Muster Drills. Walk Down Stairs?

CruiseFuse

I have had friends who did not go to the Muster drills. They received a paper in their room with details of what to do in an emergency. I have missed a drill before out of our 12 cruises and my Husband went to the drill alone. Nothing was said and we were checked off the list. They call out your cabin number and you just raise your hand and say here. They have never checked in all of our cruises to see how many people are there for each room.

Teri

We're on spa deck. We are lazy. A friend of my husband said that we will have to get our life jackets from our room and then WALK down all the stairs to the bottom area of the ship. Is this true? Will there be waiters with drinks every 3 or 4 feet? Cabana boys? Anyone?

I always thought there should be someone along the way passing out some snacks and cold towels. You know like at a marathon. Maybe offering piggy back rides. It IS a LONG walk down those stairs:rolleyes: They have all those crew members just standing in the stairwells. Maybe they could do double duty.

We should add it to our comment cards!!

I'm so glad someone else feels the same;)

so did we determine whether there is a consequence??? Not that I wouldnt go anyway, but I am curious.:confused:

At a muster on RCI's Jewel of the Seas, we met in the theater and were comfortably seated while crew members took roll call. Where I sat, I could see most of the passengers. Two stand out in my memory. A portly woman refused to wear her life saver vest. She told the crew member she "would faint" and would NOT wear it. No one made her.

A man seated near me "fell asleep" without his vest. Every time a crew member came by he'd be sleeping soundly. No one wakened him. At the end of the muster, he sprang out of his seat and hurried away with vim and vigor.

So my response to your question is that nothing is done. You are not fined or sent to the ship's brig or any such thing. Oh, I almost forgot. The captain did announce that if you miss the muster, you will have to report for another one the next morning.

If you miss that one, I don't know. My supposition would be that the ship has the right to kick you off at the next port and they might if someone is so disrespectful and uncooperative of maritime law that they refuse to obey such law.

The captain did announce that if you miss the muster, you will have to report for another one the next morning.

If you miss that one, I don't know. My supposition would be that the ship has the right to kick you off at the next port and they might if someone is so disrespectful and uncooperative of maritime law that they refuse to obey such law.

DH and I have heard similar "rules". I think on our Glory cruise there were several cabins who did not show. Others in our group asked "why?" and "what happens now?" The folks running the drill said that those who did not attend would be contacted and required to attend a seperate drill the following morning. :rolleyes: So I do not think that it is easy to get out of it. Like others have said - it's only a few minutes and not a real big deal.

On the Destiny last year they held the "big" drill as we left San Juan and then because folks get off and on other ports they must have conducted smaller ones for the new passengers.

The muster lifeboat drill is a part of maritime law. Those who don't wish to be bothered should realize they are violating the law. I know the drills are uncomfortable, hot and boring, but if a real disaster did occur, knowing what to do and how to put on a life vest might be the difference between life and death in an emergency.

Some people such as the man who "slept" through the drill think they are being really cute or clever, but they are putting themselves and possibly others at risk with that behavior.

I always carry a tiny battery operated fan to use during the drill while crowded in with others like sardines while dressed in the uncomfortable jacket as i am extremely claustraphobic and its usually very hot and humid. I just keep the fan blowing in my face and close my eyes till the drill is done. Works well for me. People always look at me and say "wow that was a great idea to bring that fan"

Guess I'm weird, I like the muster drills!! :rolleyes:

On our recent cruise we were able to stay comfortably seated in the lounge that was our muster station.

But even if you have to go out on deck, and its hot, and boring, so what? Its a precious few minutes out of your cruise. No big deal.

Our muster station on the Sensation was outside on the Lido Deck. We went ten minutes early, found some chairs, and got the kids some ice cream which they finished up just as the drill began. We sat there for ten more minutes, then it was over. We have never waited for the signal to get to our station - we always go early, just seems much easier that way. If other people didn't feel the need to wait until ten minutes AFTER the signal to get to their stations, it would be over and done with much more quickly!

We've never had an issue with the Muster Drill (admittedly a bit confused on our first cruise). But as others have stated; when it's over, it's time to go. Let the fun begin. Also as suggested, if you don't want to have to deal with the stairs, grab your life vests and go down before hand.

I will admit........15 years ago, 1990 NCL "honeymoon" cruise. I went into my marriage as a "Jessica Simpson" hint- hint (pure as white). Therefore, hubby and I barely left our room and the muster drill included was no exception. I know I was young and didn't realize back then the importance of the drill. We've been on several cruises & hubby and I giggle when we have our orange vest b/c of the 1st one we missed.......thats my confession ;) ;)

I always carry a tiny battery operated fan to use during the drill while crowded in with others like sardines while dressed in the uncomfortable jacket as i am extremely claustraphobic and its usually very hot and humid. I just keep the fan blowing in my face and close my eyes till the drill is done. Works well for me. People always look at me and say "wow that was a great idea to bring that fan"

That little fan is a great idea. I think I'll get one. It would be great on hot tours, too. Thanks for the heads up.

I've seen and read enough stories about disasters at sea that I'd never take the muster drill lightly, particularly since if a problem occurred, there's a fair chance my kids and I would be separated at the time (if they were at Camp Carnival). It's uncomfortable, it's hot, the Type 1 life vests (aka horse collars) are awful - but it's necessary. My biggest complaint on Conquest was that the muster drill took place less than 1/2 hour before the first dinner seating, which was just too close - no way to make it to dinner on time.

Archived