Info About 5-7 day Train Excursions from Anchorage North - Anyone Done This?

Leslaf

Hello Everyone,

I have a cruise booked in August and are traveling from Seward to Vancouver.

We want to come about a week prior to the cruise and do some exploring.

We really want to do a 5-7 day train trip from Anchorage perhaps up to Fairbanks. Denali National Park is a must (and probably 2 days there would be best).

I think that Alaska Railroad is the only train company that would do this. I would book with them directly rather than going through a tour company thereby skipping the middle man so to speak. I'm not interested in booking anything through the cruise line (I think it's called a pre-cruise).

I still have to check through some websites and even this Alaska Forum for information but just thought I would find out if anyone else has done this and how you liked it.

A few people have suggested in another Forum that we rent a car and do the drive to Denali but TBH I think I'd rather just do the train trip.

If anyone has any hints or tips having done this, I'm eager to get all the info I can!

Thanks in advance!

Check out http://www.alaskarailroad.com to see what is available. If I wanted to see Fairbanks I would start at Fairbanks and be sure to plan for two to three nights at Denali. You can look at their packages for ideas but it sounds like you want to plan your own trip. They will send you their schedule and fare prices if you request. I find it easier to have something I can leaf through.

I have a 62 page brochure with Summer 2017 schedules/fares/packages that they will send at your request online or from 1-800-544-0552.

Have you already, looked at each of these areas, and determined what you want to see and do there? Know how to accomplish your touring, know how much time is needed? IF not, I suggest you do that first before you just book a train. By far the scenic portion of the Alaska RR is Anchorage/Seward. Anchorage/Fairbanks, pretty much has common views of the Parks Highway. Problem is, you are looking out a window on a very small portion of Alaska, missing countless places of interest. It is restrictive being with a car. You may want to consider renting at the train destinations, although costly at Denali. Opens up a whole lot more touring.

If you continue with train travel, you really need to add at least an extra day compared to a road trip. The train is the slowest transit and hopefully you will want some activities where you are going.

xlxo - good point about visiting Vancouver. I haven't been there since I was a kid! We have a few friends there so we may stay a couple of extra days so he can do some salmon fishing.

oaktreerb - thanks I will get a booklet from Alaska Railroad. I also have to look through their website. I have a couple of other publications coming in the mail soon as well. No I'm not looking to plan everything on my own, quite the opposite. If I can find a 5 or 7 day train tour with hotels, etc and spending a couple of days in Denali, then that's the route I'd like to go. I know others have said you are limited on the train but not sure if I want to drive and do our own thing. Maybe laziness on my part???? I am thinking about flying into Fairbanks and working our way down from there. Either way the flight there or to Anchorage all have one connection.

Budget Queen - I have to sit down this weekend and research and look at everything. Definitely will do that before booking the train. Have to look at my options. Good point about allowing an extra day if doing the train.

If anyone has done the train Fairbanks/Anchorage, please let me know your experience. Always like to hear any tips, suggestions, etc.

Thanks all

If I can find a 5 or 7 day train tour with hotels, etc and spending a couple of days in Denali, then that's the route I'd like to go.

Here's what is offered by the Alaska Railroad: https://www.alaskarailroad.com/travel-planning/packages/summer-packages

Here's a 6 day trip: https://www.alaskarailroad.com/travel-planning/packages/alaskas-national-parks-by-rail

You will not want to do any backtracking. That is why I suggested starting in Fairbanks since you indicated you wanted to see Fairbanks. The 4 hour train ride from Fairbanks to Denali is not especially scenic until you get near the park. The bus is a lot faster (unless there is road construction). Some people find the 8 hour train ride from Denali to Anchorage boring but a lot of people enjoy it. The Goldstar Class is more expensive but the dome car, the narration, the bar service, the dining car and the forward facing seats would be worth it.

The cruise lines have their own private cars on the train and I have only experienced the HAL passenger cars but from what I have read the Goldstar Class is also a very nice way to travel.

If anyone has done the train Fairbanks/Anchorage, please let me know your experience. Always like to hear any tips, suggestions, etc.

Thanks all

Yes, I have taken the Alaska RR several times. You are best with a lot of time, in my opinion. The times I've gone Anchorage/Fairbanks, was when they used to have toursaver/northern lights coupons. :) Otherwise I'll fly or drive. Especially when I go up to Prudhoe a couple days, I don't want to leave a rental car.