to/from the airports, there are many private car services (Carmel or Dial 7 are the two biggies) and they charge approx. $30 for LGA-Manhattan and $45 for either JFK/EWR to Manhattan (plus tip & tolls).
If you do end up flying to JFK, don't forget that the "proper" NYC cabs also charge a flat rate from JFK to any destination in Manhattan. $45 + tolls and tips, IIRC (though I haven't been to NYC for a couple of years now ... I can feel a trip coming on next spring).

Archived