Return from Malaga

I'm booked on a cruise on the Discovery2 from Malaga this summer. However there is a tale that in Malaga, on the your return trip from the ship to the airport, Spanish customs X-ray your luggage looking for duty-free booze, tobacco etc.

What happens if you have booze that was bought duty paid eg at Porto? Do you have to prove it, or does that cause so much trouble that it is not worth it.

Previously it has been our custom to buy some local drinks for our (adult) children as presents as tokens of the trip; but we could do without any hassle on the return trip which is stressful enough as it is.

Thanks in advance.

My sister was on Spirit last summer and they were warned in the cruise news that customs at Malaga port were checking luggage for duty free goods over the limit but this was because they had stopped off in Gibraltar Does this apply to you? I.e. Are you stopping off in Gib? This should not apply to duty paid goods bought within the EU.

We are on the Dream TA in April and fly back from Malaga but do not call into Gibraltar so are hoping this XRay in the port does not apply to us

Thomson Spirit Oct 2005 Repo Palma to Sharm el Sheikh

Thomson Celebration Jan 2007 Red Sea Magic

Ocean Village Feb 2008 Western Caribbean & Central America

Ocean Village Aug 2008 Eastern Med

Ocean Village 2 Feb 2009 Eastern Caribbean

Ocean Village Mar 2010 Eastern Caribbean

Thomson Dream Feb 2011 Eastern Caribbean & Cuba

Thomson Celebration Aug 2011 Eastern Med

Thomson Celebration Apr 2012 Red Sea Magic

Thomson Celebration Apr/May 2012 Repo Sharm el Sheikh to Marmaris

Thomson Dream Feb 2013 Eastern Caribbean

Thomson Majesty Nov/Dec 2014 Colourful Coasts Canaries

Thomson Dream Jan/Feb 2015 Western Caribbean Panama & Cuba

Thomson Dream Apr 2015 Transatlantic Sunset

Thomson Majesty June 2015 Hellenic Classics

Thomson Celebration Sept 2015 Adriatic Affair

Thomson Dream Jan 2016 Mayan Treasures/Cuban Revolution

Thomson Dream April 2016 Atlantic Adventure

Thomson Dream June 2016 Iconic Islands/Adriatic Explorer

Thomson Celebration Jan 2017 Cities of Gold

Thomson Dream April2017 Atlantic Daydream

Thomson Majesty Sept2017 Med Medley/Treasures of Med

We too had the warning in Cruise News when on Spirit last year as our itinerary included Gibraltar. I am not sure if having some Duty Free purchases invalidates the right to also bring in Duty Paid - therefore, to be on the safe side, I would suggest that you just buy in your EU ports ensuring that you have receipts as proof of purchase and avoid buying any bottles in Gibraltar.

When disembarking in Malaga we just walked through the port with our bottles purchased in Porto in our hand luggage and were not stopped or Xrayed BUT we were not boarding a coach to go on to the airport when checks may be more stringent.

We sail from Malaga again in May (our local cruise port) and will be in Gib again as the final stop of our second week so I will make more enquiries then and post any further information on here.

You should have no problems at all Vitalsign as your itinerary does not include Gibraltar.

Edited by campolady

Have just checked the Cruise News from another Malaga sailing we did and this had no warning about checks. However, on that cruise Gibraltar was our first port of call not the last.

So I am now wondering if, sailing immediately from a non-EU port like Gib into Malaga changes the regulations and negates the earlier EU port allowances making you only entitled to the restricted Duty Free allowances similar to doing a day trip from Spain to Gib.

I would hate to cause you problems from inaccurate information terry2 so, as I said earlier, I will double check in May.

We too had the warning in Cruise News when on Spirit last year as our itinerary included Gibraltar. I am not sure if having some Duty Free purchases invalidates the right to also bring in Duty Paid - therefore, to be on the safe side, I would suggest that you just buy in your EU ports ensuring that you have receipts as proof of purchase and avoid buying any bottles in Gibraltar.

Thanks, Our trip does include Gibraltar, as the last stop before Malaga.