Bags / Daypacks and Security at Major Sites

conquesodor

Can anyone share recent firsthand experience on entering the Colosseum, Herculaneum, Pompeii, etc., and what sorts of handbags, daypacks, etc., are being allowed or disallowed entry?

I've read elsewhere that security has been heightened and things that were previously allowed are being denied. At the same time, there are no facilities to check bags either and there is some confusion on what is too big.

My plan has been to wear a standard sized "daypack" to carry my camera and personal items, but now I'm concerned this won't be allowed. (Lowepro Hatchback BP 150 to be specific) My backup plan would be a smaller camera bag that has a single strap that is worn diagonally across your body, similar to a woman's purse.

You may not want to hear this, but security standards are always changing...sometimes by the day! So a bag that might be acceptable yesterday, might need to be checked today. This drives DW nutz...when we are in Europe. Just take what you need, hope for the best, and be prepared to check your bag at some sites.

Hank

For example, here's the text from a tour I just booked for the Colosseum, one of the most popular destinations in the world:

"Please note that large bags, backpacks, and luggage cannot be brought into the Colosseum, Roman Forum, or Palatine Hill. There is no coat check or space on-site to leave your belongings therefore we encourage you to leave such items at your hotel."

So there's no place to check your bag, if it's "too large."

1 - what's "too large?"

2 - and I guess by "backpack" they mean anything worn on the back, including smaller daypacks, and not just larger "backpacks" that you take camping or for "backpacking across Europe."

I would go with the smaller bag if you can. About a year ago there were some official guidelines on size of bags allowed, and I believe it was 12 x 12 x 6 inches. I wear a crossbody bag that's not small, but does meet those guidelines. I find that a crossbody bag is much less likely to be noticed/challenged. Only a very few museums have told me that I need to check it. In addition, at these ancient sites that are so crowded with people, a backpack/daypack could cause inadvertent damage to ancient structures if you are not careful about allowing space for it.

As Hank says, the rules are fluid depending on whether there is some recent scare or attempt in the news. But I think you'd be fine with the smaller bag.

Thanks Hank and Cruisemom42 for your feedback. I guess I will need to bring both bags with me on my trip. A bit of a hassle but not the end of the world to be prepared. I prefer the backpack for normal days walking around sightseeing, but if I know I'm going somewhere with a security screening, I'll have to use the smaller bag and leave the daypack in my hotel/cabin.

I was at the Smithsonian a few years back and I was told by security there that I couldn't wear my backpack in the museum, but I was allowed to carry it by the handle at my side. Their reason being that they didn't want anyone inadvertently whacking a piece of artwork with a bag on their back. I wouldn't think that's as much of an issue at the Colosseum or Pompeii, but with the sizes of the crowds, perhaps they no longer want to be bothered inspecting that many bags.

I was at the Smithsonian a few years back and I was told by security there that I couldn't wear my backpack in the museum, but I was allowed to carry it by the handle at my side. Their reason being that they didn't want anyone inadvertently whacking a piece of artwork with a bag on their back. I wouldn't think that's as much of an issue at the Colosseum or Pompeii, but with the sizes of the crowds, perhaps they no longer want to be bothered inspecting that many bags.

It actually is a problem at sites like Pompeii and the Colosseum. At Pompeii for instance, many of the walls inside the houses you can visit have been painstakingly restored from fragments into a semblance of their original style. When you have the chance, as I have, to see them literally working with tiny paintbrushes and Q-tips to restore them, you realize how easily they are damaged by even the simplest brush or bang by the unthinking tourists. Same holds true even with the Colosseum. Two-thousand year old building materials are not that sturdy though they may appear so....

I would go with the smaller bag if you can. About a year ago there were some official guidelines on size of bags allowed, and I believe it was 12 x 12 x 6 inches. I wear a crossbody bag that's not small, but does meet those guidelines. I find that a crossbody bag is much less likely to be noticed/challenged. Only a very few museums have told me that I need to check it. In addition, at these ancient sites that are so crowded with people, a backpack/daypack could cause inadvertent damage to ancient structures if you are not careful about allowing space for it.

As Hank says, the rules are fluid depending on whether there is some recent scare or attempt in the news. But I think you'd be fine with the smaller bag.

We have booked a Colosseum tour with LivItaly. Our confirmation states the largest size bag we can carry is the 12X12X6 that you mentioned above. To be on the safe side, my husband and I will both be carrying cross body bags that are slightly smaller than the allowable dimensions. I agree that cross body bags are less conspicuous and less likely to draw attention than a daypack.

Sent from my iPad using Forums