taxis in Shanghai

imperialwizard

Hi, Does anyone who has visited Shanghai on a pre or post cruise visit,know this?

I am trying to check out the cost of a taxi from a hotel in the Bund area to Wusongkou International Cruise Terminal.

Also what the approx price of a taxi from airport to Bund area .The cab from hotel to port would probably be for 4 including luggage so may be a bit bigger.The airport one would just be for 2 of us.

Many thanks..even a rough price would be much appreciated.

Bund to airport - plan on abut $50 dollars.

Bund to Wusonghou - should be less than $50 - you may want to get a minivan due to the luggage you have.

You can order one from hotel. Taxi service is well organized in Shanghai.

If you are adventurous, you can download the local Uber version of the smart phone app, and use the local "Uber" service - it will be half price compared to taxi service.

Its 33 miles m/l from airport to the little International port. I got in at 1AM by myself, went to line up of taxii drivers. Only one spoke English. I asked to see vehicle which was minivan driven by local who hardly spoke English. He got lost driving around for an hour near port. Got in 3Am at cost of $80. Port is in sort of residential area, fits maybe 2 ships max.A very strange experience.

Understand that taxis in Shanghai will not charge you dollars. Not sure what sort of dollars the posters above are referring to (US, Can, Aus or HK?) but as you are from Scotland, it is really not useful.

A taxi from the airport to the Bund will cost about 150RMB (plus night surcharge between 23h and 5am). Between the Bund and the Wusongkou terminal, expect about 80RMV in daytime.

Charge can be a bit higher when traffic is bad. There is no tipping whatsoever of taxi drivers. Have you destination in writing in Chinese as drivers will not speak any English.

Also, you may not be able to fit 4 with luggage in a taxi.

Its 33 miles m/l from airport to the little International port. I got in at 1AM by myself, went to line up of taxii drivers. Only one spoke English. I asked to see vehicle which was minivan driven by local who hardly spoke English. He got lost driving around for an hour near port. Got in 3Am at cost of $80. Port is in sort of residential area, fits maybe 2 ships max.A very strange experience.

Why is it strange? Land in China, and the "locals" speak Chinese? Very strange indeed. You should always have the address of where you are going in the local language. Also, $80 seems like you were ripped off. It is always a good idea to be prepared, with pictures of address on your phone, or index card or paper with address written out. Also, it's very seldom a good idea to show up at a port at 3:00 am in the morning. Wouldn't it been better idea to hang out int he airport until daytime? You would have had access to food, restrooms, and maybe even a lounging area. Was the port even open?

Travel More,many thanks and appreciate you quoting the local currency.

We visit Turkey a lot and it always annoys me when the locals ask if you want cost in uk pounds or turkish lira.

When in the country I would expect to pay in the local currency and rarely give my own currency a thought,except to convert in my head!

Also,many thanks to everyone who took the time and effort to respond with their knowledge of prices.

Yes, be sure to have plenty of RMB local currency with you as well as the complete address written in Chinese.

I've traveled to Shanghai a few times on business. I always get my RMB from an ATM at the airport, and I print out my hotel address in Chinese. Most hotel websites have that option. When you get to the hotel, you can get a business card at the desk you can use with future cab drivers.

Always use the taxi rank/queue at the airport -don't go with a driver who "finds you" inside the airport:p

(FYI those taxi lines are staffed and will find you a larger vehicle if you have many people/bags)

• 2 weeks later...

I lived in Shanghai for three years and had no problem with taxis and would hail them from the streets. I would always have the address of where I was going in Mandarin (ask your hotel concierge or reception to write this out for you if you don't have it). Always use the taxi queue at the airport and do not use the lone taxi driver walking around asking for customers. I never had a problem with taxis, and I lived outside of the center of the city!