Should I keep my IA?

kcmom

Okay, I'm a little nervous about posting this, but here it goes. We are booked for spring break (I'm a single parent taking three teens) on the Inspiration.

We have previously cruised on Mariner of the Seas, but had to be budget conscious if we wanted to sail again this soon. My oldest son is taking a friend from school.

I know that Carnival is considered "less formal" than other cruise lines, but I still would like to be comfortable. Here's the question: I am on the Upper Deck - inside cabins - IA. Yes, you read it correctly, IA. When I booked it, I asked for an inside cabin that would be quiet late at night. I really do like to sleep. I also wanted cheap. What does everyone think? Should I upgrade? I don't need fancy, just comfortable. I prefer to spend money on shore excursions (already have three private ones booked) and souveniers.

I would'nt be concerned about the cabin.

I'd be more concerned with my sons friend. I assume you are getting all the documentation together for taking another persons child out of the country.

With the rising concerns of international kidnapping and such, it is possible that certain entities could get involved that would prevent you from taking him without the proper documentation.

Okay, I'm a little nervous about posting this, but here it goes. We are booked for spring break (I'm a single parent taking three teens) on the Inspiration.

We have previously cruised on Mariner of the Seas, but had to be budget conscious if we wanted to sail again this soon. My oldest son is taking a friend from school.

I know that Carnival is considered "less formal" than other cruise lines, but I still would like to be comfortable. Here's the question: I am on the Upper Deck - inside cabins - IA. Yes, you read it correctly, IA. When I booked it, I asked for an inside cabin that would be quiet late at night. I really do like to sleep. I also wanted cheap. What does everyone think? Should I upgrade? I don't need fancy, just comfortable. I prefer to spend money on shore excursions (already have three private ones booked) and souveniers.

We had an inside cabin midship on the Riviera (bottom) deck of the Conquest with 3 people(we wanted cheap too:D ). Almost all of the cabins are the same size anyway so unless you want to spend a lot more you won't really gain any space.

We loved our location just a couple of cabins down from the main elevators and very quiet. I only heard people in the hallway one time during our entire cruise. We also had high seas and we were very comfortable in our cabin when other parts of the ship were moving a bit more. :)

Keep in mind that to get ready for dinner, etc. you can make use of the showers in the spa area and everyone can get dressed quicker.

I would'nt be concerned about the cabin.

I'd be more concerned with my sons friend. I assume you are getting all the documentation together for taking another persons child out of the country.

With the rising concerns of international kidnapping and such, it is possible that certain entities could get involved that would prevent you from taking him without the proper documentation.

Not to pick a nit, but this was really kind of a rude observation. I'm sure it's a matter of semantics, but the words "Taking him on vacation" and "inviting him on vacation" can pack quite a whallop when taken out of context.

I'm sorry to hijack the thread, but I think that's just really rude to suggest that the OP is either "taking" this child/teen without the parents' permission, or doesn't have enough common sense to cover the head of a pin by being aware of how to appropriately invite a child's friend to accompany them on vacation.

Not to pick a nit, but this was really kind of a rude observation. I'm sure it's a matter of semantics, but the words "Taking him on vacation" and "inviting him on vacation" can pack quite a whallop when taken out of context.

I'm sorry to hijack the thread, but I think that's just really rude to suggest that the OP is either "taking" this child/teen without the parents' permission, or doesn't have enough common sense to cover the head of a pin by being aware of how to appropriately invite a child's friend to accompany them on vacation.

You read that post one way, I read it another. It was just an observation - a valid point - nothing more. :rolleyes: Just another thing to add to his To Do List, if he hasn't already. I don't see anything wrong with it at all.

At any rate, OP, have a wonderful cruise. I think you & the teens will be fine. Hope you get as much rest as you want. And, like another poster mentioned, don't forget about the showers in the spa area. They are wonderful! :D

Happy sailing,

T.

Okay, I feel better. We have TWO inside cabins. They are the ones with "bunk-bed" type arrangement. I told you - cheap. They are side by side, as required by Carnival. (I would have demanded that anyway.) My younger son and I will be in one and the two older teens will be in the other.

The Carnival representative has filled me in on the necessary documentation for my son's friend. I appreciate the message in the spirit that it was given. :) He doesn't have a passport, which concerned me, but the Carnival representative has assured me that it will not be necessary until NEXT December. He will however, have to have several other documents to assure the officials that it is okay for him to be traveling with me.

We're just happy to be going on a cruise again. We missed 2 ports when we sailed on the Mariner due to Hurricane Emily. We hope to see them this time!

Okay, I feel better. We have TWO inside cabins. They are the ones with "bunk-bed" type arrangement. I told you - cheap. They are side by side, as required by Carnival. (I would have demanded that anyway.) My younger son and I will be in one and the two older teens will be in the other.

The Carnival representative has filled me in on the necessary documentation for my son's friend. I appreciate the message in the spirit that it was given. :) He doesn't have a passport, which concerned me, but the Carnival representative has assured me that it will not be necessary until NEXT December. He will however, have to have several other documents to assure the officials that it is okay for him to be traveling with me.

We're just happy to be going on a cruise again. We missed 2 ports when we sailed on the Mariner due to Hurricane Emily. We hope to see them this time!

We did this once take our teens friends with us. I think your rooms are fine. The kids were rarely in their rooms to warrant paying a higher price. All they did was sleep and shower there. We were lucky to see them at dinner. They want to be out and about and seeing and doing activities, not stuck in their room.

Have a wonderful time.:)

You read that post one way, I read it another. It was just an observation - a valid point - nothing more. :rolleyes: Just another thing to add to his To Do List, if he hasn't already. I don't see anything wrong with it at all.

At any rate, OP, have a wonderful cruise. I think you & the teens will be fine. Hope you get as much rest as you want. And, like another poster mentioned, don't forget about the showers in the spa area. They are wonderful! :D

Happy sailing,

T.

Thanks T for giving me a little perspective -- I guess sometimes it's just easy to read something into the post. It's interesting that you and I saw it two different ways, but in re-reading I can also see it how you did. Thank you for the minor reality check! ;)

Happy sailing,

T.

Thanks for covering my back Sxy.

You understood my intent exactly. I wasn't trying to make any accusations in any way. I was just trying to help a fellow cruiser avoid any unpleasant situation that can and probably does occuer from time to time.

Alot of people take their kid's friends on vacation with them to include myself. However, when the vacation crosses international borders, there are additional things to consider.

I was just trying to share that information.

We had a friends' child with us on the Miracle and at one port, can't remember which or what started it, but she was taken aside and questioned briefly as to whether she was being forced by us in any way. It was a little scary for her but she assured them she was traveling with us and all was well. We had her passport with us, as we were told was best at all ports. I for one am glad care is taken in these matters.

hmm, the inspiration has 1A's but they are not beds side by side. Your agent is very wrong about that. These are two beds--one being an upper bed.

the thing with the blackhandle is a bed

http://community.webshots.com/photo/56522817/85126966txvrhe

the newer ships like the spirt and Conquest have the side by side beds.

Thanks for covering my back Sxy.

You understood my intent exactly. I wasn't trying to make any accusations in any way. I was just trying to help a fellow cruiser avoid any unpleasant situation that can and probably does occuer from time to time.

Alot of people take their kid's friends on vacation with them to include myself. However, when the vacation crosses international borders, there are additional things to consider.

I was just trying to share that information.

**hides**

I'm truly sorry for mis-reading the tone of your post.

:D --i kinda got that when I went back and looked...and it wont let me edit. (sheesh)

I do have a question- how did Carnival allow you to book these rooms with only one adult.? Does that rule (one adult with all kids under 21) only apply to the newer ships?

:D --i kinda got that when I went back and looked...and it wont let me edit. (sheesh)

I do have a question- how did Carnival allow you to book these rooms with only one adult.? Does that rule (one adult with all kids under 21) only apply to the newer ships?

We've booked the teens in a separate cabin with the PVP's blessing. They were all mine though. I guess since the cabins are next to each other, it helps.

ON PAPER, my two sons are in the cabin next door, and the friend is booked with me. The representative said that it had to be that way in order to book the cabins, but that once we got on the ship, obviously the two older teens will share a room and my younger son will be with me.

It was a little strange to me - to book a 17 year old that is NOT my relative in with me (just on paper), but I did what I was told. I hope all will be well. I am a single parent, having lost my husband to cancer, so I don't have another going with me.

I enjoy being placed at VERY large dining tables in the dining room so that I can enjoy some conversation! Anyway, I'm keeping my IA's. It will be an experience, that's for sure! I did notice that the price has dropped, so I'm going to call and ask if they will reduce my prices for my cabins. :)

KC, that is the way it must be done when you are traveling with minor kids. We are always able to book our kids in their own cabin, but when we take their friends, if they are under 21, we have to book them in a cabin with an adult. We just switch when we get onboard. No problem.

The 2 cabins will be great! I have long learned that you spend little time in your cabin so why pay more. I generally book a low cost guarantee and if I get an upgrade great if not oh well~ I'm not in there anyway much.

I am a single mom as well and we will be going on our 5th cruise in April. From our 2nd cruise on my dd has always taken a friend along (ages 15-17). I have always had the birth certificate, picture ID & nototrized statement of the other childs parent. Other than the picture ID & birth certificate nothing has ever been looked at or questioned. Would I go without the letter? No Way, but it is not difficult to travel with children that aren't yours.

Relax and enjoy yourself~ I'm counting the days til April...

Archived