Filters, esp Circular Polarizer

Victress2007

I'm heading out to Hawaii in a couple weeks (yay!). I need one more CP filter. I have a Moose's for the 49mm lenses, an off brand set for the 72mm lens (24-240) and now I need one for the 62mm wide angle prime lens I have.

The question is how much difference is there in them really? I've read about the preference for really good filters on an expensive lens, but I also saw the totally crushed lens that took reasonable pictures. So, the most I'd probably spend is $50 on a filter, but do I really get that much of an advantage? Is there a good set out there? I can find inexpensive sets or expensive singles.

Thanks!

Vic

I have a cheap polarizer I bought for the 72mm lenses and I now own a Moose in 72mm. Do I need to elaborate?

Ok, I will.

I also have one in 67 for the Rokinon 12mm. The inexpensive filter was clear enough, but I found the warmth of the Moose just does color better. I feel they hit the sweet spot for me as far a price vs. performance. It's like most equipment, the Moose is 98% as good as the $200 filter but whether that last 2% is really needed or worth it is up to each person.

My 2¢...

Dave

I buy filters to fit my largest lens and then step-down rings to fit my other lenses. Being a bit of a twit about putting a cheap filter on a good lens, this allows me to have good filters, not waste a bunch of money, and have less to pack and carry...

I buy filters to fit my largest lens and then step-down rings to fit my other lenses. Being a bit of a twit about putting a cheap filter on a good lens, this allows me to have good filters, not waste a bunch of money, and have less to pack and carry...

Ditto

Buy used in perfect condition to save big.

I'm not worrying about WB in the camera unless I'm using film. Any WB changes are added in post. For CP I using it for reflections or haze only when it is needed and helps. If I might need performance IE. Bird in flight, it's off the lens.

One last thought A CP can cause major vignette, corner darkening, with wide angle lenses. It can be used to create special effects but I normally never use a CP on a wide angle lens.

framer

... but I normally never use a CP on a wide angle lens.

framer

I have found that uneven skies are a problem with a polarizer but I still use them on wide angle when the primary subject is water or foliage, especially wet foliage. The polarizer's ability to cut glare really enhances the colors.

Dave

I buy filters to fit my largest lens and then step-down rings to fit my other lenses.

I did this right up to the time when I started using the 18-105 most of the time and the two bodies I was carrying had the biggest filter size on one and the stepped-down lens on the other.

I'm not above spending a few dollars purely for convenience! :)

Dave

Thanks all! You are the best! Now I have to practice a bit to figure out how to properly use these. It's a challenge to find sun, but not water, here in the Pacific NW.

I'm going on a photo tour in Kauai and one of the lenses they offer for rent is a wide angle, which is what made me realize I should probably have one for that lens. Now I know what to look out for with that.

Vic