Tipping Butler

goattyer65

But, if someone uses the excuse on NCL that they don't believe in the tipping culture and therefore don't tip, they really are wanting to pay less than what the product would cost in a non-tipping environment.

This line of thinking eventually leads to the "oh, the poor crew" mentality.

Ultimately, it's really not anybody else's problem to worry about what other passengers tip or don't tip.

Seems like many folks here (not directed at you DMH15) are on a personal mission to save the world... I don't think they will be successful. Tip or don't. Who cares?

When someone comes around these forums and asks "what do you tip the butler", why can't people just answer without injecting personal bias? Just answer the question.

What do I tip the butler? $10 pp pd. Concierge, usually $0, sometimes $50 (I don't use them).

I also tip ~$5 pppd for concierge and ~$10 pppd for the butler.

Am I the only one who just adds charges to the on board account and just leaves it at that? I know they get them and know from whom it came, as I have had concierges and butlers thank me on the last day (I go to guest services the night before)

That is just partly true. I have been to places in Asia where tipping is not the culture and the prices were much much lower than in most tipping countries.

I probably had a different butler than Mike had so I tipped him close to what here is the standard figure. Even though his service was pretty bland but still acceptable. The concierge on the other hand was imho a joke so I didn't even bother to see him the last day to give him a tip. I don't mind tipping and, as I expected much better service, I brought back home around $600 in cash. But what I am not doing is giving someone money for doing a below standard poor job just because I already calculated for it.

I hear you. If the service was truly bad someone has not earned their tip. Although in some cases it is clearly not the fault of the server in a restaurant when the kitchen is backed up or makes an error.

My first butler was not good at all. So, I get it. I actually reduced what I had planned to tip him significantly.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That is just partly true. I have been to places in Asia where tipping is not the culture and the prices were much much lower than in most tipping countries.

I probably had a different butler than Mike had so I tipped him close to what here is the standard figure. Even though his service was pretty bland but still acceptable. The concierge on the other hand was imho a joke so I didn't even bother to see him the last day to give him a tip. I don't mind tipping and, as I expected much better service, I brought back home around $600 in cash. But what I am not doing is giving someone money for doing a below standard poor job just because I already calculated for it.

I was not necessarily comparing similar food from one country to another. Food and labor costs vary in different locations.

I can see where it might have read like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums