Television connections

sengil

My DH will not leave the house overnight without his DVD player. He is concerned about the connections on the TV on the Summit, we will be on on March 26 to Hawaii. Does anybody who is familiar with these connections know what kind of cable plug-ins are on these sets?

Thanks,

Sengil:)

My DH will not leave the house overnight without his DVD player. He is concerned about the connections on the TV on the Summit, we will be on on March 26 to Hawaii. Does anybody who is familiar with these connections know what kind of cable plug-ins are on these sets?

Thanks,

Sengil:)

There are no RCA jacks on these televisions. If your hubbie's DVD player can handle S-Video out (these are European sets), you'll be OK, but that's not all that common.

If not, the trick is to use a VCR from the ship as an intermediary since it will have the RCA jacks you need for the DVD end and the S-Video out you need for the TV end.

If you have a cabin that already has a VCR, or can talk your cabin steward into obtaining one for you, you can then plug the DVD into the VCR's inputs, (they'll plug the VCR into the TV (S-Video), tune the VCR to AUX and tune the TV to the AUX and play your DVD's. This may be clearer:

DVD ->(RCA)-> VCR->(SVideo)-> Television

I have used the VCR player in our Summit, Infinity and Constellation cabins (twice, an FV cabin where they tend to have a VCR already set up) to review my digital camera pictures this way as well.

Last, I've seen some Composite (RCA) to S-Video converters out there for sale as well. Don't recall the price, though.

A few years ago I went on a trip with the kids and we stayed in a hotel that did not have any of the kids channels. No Nick, Not Disney, Not Cartoon, not even PBS Kids. So I thought this is OK, I'll just connect my DVD up to the TV. They did not even have an RCA input. So I ended up playing sorry with the kids for an hour. No big deal, but I would have liked to relax.

So last year my DD wanted a portable DVD player with built in screen for Christmas. It is the best thing since sliced bread. We can bring it in the car for long trips, and if there is no DVD player or TV available, well we can keep the kids enteretained for a while while DH and I relax, then we play sorry for an hour.

So you might look into a portable DVD player with the built in screen for your DH. They are great for airplanes and airports. DD and DS watched Shrek 2 with another little boy during our 2 hour delay last year at the Dallas Airport. The other Mom was pretty happy too.

Of course this is what your might already have and he just wants to hook it up to a bigger screen, in which case, I can't remember if they have an easy acess RCA connector on the the front or even on the back, So if this what you already have .......Never Mind.

• 1 month later...
There are no RCA jacks on these televisions. If your hubbie's DVD player can handle S-Video out (these are European sets), you'll be OK, but that's not all that common.

If not, the trick is to use a VCR from the ship as an intermediary since it will have the RCA jacks you need for the DVD end and the S-Video out you need for the TV end.

If you have a cabin that already has a VCR, or can talk your cabin steward into obtaining one for you, you can then plug the DVD into the VCR's inputs, (they'll plug the VCR into the TV (S-Video), tune the VCR to AUX and tune the TV to the AUX and play your DVD's. This may be clearer:

DVD ->(RCA)-> VCR->(SVideo)-> Television

I have used the VCR player in our Summit, Infinity and Constellation cabins (twice, an FV cabin where they tend to have a VCR already set up) to review my digital camera pictures this way as well.

Last, I've seen some Composite (RCA) to S-Video converters out there for sale as well. Don't recall the price, though.

I was on Millie and there wasn't any S-Video connection on the back of the TV

There will not be an S-Video connection on a VCR either unless it is a Super VHS VCR. Celebrity does not outfit the ships with these kind of decks. In our Infinity cabin, we had a Toshiba VCR (standard resolution VCR) with composite video connections on the front and back panels.

There will not be an S-Video connection on a VCR either unless it is a Super VHS VCR. Celebrity does not outfit the ships with these kind of decks. In our Infinity cabin, we had a Toshiba VCR (standard resolution VCR) with composite video connections on the front and back panels.
On Summit (2004), and Infinity (2003), our cabins were equipped with VCRs, and there were no RCA jacks (i.e., "RS-170" or "composite" inputs) on either the front or back of our Philips TV sets; the VCR's were in both cases connected to the rear of the TV via S-Video aux connections, not RS-170 or RF (Ch3/Ch4) connections. The only means I had for hooking up my still digital camera w/RS-170 out was to use the RCA inputs on the VCR and to set the TV to it's S-Video Aux input.

Evidently, your mileage can and will vary.

Or you could tell him to suck it up for the trip without his DVD player instead of coddling him like this. Tell him there are TV channels and pretty girls by the pool, and maybe, if you have to, that there's a topless deck he can scope out.

On Summit (2004), and Infinity (2003), our cabins were equipped with VCRs, and there were no RCA jacks (i.e., "RS-170" or "composite" inputs) on either the front or back of our Philips TV sets; the VCR's were in both cases connected to the rear of the TV via S-Video aux connections, not RS-170 or RF (Ch3/Ch4) connections. The only means I had for hooking up my still digital camera w/RS-170 out was to use the RCA inputs on the VCR and to set the TV to it's S-Video Aux input.

Evidently, your mileage can and will vary.

I hear you. Again I am just saying that you won't find/buy a VCR with S-Video out unless it is a high resolution deck such as S-VHS, ED-Beta, or Hi8 (DVD/VHS combo's notwithstanding).

We brought our little DVD player on Connie in November and used our RCA connectors. It took some playing but they did work. We were able to watch movies without the 12.00 charge that X charged. We had most of what they offered as well.

I'm baffled. Why would anyone front up several thousand dollars each for a cruise in order to sit in their cabins watching DVDs and/or cable television?
Surely can't answer that one, but since exactly the same issues come up for those trying to use the tube to review the photos that they've been taking on the cruise (if their camera has a video output), it's always worth a bit of discussion.

PLEASE, don't be so judgemental. The vacation is her husbands as well as hers. If he wants to watch DVD...great. Whatever. Cruising is exactly that..doing what you want to while at sea. I love it, but I will NEVER appologize for what I and my DH do, and no one should have to. As long as my DH cruises with me and doesn't "sleep elsewhere on the ship" I'm a happy sailor. Mary

I'm baffled. Why would anyone front up several thousand dollars each for a cruise in order to sit in their cabins watching DVDs and/or cable television?

Why would you feel the need to worry about what others do on THEIR vacations?

I asked the same question once:

And this was pretty much the reaction I got:

Why would you feel the need to worry about what others do on THEIR vacations?

So I don't ask that question anymore.

I purchased an item called a Roadstor after someone on CC recommended it (thank you thank you!!), basically it takes the digital pictures from your smart media, or compact flash or what have you and burns it directly to CD WITHOUT a computer. However it would be nice to hook it up to the TV and see the menus and be able to test it out that the pictures have transfered. Also it plays DVDs and if we have some downtime during our 14 night cruise we might watch something right before bed.

Can anyone say with some certainty if TVs on Summit have EITHER RCA OR the S video connections? The Roadstor comes with cables for each. We are taking the Roadstor cause it takes up less space AND if something would happen, I'm only out $300 instead of $2000 for my laptop.

Thanks for any info !!!

PS - We only have a standard verandah cabin :-)

for so many of you to know...

I asked the same question once:

And this was pretty much the reaction I got:

So I don't ask that question anymore.

We don't go to the shows, they're boring and if you've seen them a few times they can be painful. We don't gamble all that much either.

We do enjoy going back to our room and watching movies together since we rarely have time to go out to the movies at home.

The OP asked if there were connections in the staterooms. She didn't ask if anyone on CC had an opinion regarding her husbands desire to watch a few movies WHILE ON VACATION!

I thought the purpose of CC was to share information and improve everyones experience. Unless you are adding to the original discussion you should really save your judgemental rants for somewhere else!

Whew, that felt good.

I thought the purpose of CC was to share information and improve everyones experience.

I did not indicate a current position one way or the other. I 'used to' ask that question, and got this kind of response. However, taking note of what you are saying regarding the 'purpose' of cruise critic, isn't anyone's opinion valid, even if it is not in line with another person's opinion?

ps. in fairness to the OP, I must admit I have watched movies during a cruise.

isn't anyone's opinion valid, even if it is not in line with another person's opinion?

There was a question as to whether someone could connect their DVD player to the television sets. She didn't ask for an opinion either way. I don't understand why so many people post their OPINIONS in situtations where those opinions are not necessary. Is it too much to ask to have people STAY ON TOPIC?

If the OP had asked for opinions about bringing a DVD player I could see people posting their opinions, but that wasn't the case.

And now that I have fallen into the trap I am keeping things off topic as well. For that I apologize.

I purchased an item called a Roadstor after someone on CC recommended it (thank you thank you!!), basically it takes the digital pictures from your smart media, or compact flash or what have you and burns it directly to CD WITHOUT a computer. However it would be nice to hook it up to the TV and see the menus and be able to test it out that the pictures have transfered. Also it plays DVDs and if we have some downtime during our 14 night cruise we might watch something right before bed.

Can anyone say with some certainty if TVs on Summit have EITHER RCA OR the S video connections? The Roadstor comes with cables for each. We are taking the Roadstor cause it takes up less space AND if something would happen, I'm only out $300 instead of $2000 for my laptop.

Thanks for any info !!!

PS - We only have a standard verandah cabin :-)

Don't you just love your Roadstor? I took mine on Millie and burned CDs straight from our Memory Stick. The TVs in our CC cabin didn't have any jacks, so we couldn't watch DVDs or look at the pictures, and neither did our TV on Infinity. Don't know about Summit, sorry.

Amy

Sheesh! Ask a question and you get flamed! Hey, I'm not being judgemental -- you can do anything you want in the privacy of your cabin (assuming its not illegal or injurious to you and/or your partner's health) and it's fine by me. I just said I didn't understand (and still don't) why anyone would pay big bucks to go on a cruise and hole up in their cabin watching DVDs or playing video games. But, whatever rocks your socks -- it's your money.

Don't you just love your Roadstor? I took mine on Millie and burned CDs straight from our Memory Stick. The TVs in our CC cabin didn't have any jacks, so we couldn't watch DVDs or look at the pictures, and neither did our TV on Infinity. Don't know about Summit, sorry.

Amy

DARN...I am guessing I couldn't TEST the CDs in the internet cafe? Do they have CD drives in them??

Archived