Eagle or Palm beach + Transpoort to/from Cruise Port!

NewfieGuy1972

Hello Folks,

I'm sure this has been asked a dozen times or more, but since we will be leaving next week I wanted to get some fresh opinions.

1. My wife and I are trying to decide what to do in Aruba, since this is our first time there, we would like to simply relax on a perfect picturesque white sandy beach, we also love the ocean to cool off. A major bonus if the beach had a beach bar or 2 so we can sip a frozen cocktail or 2, in between enjoying the beach and ocean!

2. Next would be transportation to/from the beach. Would a taxi be the way to go? We really don't want to waste time waiting for a public bus, but if they were very frequent we would absolutely consider it.

Would love your valuable opinions on which beach would suit us best!

Thanks!

So lets first talk about Palm versus Eagle (a topic oft addressed here). Palm is in the so-called "high rise" area and is the more commercial of the two beaches. Since Palm has many large high rise hotels, and nearby shopping/eating....it is certainly the most popular (in terms of numbers) beach and can get crowded. But you can walk off the beach to a shopping area, find nearby cafes/restaurants, etc.

Eagle, on the other hand, is in the so-called low-rise area (no high rise hotels) and is the more laid-back quiet option. Eagle does have a small beach bar (with a good afternoon "happy hour) with some limited eating venues. Both beaches do have chair rentals. Getting to either beach is a similar situation, You can certainly grab a taxi, or simply walk across the street from the port and take a local bus. It is easy to get transportation back from either beach (just walk out to the road and there are buses, shared van taxis, taxis, etc. Eagle is located a little (about 1 mile) closer to the port...but both are actually along the same road and served by the same bus lines.

Hank

I was in Aruba 2 weeks ago and we got a cab to Moomba Beach Bar on Palm beach for $14 for the cab.

The bar is pretty and waitress was very friendly, got buckets of beer and lunch and the beach is pretty and we all enjoyed our day. Had the waitress call us a cab when we were ready to go back and $14 back to port.

I was in Aruba 2 weeks ago and we got a cab to Moomba Beach Bar on Palm beach for $14 for the cab.

The bar is pretty and waitress was very friendly, got buckets of beer and lunch and the beach is pretty and we all enjoyed our day. Had the waitress call us a cab when we were ready to go back and $14 back to port.

Did Moomba serve you on the beach or did you get seats in the restaurant for lunch? TIA.

I hear everyone talk about the happy hour on Eagle Beach in the afternoon. Is this the bar across the street from Amsterdam Resort? That is where we usually get off the bus but we never had 2 for 1 drinks at that bar?

Ive never been there....but the poster said the the beach bar was on Palm beach!

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

I hear everyone talk about the happy hour on Eagle Beach in the afternoon. Is this the bar across the street from Amsterdam Resort? That is where we usually get off the bus but we never had 2 for 1 drinks at that bar?

Moomba is on Palm Beach, near the Holiday Inn.

How much would be a taxi be for 4 adults and two kids to Eagle Beach? What is the cost of the public bus?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Yes I was wondering this too.... the taxi that was $14 would be for 4 people; not per person right.

• 2 weeks later...

Moomba will serve you right on the beach or you can grab a table. Prices were very reasonable and most everything was quite good, although I would not recommend the pizza. Drinks were a little weak, but you can easily pick up a bottle of your favorite beverage and top off any drink they make. Buckets of beer were $20 I think.

How much would be a taxi be for 4 adults and two kids to Eagle Beach? What is the cost of the public bus?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I am sure that the sign at the taxi rank in the port states that the maximum in a taxi is 5 people. There may be other taxis which can take more. When you exit the port on foot, there are minibuses which will take you to the beach. We went to Eagle beach and it cost $US 5 per person one way. We walked up to Palm beach and later caught the local bus back to town and I think that cost less than $US 5 for the two of us - my wife paid so I am not sure of the exact cost. We caught the number 10 bus (I think) and it terminated in town but very near the port entry. If we were to do it again, we would get the local bus there and back again. You can see where it is on Google Maps by searching for Orangestad Bus Terminal.

• 4 weeks later...

2B cruising - thanks for your photos of Eagle Beach. We went to Palm Beach last time, and Eagle looks much more our style. But, is it always so wavy there? Hopefully it was just a storm coming in? I want to relax in the water, and not fight for my life!

2B cruising - thanks for your photos of Eagle Beach. We went to Palm Beach last time, and Eagle looks much more our style. But, is it always so wavy there? Hopefully it was just a storm coming in? I want to relax in the water, and not fight for my life!

Some days are very calm, and others are moderate to big waves. When we stay there for two weeks each year, we get a lot of both days. You just never know. Palm Beach is much calmer, although I have seen it mildly stirred up when a storm is out at sea.

Beach bar on Eagle Beach is across the street from Amsterdam Manor. Taxis can refuse you if they believe your bathing suit is wet. Have a cover up/shorts to avoid any confusion.

"Taxis" are only allowed to carry up to 5 people. They can loose their license if caught with more than 5 people. If no taxis at the port, walk across the street and south about 2 blocks to the Renaissance Hotel and they have a cab line. Also a Starbucks in the Renaissance Mall to check e:mail.

Don't waste your time waiting going across the street from the cruise terminal to get a bus. Your time in port is valuable. If 2 couples go together, the cost is about the same. Not worth saving a few bucks.

• 2 weeks later...
We stayed on Eagle Beach last May and took the bus into town and I believe it was $5 each way.:cool:

Its actually $2.50 (US Dollars) one way from Palm or Eagle. $5 (US) would be the cost of a retour card (round trip). If you paid $5 per person...one-way....you were ripped off.

Hank