Muster Drills. Walk Down Stairs?

CruiseFuse

We're on spa deck. We are lazy. A friend of my husband said that we will have to get our life jackets from our room and then WALK down all the stairs to the bottom area of the ship. Is this true? Will there be waiters with drinks every 3 or 4 feet? Cabana boys? Anyone?

Unless you have physical limitations, the expectation is that you will walk to your muster station with your life jackets. Now of course you can plan in advance and have your life vests and get yourself in the vicinity of your muster station ahead of time should you wish, bear in mind in the unlikely event of an emergency you would not have that luxury, ;)

As far as cocktail servive all cruise lines are very serious about the drill and do not allow any smoking or drinking during the drill.

The location for your muster station will be posted on the inside of your cabin door. There will be a floor plan and directions how to get there. Also once you leave your cabin, follow the signage throughout the ship showing a family unit in green bearing the letter of your muster station. It will be very self explanatory once you are on board and there are lots of crew with flourescents hats to assist you.

you will be wearing your life jacket--which will have your muster station printed on it. If you wind up in the wrong place someone will show you the way. If you do have a drink in your hand someone will kindly tell you to get rid of it. During the muster drill nothing on the ship is opened.

We're on spa deck. We are lazy. A friend of my husband said that we will have to get our life jackets from our room and then WALK down all the stairs to the bottom area of the ship. Is this true? Will there be waiters with drinks every 3 or 4 feet? Cabana boys? Anyone?

I think your leg is being pulled. The only way to get out at the bottom of the ship is if the ship rolls over and someone cuts a big hole. I saw this in a movie once.;)

Seriously, you will take your lifejackets to your muster station. You will be instructed on the correct wearing of the lifejackets and what to do in an emergency. All this is over in less that an hour.

lifeboat.jpg

You really can't miss the muster drill...and I don't mean that in the sense that "you have no choice"...(which actually that IS TRUE...you really don't)...but really I mean you can't miss it...because ALL 3,000 PEOPLE will be doing it...they blow the ship's horn, the crew comes out on every floor to direct you...they herd EVERYONE UP...and send you to where you are supposed to go...all you have to do...is grab your life jacket...and follow the crowd...you're like cattle...it only takes about 30 minutes start to finish...it goes by fast...but this is my least favorite of all activities on a cruise...because typically it is hot, and humid...(considering where most Ports ARE)....the life vests are big and bulky...and basically you stand around and sweat a lot. Muster drill for me...is typically followed by going back to my room and freshing up a bit! Then...on with the cruise!

The neat part about the muster drill is....it is the very last thing you do before setting sail...so when the muster drill starts...you can know that the ship is about to leave!!! Just be sure that as soon as its over....head back to your room, get rid of your life vest, and then head straight to the top of the ship...or wherever you want to be for the sail away....cause its that time!

Just suppose you are on one of the lower decks at the time of the drill and your room is on deck 8. Do you have to go to your room then return to the muster drill location?

Yes, unless you plan to wear your life jacket for the entire afternoon. I did see someone doing that. I guess it was some tradition for their family.

I think your leg is being pulled. The only way to get out at the bottom of the ship is if the ship rolls over and someone cuts a big hole. I saw this in a movie once.;)

Seriously, you will take your lifejackets to your muster station. You will be instructed on the correct wearing of the lifejackets and what to do in an emergency. All this is over in less that an hour.

lifeboat.jpg

On Destiny/Triumph/Conquest class ships the muster stations are located on deck 4, beneath the life boats. As the op's cabin is on dech 12 (spa deck) it is from this perspective that the reference "bottom of the ship" comes from.

Since I have a bad back, we always go a little early, so that we can take the elevator down & then, the crew has always been gracious enough to find me a place to sit during the drill. It really only takes about 15-20 minutes if everyone will cooperate & be there on time & pay attention. Of course, there are always those who come 10-15 minutes late! But it is really important if you have never been on a cruise before, so that you would know what to do in case of an emergency, God forbid!

Has anyone ever skipped the muster drill? If so what were the consequences if any?

They make you walk the plank...then the crew can practice the "man overboard" drill.

Actually, its more of a hassle to skip it than just go and get it over with. On some ships they take a roll call, other I guess you could hide in the closet of your cabin. If you are caught they wont fine you..but its a good idea to go just so you know what to do in the case of an emergency.

Has anyone ever skipped the muster drill? If so what were the consequences if any?

Where would you go? nothing is opened. the steward checks the cabins. It is only 15 minutes our of your cruise... go at the last minute after the alarm is set. the elevators will not be working so if you are up at the lido deck--its a far walk down.

On your life vest is your cabin number as you walk to your station someone will be at the door checking off as you pass. I dont think nothing will happen to you if you dont go.

As much as I don't like the muster drills...and sure there are ways of NOT DOING THEM...but to me...they are ALL PART OF THE CRUISING EXPERIENCE...so we always go...just try to make the best of it! Like I said earlier....the muster drill means...."this is it...get ready to go everyone!!!"

On our last cruise a lady fell going up the stairs after the muster drill and broke her arm.

She was still wearing her life vest around her neck but had unstrapped it so that she was comfortable wearing it loosely around her neck. Well unknown to her the safety tie straps were dragging on the floor and stairs behind her. The person going up the stairs behind her stepped on her dangling strap and pulled her backwards when she was in the process of stepping up to the next step. She fell backwards badly breaking her arm in the process.

So when the crew tells you to not drag your life vest straps on the deck behind you they are doing so for your own safety.

Wife is handicapped to a degree so we always go down a few minutes earlier in the elevator and just wait at our muster station for the drill to start.

Remember now no dragging of your life vest straps behind you as you walk to and from the muster drill. A broken arm or worst is not the best way to star a cruise.

so did we determine whether there is a consequence??? Not that I wouldnt go anyway, but I am curious.:confused:

Not really much they could do to a passenger for not going. The only consequence would be that in the event of an emergency the pax would be clueless.

Archived