Sony Alpha A5100

Boboanne1

To buy or not to buy?!?!?!?! I currently have a Sony Cyber-shot DSC-WX300 Digital Camera and am really torn if I should purchase the A5100. Me and my mom are going on a 14 day cruise in March on the Epic and I want to make sure I capture pictures of all of the gorgeous places!

So if you don't mind I would love to read any and all opinions on this???

Thanks in advance,

Christy

It's an excellent camera. It is basically the same camera as the A6000 but without a viewfinder, and without some of the manual controls Basically a Sony A6000 for point and shooters, who want to stick in manual mode, and prefer using the LCD anyway.

In terms of performance, image quality, speed, it will match or surpass any other dSLR that sells for under $800.

While I'd prefer the EVF of having the A6000.... Don't forget the A5100 has a touch screen which is lacking on the A6000. So you gain something and lose something.

"Lacking"? :)

I have literally never missed a touchscreen or thought, "if I only had a touchscreen...". I can imagine in some situations like pulling focus in video it could be useful but then, I don't really do video. Since the touchscreen can't be used to navigate menus or interact with an image in playback, its value seems marginal since moving the focus point for manual focusing is pretty easy with the 4-way rocker.

I imagine when the next generation of Alphas hit the market with touchscreens, I'll wonder what I ever did without one, but I'd take the viewfinder, custom buttons and 11 FPS over a touchscreen any day.

Dave

"Lacking"? :)

I have literally never missed a touchscreen or thought, "if I only had a touchscreen...". I can imagine in some situations like pulling focus in video it could be useful but then, I don't really do video. Since the touchscreen can't be used to navigate menus or interact with an image in playback, its value seems marginal since moving the focus point for manual focusing is pretty easy with the 4-way rocker.

I imagine when the next generation of Alphas hit the market with touchscreens, I'll wonder what I ever did without one, but I'd take the viewfinder, custom buttons and 11 FPS over a touchscreen any day.

Dave

I have no clue what you can or can't do on the a5100 touch screen. Just saying it's a benefit some people might like, maybe even more than an EVF..

As to, you've never thought to yourself, "if it only had a touchscreen.."

Back in your OVF days, did you ever think to yourself, "if it only have an EVF.."

But now that you're used to the EVF, do you really want to go back to OVF?

For me, moving the AF point on the A6300 can be tedious. Quite often, while moving the AF point, I accidentally click the middle of the wheel, accidentally go into menus, then have to click out and go back to moving the AF point.

When talking about hundreds of AF points over the entire frame, a well implemented touch screen can make it much much easier and faster to pick your AF point. If using face detect with a group of people, it can make is much easier and faster to pick the face you want.

And it certainly can make menu navigation simpler, if set up that way. (I know the A6500 is not set up that way, I have no clue about the A5100).

Point is.. I think if you got used to a good touch screen, I think you'd find it as valuable as an EVF, or in camera HDR, or face detect, or any other feature you never thought you would need.

Thanks everyone so far for the great info. I may get laughed at for this but what is drawing me to the 5100 is the 180 degree tilting screen not that I'm a big selfie girl but I like the added feature and the size. My current camera doesn't have a viewfinder so I don't think it's something that I would miss.

My big problem is I just don't know if I want to shell out the bucks for the new camera or if my DSC-WX300 would do the job.

Also if you think that the new camera is really the way to go. Could I take great scene pictures with just the kit lens it comes with or do you think I need the 55-210 lens also? I really like pictures from the boat of the islands, etc.

I guess I just need advice :D

Thanks everyone so far for the great info. I may get laughed at for this but what is drawing me to the 5100 is the 180 degree tilting screen not that I'm a big selfie girl but I like the added feature and the size. My current camera doesn't have a viewfinder so I don't think it's something that I would miss.

My big problem is I just don't know if I want to shell out the bucks for the new camera or if my DSC-WX300 would do the job.

Also if you think that the new camera is really the way to go. Could I take great scene pictures with just the kit lens it comes with or do you think I need the 55-210 lens also? I really like pictures from the boat of the islands, etc.

The camera will capture images you can't really get with your WX300, but it really depends on the quality you need. If you are only saving facebook sized web images, and you are happy with the quality of the WX300, then you may not need anything more.

The A5100 will give you faster performance, it will give you better low light capability, and that quality will become apparent if you look at larger sized images.

Whether you need the 55-210... Depends on the types of images you want. Many cruisers insist on having a telephoto lens on vacation. Personally, I almost never take telephoto vacation pictures, unless it is something like whale watching.

Look at it this way --- Effectively, the A5100 kit lens becomes 24-75mm.

The 55-210 is effective 82-325mm.

Your WX300 is 25-500mm.

So when using your WX300, are you mostly using the wide angle end... how often are you using the telephoto end of the lens? If you are using the telephoto end often, if you want to capture about the same range as your WX300, then you need the 55-210 or another telephoto lens.

I have been looking at the A5100 for since X'mas. The selfie screen is one of the best feature, and touch screen is very important for video. It is one of the best youtuber camera since you could see yourself and make quick adjustment to focus. Also if you hold both the A6000 and A5100 you will see there is a huge difference in weight and size. It doesn't look that way on paper but the difference is there when you actually hold them.

If you don't care about the touch screen, the A5000 is actually pretty good...and a lot cheaper. It was at $350 new earlier this year. The other camera you could look at is the RX100 III. According the forums, it takes better pictures than the A5100 with kit lens...does selfie.. and have a built in viewfinder. It is more expansive than both the A5100 and A6000 though.

The camera will capture images you can't really get with your WX300, but it really depends on the quality you need. If you are only saving facebook sized web images, and you are happy with the quality of the WX300, then you may not need anything more.

The A5100 will give you faster performance, it will give you better low light capability, and that quality will become apparent if you look at larger sized images.

Whether you need the 55-210... Depends on the types of images you want. Many cruisers insist on having a telephoto lens on vacation. Personally, I almost never take telephoto vacation pictures, unless it is something like whale watching.

Look at it this way --- Effectively, the A5100 kit lens becomes 24-75mm.

The 55-210 is effective 82-325mm.

Your WX300 is 25-500mm.

So when using your WX300, are you mostly using the wide angle end... how often are you using the telephoto end of the lens? If you are using the telephoto end often, if you want to capture about the same range as your WX300, then you need the 55-210 or another telephoto lens.

This is some great info! I've mainly used the wide angle end of my current camera at concerts and I did use it on my last cruise to take pics at some of the ports from the boat. I was looking at the pics from our last cruise the other day and while they are good everyone is right the quality could be better with the newer camera.

I have been looking at the A5100 for since X'mas. The selfie screen is one of the best feature, and touch screen is very important for video. It is one of the best youtuber camera since you could see yourself and make quick adjustment to focus. Also if you hold both the A6000 and A5100 you will see there is a huge difference in weight and size. It doesn't look that way on paper but the difference is there when you actually hold them.

If you don't care about the touch screen, the A5000 is actually pretty good...and a lot cheaper. It was at $350 new earlier this year. The other camera you could look at is the RX100 III. According the forums, it takes better pictures than the A5100 with kit lens...does selfie.. and have a built in viewfinder. It is more expansive than both the A5100 and A6000 though.

The size was definitely something I was thinking about. I have an old Cannon Rebel that while it was great I found that I rarely carried it because a point and shoot was so much easier to grab and carry. So I would love the slr quality with out the size of one. I've looked at the RX100 III but i'm really trying to stay at a reasonable price because we also were wanting to get the Olympus Tough camera for water adventures!

If selfies are a big deal, the 5100 would be the better choice. The A6000 has an articulated screen but it it's primarily to make high- and low-angle shots easier to compose and won't tilt forward.

Other that the functional differences, Havoc is right about the A5100 having the same sensor and the same potential image quality as the A6000.

Both are superb.

This is a gallery of our Pacific coast trip in 2015 shot almost exclusively with the A6000.

http://galleries.pptphoto.com/paccoast2015

Dave

If selfies are a big deal, the 5100 would be the better choice. The A6000 has an articulated screen but it it's primarily to make high- and low-angle shots easier to compose and won't tilt forward.

Other that the functional differences, Havoc is right about the A5100 having the same sensor and the same potential image quality as the A6000.

Both are superb.

This is a gallery of our Pacific coast trip in 2015 shot almost exclusively with the A6000.

http://galleries.pptphoto.com/paccoast2015

Dave

Wow! Gorgeous pics. I loved the last picture with the light house! Were those all shot with the A6000? Did you use a telephoto lens with any of the pics?

Wow! Gorgeous pics. I loved the last picture with the light house! Were those all shot with the A6000? Did you use a telephoto lens with any of the pics?

I hope you realized that the 9 photos displayed represented folders with, many more images inside. (My daughter brought this to my attention the other day. :o ) The shots were mostly taken with the 18-105mm Sony lens which I keep on the camera most of the time nowdays. I also used a Rokinon 12mm ultra-wide.

BTW, the "lighthouse" is actually the Oakland Bay Bridge with the setting sun lined up with it. ;)

Dave

So I've decided to take the plunge and get the camera!!! You all have been great in helping me decide what to do and all the great information!

If you don't mind I have a couple more questions. Last night when I was kinda researching it a little more I saw that you can buy an adapter so that you can use SLR lens with the Alpha cameras. Have any of you done this? If it worth it? Are the pictures any good with the adapter+lens? I have an old rebel and have the lens below so it peaked my interest.

Canon 50 mm lens

Canon 18-55 mm lens

Canon 75-300 mm lens

Again thanks in advance! I'm trying to learn as much as I can and y'all have been wonderful!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I bought the A5100 camera yesterday and it does seem like a great camera so far but I have well yet another question... The shutter sound when you take a picture?!?!? While I read a lot of people talked about it do you get used to the sound?!?!?

Christy

So I've decided to take the plunge and get the camera!!! You all have been great in helping me decide what to do and all the great information!

If you don't mind I have a couple more questions. Last night when I was kinda researching it a little more I saw that you can buy an adapter so that you can use SLR lens with the Alpha cameras. Have any of you done this? If it worth it? Are the pictures any good with the adapter+lens? I have an old rebel and have the lens below so it peaked my interest.

Canon 50 mm lens

Canon 18-55 mm lens

Canon 75-300 mm lens

Again thanks in advance! I'm trying to learn as much as I can and y'all have been wonderful!

Yes, you can buy an adapter. But with those lenses, on the A5100, the autofocus will be slow and limited, or even have to resort to manual focus. Not really worthwhile. The A6300 and above, allows for pretty fast autofocus with adapted lenses.

Yes, you can buy an adapter. But with those lenses, on the A5100, the autofocus will be slow and limited, or even have to resort to manual focus. Not really worthwhile. The A6300 and above, allows for pretty fast autofocus with adapted lenses.

Havoc315~ Once again thank you so much. You are and the other members here are so incredibly helpful!! I was curious if it would even be worth getting the adapter. I went ahead and got the bundle deal so it included the 55-210 lens. So I'm hoping that will keep me covered for a while!