Chef's Table Dress Code

CarnivalCreed

Does anyone know the particulars of the dress code? Is it formal or business casual? I was hoping to wear some dark blue jeans, Clarks desert boots, and a button up shirt. My girlfriend and I are leaving on the Fascination out of Puerto Rico in two weeks. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Be comfortable, you spend a few minutes in the kitchen and it gets pretty warm in there. If I remember correctly they do require that you wear close toed shoes for safety purposes.

Our Chef's Table invite "suggested" closed toed shoes. I followed the suggestion but several of the other ladies did not.

Wow, we have done Chef's Table on RCCL two times and couldn't imagine wearing anything less than formal attire. Ours was a very high end affair. Maybe Carnival is different but I'd be embarrassed to go in jeans......

Wow, we have done Chef's Table on RCCL two times and couldn't imagine wearing anything less than formal attire. Ours was a very high end affair. Maybe Carnival is different but I'd be embarrassed to go in jeans......

some people wear $200 jeans. it's how you rock 'em that makes the difference.

If I'm going to spend $95/person for a meal, I'm going to dress up. I was reading a recent review where there were photos of the reviewer's Chef's Table dining experience on the Vista posted. Two people in the photos wore sloppy looking jeans and I must say that they definitely looked out of place.

I don't care if you spend $1,000 on a pair of jeans or bedazzle the heck out of them, they're still ugly jeans and have no place at the Chef's Table or cruise elegant night in the MDR. I can hear all the jean lovers now defending their right to wear jeans to a $95/person dinner because there is no written in stone dress code and, after all, they paid good money for their cruise and they can wear whatever they want. I'm so tired of hearing this excuse, blah, blah, blah.

My dining experience will not be ruined by what other people wear but does anyone have any common sense out there?

Is this where people "insert comment on ugly tattoos" and their acceptability?

Maybe this is a style issue or your own comfort issue but wearing nice clothes isn't determined by the cost of dinner.

Maybe this is an age/generation issue for some.

What you wear doesn't determine who you are or how others feel.

If your dress code is so highfalutin for others, than maybe cruising isn't for you.

Come as you are, have good manners and be nice to others. A cruise would be great if everyone just treated fellow cruisers with gratitude instead of attitude

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Indeed, even if I still owned any jeans, and I grew out of them decades ago, I'd be embarrassed even to take them to the nearest give-away shop.

Your event may have been very "high end", as you say (you probably meant high-end), and all were well-dressed, If I could be sure that everyone else would at the very least wear a decent long-sleeved shirt to show willing and to have shown that they were prepared to make an effort I'd. be happy to pay the premium.

If I'm going to spend $95/person for a meal, I'm going to dress up. I was reading a recent review where there were photos of the reviewer's Chef's Table dining experience on the Vista posted. Two people in the photos wore sloppy looking jeans and I must say that they definitely looked out of place.

I don't care if you spend $1,000 on a pair of jeans or bedazzle the heck out of them, they're still ugly jeans and have no place at the Chef's Table or cruise elegant night in the MDR. I can hear all the jean lovers now defending their right to wear jeans to a $95/person dinner because there is no written in stone dress code and, after all, they paid good money for their cruise and they can wear whatever they want. I'm so tired of hearing this excuse, blah, blah, blah.

My dining experience will not be ruined by what other people wear but does anyone have any common sense out there?

You definitely belong on a different cruise line: and please take that as the intended compliment!

The letter I received states, "The dress code for the Chef's Table follows the dress code specified for that evening on board." So it will depend on the night you attend the Chef's table as to what you SHOULD wear. ;)

I'm not sure why you're slumming over here on the Carnival board, but for once I agree with you.

John Heald posted several videos of the Seabourn Sojourn on his page. It made me realize how much I'd appreciate all the touches that a high-end cruise line can offer. Seabourn is a line that nearly has a 1:1 crew to passenger ratio. Can you imagine? I'm looking at a Crystal cruise at present if ONLY because I want the service that type of cruise offers.

I digress. On Carnival I wouldn't expect people to dress up and some don't. It's what the line has become: the casual cruise of the seas. My husband appreciates this and even left his suit at home on our Breeze cruise. He was one of a whole slew of men who didn't wear a suit or jacket on elegant night.

He didn't wear a jacket to the Chef's Table either. Only one man at the table had a jacket on and that was a sports coat.

I think on Carnival your jeans will be just right. I agree a collared shirt would make the evening feel a bit better for you and your fellow guests. The food, by the way, was absolutely superb.

Hardly slumming. We used to cruise in the mass market (particularly when our kid was a kid (no Disney cruises then so we did Royal C). I wish someone "way back when" had convinced me to do more research and compare quality in light of "net daily rate." We'd have moved up to the premium ranks far sooner. So, I sometimes post here so that folks unhappy with their mass market experience will look further afield.

• 2 months later...

Gosh, stuffy much?

You apparently like tattoos but some people find them atrocious and tacky. To each his own. Do not judge less thee be jidged. If people wanna wear nice jeans then go ahead. I know I can get a nice pair of slacks for 5 bucks on cleaerence but not jeans. Anyway I was taught to worry about myself not others good lesson to be learned here.

Gosh, stuffy much?

You apparently like tattoos but some people find them atrocious and tacky. To each his own. Do not judge less thee be jidged. If people wanna wear nice jeans then go ahead. I know I can get a nice pair of slacks for 5 bucks on cleaerence but not jeans. Anyway I was taught to worry about myself not others good lesson to be learned here.

That's funny...I was taught to put the needs of others first and not be selfish. In my world it's not about what I want to wear but what I should wear so that my fellow passengers are not disturbed or uncomfortable. On Carnival this is a really low standard - collared shirt and slacks on elegant night.

This whole attitude of "me first and it's my vacation and I will do what I want" is completely flawed. It is not based in logic or sound principle. If you were seated next to a real life version of a Simpsons character, dirty shirt, BO, a$$ crack displayed in too small clothes who farted and burped his way through the meal and culminated in a drunken vomit on the table, even the self-proclaimed "do what you want It won't bother me" would be demanding their $95 pp back.

I don't think people are talking about that. There are some really nice dressy jeans out there that look nice with a button down and tie. Don't see why that is a big deal honestly. Heck in Bermuda their suits are nice collard shirt tie and Bermuda shorts. Would people be offended with a guy in a kilt? Its dressy in scottland.Cultures are different and a cruise is a melting pot. Nice dressy jeans and a tie? Pretty swanky to me.

Also is not being frustrated about another person's dress selfish in itself? I mean to a point that you want everyone to look exactly like you? If I was dressed nice and someone sat beside me looking like cap I'd be happy cause I would be much more handsome hahaha just kidding that's selfish too. Just be yourself we aren't robots.

Edited by timelordjason