Weather on a Transatlantic from Miami to Copenhagen

Ramzister

I am hoping for a bit of heat and sunshine as we leave Miami - perhaps until day 4-5 IF we are lucky, and then its downhill all the way from there :p

Early May, Azores and northern Europe - bring yer woollies!

Copenhagen, Belgium and Holland I have been to even in early June let alone May, and there was an icy wind which would chill the bones of you. The bars and restaurants along the harbour in Copenhagen offer warm lap blankets and overhead heaters, as do the cafes etc in Brugges and Amsterdam.

Hopefully we will get dry clear skies, that would be nice.

But as we say - "Ne'er cast a cloot till May's oot!";)

I'm booked on this cruise leaving Miami on April 30th. I'm curious about weather I can expect during the 16 days. I've looked up history for the ports of call and I was hoping for info on the sea days. Thanks in advance.

I don't know where you are from, but am on the same TA (Getaway?) and did the same research. Also have done a similar TA to Rome, so same start, weather-wise. We have winter temps that are similar to projected ones in Europe but the first few days will be a bit warmer. Pool? Maybe. Spa, oh yeah! Packing light so lots of layering to adjust for weather changes. I remember the last crossing as warm but not hot once we left the coastline, with sunny weather almost every day. Have a great cruise!

We are on this one as well ..we did Miami to Barcelona 2 years ago in early April and we had warm weather the whole way ... a little rain in Ponta Del Gotta and that was it for bad weather ..yes we got lucky and we are preparing for cold weather just in case ...We are dealing with snow and rain in Vancouver today so our winter gear will not be put away !!!!

I don't know where you are from, but am on the same TA (Getaway?) and did the same research. Also have done a similar TA to Rome, so same start, weather-wise. We have winter temps that are similar to projected ones in Europe but the first few days will be a bit warmer. Pool? Maybe. Spa, oh yeah! Packing light so lots of layering to adjust for weather changes. I remember the last crossing as warm but not hot once we left the coastline, with sunny weather almost every day. Have a great cruise!

We are on this one as well ..we did Miami to Barcelona 2 years ago in early April and we had warm weather the whole way ... a little rain in Ponta Del Gotta and that was it for bad weather ..yes we got lucky and we are preparing for cold weather just in case ...We are dealing with snow and rain in Vancouver today so our winter gear will not be put away !!!!

Yay - That's what we need - positive predictions!

I have done probably 15 TA's. It's a wide range of possibilities, from the "smooth", to a really rockin and rolling ship. It may make people feel good, latching on to single past sailings. But, totally worthless with what you will encounter. :)

Outside after the couple days to/from Florida I'm in a sweatshirt walking on outside decks. It's never been "warm" in my experience.

I don't know where you are from, but am on the same TA (Getaway?) and did the same research. Also have done a similar TA to Rome, so same start, weather-wise. We have winter temps that are similar to projected ones in Europe but the first few days will be a bit warmer. Pool? Maybe. Spa, oh yeah!

Hi PeacefulOR,:)

I did the Tampa to Copenhagen TA last April and took the Spa pass thinking that the pool and hot tub would be great since using the outdoor ones would be too cold. The first day I went to use the Spa pass the pool was closed off as the water was splashing out because of the sea waves. The hot tub water was doing the same. I decided to change from using the spa area to using the balance of the fee I paid for a great massage. I paid only for 1 day of Spa usage.

So, what I'm saying is on a TA the Spa pass isn't so great. I have used it other times and loved it!

happytotravel:)

Edited by happytotravel
mispelling of name

I'm booked on this cruise leaving Miami on April 30th. I'm curious about weather I can expect during the 16 days. I've looked up history for the ports of call and I was hoping for info on the sea days. Thanks in advance.

The first few days will be fairly pleasant until you get to Ponta Delgada and turn north. Then you're going to need sweaters, sweatshirts, light jackets or both.

Hi PeacefulOR,:)

I did the Tampa to Copenhagen TA last April and took the Spa pass thinking that the pool and hot tub would be great since using the outdoor ones would be too cold. The first day I went to use the Spa pass the pool was closed off as the water was splashing out because of the sea waves. The hot tub water was doing the same. I decided to change from using the spa area to using the balance of the fee I paid for a great massage. I paid only for 1 day of Spa usage.

So, what I'm saying is on a TA the Spa pass isn't so great. I have used it other times and loved it!

happytotravel:)

Wait, you're saying that you gave up on the spa after only one day out of 16? I think I'll take my chances; it's SO good for my arthritis discomfort. Glad to know that cancelling like that is an option if weather stays rough!

You're doing the major cross-country too, I see, but we seem to be past snow. RAIN, sure. Was up there in early October on a Pacific coast cruise.....got tired of flying to Florida. Have a great trip and maybe we'll see you at the Meet & Greet. Rainey

I've done three TA's, two of them in the spring and one on a smaller ship than the Getaway from Miami to Copenhagen. The Atlantic was easy going in 2014 and 2016 and we were surprised by sunny days in the 70's in Dover, Helsingborg and Copenhagen. I think our experience was a bit unusual, but maybe not. The key is to go prepared, much like cruising to Alaska.

I don't think the Getaway is my ideal ship for the Baltics, though. We were thinking of going this spring, but decided to try a TP. I was on the Getaway in the Caribbean and that ship is very much "outdoorsy" making good weather essential for some features such as H2O. I was wondering how the Getaway was going to manage in Stockholm. Is it actually docking at the usual port or is it too large?

I've done three TA's, two of them in the spring and one on a smaller ship than the Getaway from Miami to Copenhagen. The Atlantic was easy going in 2014 and 2016 and we were surprised by sunny days in the 70's in Dover, Helsingborg and Copenhagen. I think our experience was a bit unusual, but maybe not. The key is to go prepared, much like cruising to Alaska.

I don't think the Getaway is my ideal ship for the Baltics, though. We were thinking of going this spring, but decided to try a TP. I was on the Getaway in the Caribbean and that ship is very much "outdoorsy" making good weather essential for some features such as H2O. I was wondering how the Getaway was going to manage in Stockholm. Is it actually docking at the usual port or is it too large?

We are sailing on the Getaway to the Baltics in July. It docks at the Frihamnen port which is about 25 minutes north of downtown Stockholm. Hopefully the weather at the end of July will be pleasant.

We have cruised the Baltics on the Star in May. It was chilly. I recommend layers. Have a water repellent top layer and a warmer under layer. I wore my coat every day of that cruise. It wasn't unpleasant, but definitely cool. We did have a lot of sun which made the trip lovely. As a previous cruiser noted, many of the outdoor restaurants have heaters and blankets. We ate outside for the majority of our meals.

As a side note, good shoes are a must. The cobblestones are brutal and there are a lot of pedestrian only streets at the Baltic ports.

I recommend layers. Have a water repellent top layer and a warmer under layer. I wore my coat every day of that cruise. It wasn't unpleasant, but definitely cool. We did have a lot of sun which made the trip lovely.

As a side note, good shoes are a must. The cobblestones are brutal and there are a lot of pedestrian only streets at the Baltic ports.

^^ THIS ^^

Dress in layers so you can peel off or add a light windbreaker if it gets warmer or cooler or a light rain. Underneath wear long sleeve t-shirts under a shirt and or sweater or sweatshirt. And good shoes with support are a must.

Tell your wife to check out the warm clothing section of Goodwill. You can buy some really nice jackets, sweaters and sweatshirts for $2 each. I've bought a lot of Tommy Bahama, Polo, Nautica and Tommy Hilfiger for $2 and then get 15% off that on Tuesdays because it is Senior Discount Day. You will have so little money in it you can donate it to a church in Copenhagen rather than pay luggage fees to drag it back to Florida upon your return.